Forums: Archive: World Team 2006:
Medical Insurance during WT

mirage62  (C 15580)

Dec 21, 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Medical Insurance during WT Can't Post

Hey checking to see if I am covered but have a feeling I may not be. A friend sent me the following link:

https://www.specialtyrisk.com/insurance/liaisoninternational/quote.cfm?agent_id=%25%29I%3B%2CZ%5CQ%20%0A

Sorry don't know how to clicky.

Anybody have any suggestions?

katecooper  (D 7333)

Dec 21, 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mirage62] Medical Insurance during WT [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ihi.com/english.asp

Covers most anything, excludes virtually nothing, is inexpensive and comprehensive.

I have a friend who used this for emergency surgery and flight home after a climbing accident. 4 star service.

I keep an annual policy to cover all my out of country adventures.

kate

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Dec 21, 2005, 5:29 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mirage62] Medical Insurance during WT [In reply to] Can't Post

Clickies:

Specialtyrisk.com

I have purchased Specialty Risk policies many times over the past few years since they have assured me in writing that the "hazardous sports" coverage specifically relating to "parachuting" includes *legal* BASE jumping as well as skydiving. Having said that, I have never had to claim against a policy with Specialty Risk and as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Knowing how UK travel insurance companies have withdrawn from covering BASE completely, and are increasingly doing so with skydiving, I would be wary of a policy that covers "everything" and would endeavour to get in writing that they cover the particular activities I would be undertaking. IHI's brochure says "No restrictions on hazardous sports".

(Notso)Small-print aside, comparing on a purely financial level, for the same period of time (21 days) IHI quoted $123 (plus $22 UK premium tax) although this does not tally with the $3.75 daily rate stated in the brochure. For this length of time, it is almost worth taking out the annual policy ($150 plus $26 UK premium tax). Whereas Specialty Risk quoted $56.32 for a medical maximum of $1,000,000 and a $100 deductible. IHI's maximum cover appears to be $300,000 with no deductible. Specialty Risk's brochure

Specialty Risk appears to be better value, with more coverage over shorter periods. Your mileage may vary.

SteveWatson  (D 10178)

Dec 22, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [katecooper] Medical Insurance during WT [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kate,
Just curious, Did you claim on this insurance when you damaged your shoulder on WT '04 ??

If so, any red tape, or did they just do what they say they'll do??

Cheers
Steve

katecooper  (D 7333)

Dec 22, 2005, 8:26 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SteveWatson] Medical Insurance during WT [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Steve
I didn't because my in country hospital bills in Thailand came to a whopping $16 (that included x-rays and medication). I had the actual surgery done after return. The IHI is only for emergency services provided in country. I did contact them however when I was injured and they assured me that they would handle everything and anything necessary.

The friend I spoke of in the earlier post had emergency surgery done on his ankle, had a week long hospital stay, was transported to airport via ambulance and flown home business class--all courtesy of IHI without hassle.

That impressed me enough to carry an annual policy with them. Especially since they don't flinch at words like Skydiivng, Scuba diving, or BASE jumping.

k

SteveWatson  (D 10178)

Dec 22, 2005, 9:56 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kate,
Thanks for that.
They sound pretty good, I'll definitely check them out when my own policy comes up for renewal.

Cheers
Steve

SteveWatson  (D 10178)

Dec 23, 2005, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1304 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The friend I spoke of in the earlier post had emergency surgery done on his ankle, had a week long hospital stay, was transported to airport via ambulance and flown home business class--all courtesy of IHI without hassle.

That impressed me enough to carry an annual policy with them. Especially since they don't flinch at words like Skydiivng, Scuba diving, or BASE jumping.

k
Hi Kate (again),
Just wondering which country your friend hurt himself in?
I take it that he lives in the USA? (well, it could be Denmark, or anywhere for that matter :~)

Although IHI's $300,000 USD max cover per trip would probably be ok for somewhere like Thailand. I'm not so sure it would be ok if a visitor had a serious accident in the USA.

I understand that lengthy hospital treatment can be quite expensive over there.

Cheers
Steve

PS
Reason for asking is for "Insurance again" thread, on UK.REC.Skydiving:
http://groups.google.com/...rec.skydiving?lnk=lr

katecooper  (D 7333)

Dec 23, 2005, 8:58 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1271 views)
Shortcut

He lives in Denmark (Good guess) and was injured in Canada.

k

SteveWatson  (D 10178)

Dec 23, 2005, 9:52 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1257 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
He lives in Denmark (Good guess) and was injured in Canada.

k
Thanks again Kate.

HMmmmm!
That puts a new twist on it, for me that is.

How do medical costs in Canada compare to those in the states?
More, less, or about the same?

I'm guessing that they're about the same.
As most of the world-wide annual deals that I've looked at usually group USA and Canada together for additional charges.
Any Canadians out there want to chip in on this?
Much appreciated.

Steve

rbisson  (D 641)

Dec 23, 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1246 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
How do medical costs in Canada compare to those in the states?
More, less, or about the same?

I'm guessing that they're about the same.
As most of the world-wide annual deals that I've looked at usually group USA and Canada together for additional charges.
Any Canadians out there want to chip in on this?
Much appreciated.

Steve

Hard to tell... we're covered by our provincial government insurance and never really see the $$$.

I would tend to believe that the costs are a bit lower than in the U.S.

Richard.

gjhdiver  (D 7731)

Jan 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1037 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Covers most anything, excludes virtually nothing, is inexpensive and comprehensive.

I have a friend who used this for emergency surgery and flight home after a climbing accident. 4 star service.

I keep an annual policy to cover all my out of country adventures.

kate

Just called them and got a year's policy for only $6 more than it would have cost for just coverage for the Thailand trip. Now I'm covered for all my skydiving work abroad this year.

foxyroxtail  (D 21592)

Jan 16, 2006, 2:21 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gjhdiver] Medical Insurance during WT [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info - I was just coming here to get the web link and see if it was too late to get this. We too will have other out-of-country travel this year and are looking at the annual policy!

You saved me a step or two!

Pam

Forums : Archive : World Team 2006

Search for (options)