Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
12 oz of canopy control coaching

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jan 9, 2006, 1:03 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1279 views)
Shortcut
12 oz of canopy control coaching Can't Post

With all the talk about canopy control coaching in the forums this week, I'd like to share what happened at my home dz yesterday in the hopes that others will consider doing the same thing.

Since I can't afford to jump hard but I enjoy being at the dropzone, I've been making a point of being in the landing area and videoing the swoopers. Yesterday I expanded the videoing to include the landings of all but the tandems. At the end of the day I plugged the camera into the TV in the hangar and tried to get as many people in to watch it as possible. There were about 10 of us, ranging in experience from fresh A license holders up to a few guys with 4000-ish jumps and a rating or two.

One of the more experienced guys had the remote and proceeded to use the footage to critique landings and offer up suggestions on how to improve them. In the time it took to drink a beer, several jumpers had learned some new stuff that just might keep them from injury later on, and certainly will help keep their gear cleaner longer.

You may think that because you don't know much about flying a parachute, there's nothing you can contribute when it comes to teaching others how to be safe in the pattern and when landing. You're wrong. If you have a camera and some time on your hands, head out to the landing area and get some video, then ask one of the people on the dz who do know canopy control and are able to teach to debrief the day's landings for anyone who is willing to sit, watch and listen. Everybody, regardless of experience, can learn from it.

catfishhunter  (D 28796)

Jan 9, 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic Idea..You should submit that to Parachutist/Skydiving..along with emailing to every DZ...
THANKS!

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Jan 9, 2006, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1176 views)
Shortcut

Good idea. I once saw a tv programme about pilots who land on aircraft carriers and one very interesting point is that all of the guys take turns in critiquing the landings of their peers and thought something similar would be cool at the dz. The problem is, finding someone with the time and experience to do it.

yamtx73  (B 29458)

Jan 9, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like a great idea, next time I'm at the dz I'll suggest it to a few people.

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jan 9, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The problem is, finding someone with the time and experience to do it.

Yup. During the day most of those with the knowledge are busy jumping, which is why informal coaching is spotty at best at most dz's. It's also why I'd encourage anyone with a camera (or even with access to a camera they can borrow) to get out in the landing area and film when they aren't jumping/packing - with a little practice anyone can get decent landing video (even whuffo family and friends).

Where I jump putting the video you took during the day up on the screen at the end of the day is encouraged, and some of those jumpers showing their footage do have the knowledge. I'm hoping that including landing footage in that mix will encourage them to step in and share what they know with all of us at a time when they aren't busy doing other things.

CrazyL  (D 17699)

Jan 9, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1129 views)
Shortcut

way 2 go! informal, effective, and free.Good to hear of skydivers working together to increase safety, for the love of the sport.

sleddog  (C 34960)

Jan 9, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CrazyL] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Idea.........It's so simple it might work!Smile

Elisha  (D 31656)

Jan 9, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1104 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Since I can't afford to jump hard but I enjoy being at the dropzone, I've been making a point of being in the landing area and videoing the swoopers. Yesterday I expanded the videoing to include the landings of all but the tandems. At the end of the day I plugged the camera into the TV in the hangar and tried to get as many people in to watch it as possible. There were about 10 of us, ranging in experience from fresh A license holders up to a few guys with 4000-ish jumps and a rating or two.

Want to do it again on Monday (MLK day)? Pretty please?Smile (And please, Blue Skies)

brianfry713  (D 28665)

Jan 18, 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #9 of 15 (909 views)
Shortcut

Thanks a lot for doing this Lisa and Keith and Perry and everyone else who watched and helped give me advice. It's also good to watch the videos of the good swoopers and hopefully pick something up.

I was one of the ones who hopefully learned some things that will keep me from killing myself by making a low front riser dive. While doing it, I knew I was low, but it's a whole different experience watching it from an outside perspective. Watching my canopy diving at the ground without altitude to recover on the video made me realize that I need to start a lot higher. I'll do my best to improve and not have to rely on being able to dig out at the last possible second.

I also learned a valuable lessen about avoiding the wake turbulence of a landing parachute in front of me. While it happened, all I felt was a sudden lack of flare at a bad time. After watching the video I could really see what my canopy was doing, diving close to the ground without any input due to the turbulence.

The videos also showed us how dangerous and chaotic it can be when some jumpers are landing South and others North on the same load on a no wind day.

I've been lucky to escape serious injury so far and always welcome any advice people have for me. Thanks again Lisa for the firewire copies of Monday's jumps as well.

CrazyL  (D 17699)

Jan 18, 2006, 4:14 PM
Post #10 of 15 (876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brianfry713] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds as if the effort of the jumpers was well worth it. Glad to hear you gained from the videos. Learning about the front riser dives: Sounds like you've experienced using a technique to save your ass during the landing part of the trick. You got the right idea in starting the front riser approach higher. Stabbing the brakes to get out of a low turn situation is a good 'save your ass' technique. Something else to try is performing the routine you wish to do for landing several times higher than your decision altitude(higher than 1500') while watching for traffic and getting into position to set up. While up high try to time how long you dive(seconds),and how many feet(alti) it took to recover w/o using toggles. If you don't have a progression method yet for adding speed to landings ask me.

bodypilot1  (D 16037)

Jan 18, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #11 of 15 (842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brianfry713] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been lucky to escape serious injury so far and always welcome any advice people have for me.

Here's one then, "Dont land in a Blackberry Patch". SmileLaughTongue

Be safe
Ed

Elisha  (D 31656)

Jan 18, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #12 of 15 (824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elisha] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Want to do it again on Monday (MLK day)? Pretty please?Smile (And please, Blue Skies)

Brian, props for bumping....

Yes, Lisa and Keith, thank you! Drink the beer I left behind!

I guess that since no one said I did anything bad on landing that I should just keep doing what I'm doing...

(and not try any Mr. Bill's either) (Brian, I made a note in my logbook.)

Elisha  (D 31656)

Jan 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #13 of 15 (822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bodypilot1] 12 oz of canopy control coaching [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've been lucky to escape serious injury so far and always welcome any advice people have for me.

Here's one then, "Dont land in a Blackberry Patch". SmileLaughTongue

Be safe
Ed

..or in yucky mud.

I'm disappointed with my front risers...but then I'm only about 1:1 on a Sabre1-150. Want to downsize and get something newer, but $$$....of course.

Trae  (Student)

Jan 19, 2006, 5:00 AM
Post #14 of 15 (801 views)
Shortcut

Smile
Good Stuff Skybytch.

I bet it was fun as wellWink

Elisha  (D 31656)

Jan 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #15 of 15 (774 views)
Shortcut