Las chicas de Puerto Rico

skycutie  (B 24537)

Dec 2, 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Las chicas de Puerto Rico Can't Post

http://www.prwow.com/...tail_new.asp?SORT=30

Wink

(This post was edited by skycutie on Dec 2, 2005, 11:04 AM)

pkasdorf  (D 40)

Dec 3, 2005, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skycutie] Las chicas de Puerto Rico [In reply to] Can't Post

¡¡Buenaaaa!!

piisfish

Dec 4, 2005, 2:23 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1529 views)
Shortcut

para mi, lo que dice el articulo :
Quote:
Local News
Nat'l / Int'l News
Business News
ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/html/fullstory_detail_new.asp, line 603
Unsure

skycutie  (B 24537)

Dec 15, 2005, 7:54 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Las chicas de Puerto Rico [In reply to] Can't Post

Aquí está la historia, es que la tuvieron arriba una semana y después la quitaron.

Female skydivers in Puerto Rico: Their ultimate rush
Editor's Note: As requested by our readers, we are repeating this story on female skydivers in Puerto Rico. By Melissa B. Gonzalez Valentin
Of PRWOW News

Jessica Pazos, 27, is a fearless public relations account supervisor who loves skydiving, but is scared to death of riding a bicycle or any type of skates.

Christie Miró, 28, is a stage actress-recently turned entrepreneur who sells skydiving suits. She has more than 400 jumps under her belt, but suffers from a serious case of vertigo if she even peeks out of a window from a 20-story building.

What do these two walking contradictions have in common? Well, they belong to an elite group of female skydivers in Puerto Rico, who live for the thrill of flying; a thrill that many consider too risky and definitely not for the faint of heart.

As a matter of fact, there are less than 10 women practicing the sport in Puerto Rico.

Jessica and Christie both have hectic lives now and don’t skydive as often as they used to, but whenever they need to take a breather, they pack their skydiving gear and jump from a plane more than 10,000 feet above the ground.

“I think it is in my nature. One time a friend of mine told me he was taking skydiving lessons and I joined him. I never stopped to think about it. It was totally impulsive,” Jessica said about the first time she took a plunge into thin air.

Christie has another theory to explain her passion for skydiving.

“I’m an adrenaline junkie,” she laughed out loud.

In addition to the fact that she is the youngest of three girls and daughter to a former Army officer who instilled in her a love of adventure, Christie is convinced that, like her skydiving buddies, she shares this biological need to engage in activities that stimulate the adrenal glands, which are responsible for producing stress hormones.

“When I started skydiving six years ago, I got so hooked on it that I even got a job packing parachutes. I knew that for every four parachutes that I packed, I had a jump. My hands were all callous and my back hurt, but I had to do it,” Christie said.

Skydiving is an expensive sport. First-timers pay as much as $200 for a tandem jump—that is, strapped to an instructor’s chest. Subsequent jumps cost approximately $175. Those who are serious about the sport, like Jessica and Christie, can spend as much as $4,000 in new suits, parachutes, equipment, and skydiving classes.

When asked about why they enjoy so much risking their lives up in the air, they say “well, why not?” Perhaps their explanation could be better understood if we consider the origins of this daring sport. We’ll see that while they belong to a selected few in Puerto Rico, they are by no means the first women to live out their passion for skydiving.

Jason Gonzalez, drop zone operator of the only skydiving company in Puerto Rico, Xtremedivers, the sport has been on the island for only 10 years, but parachuting has been around for centuries. Leonardo Da Vinci began designing parachutes in the 15th century. However, the first successful parachute descent from a great height was made in 1797 by French aeronaut Jacques Garnerin, dropping 3,000 feet from a balloon. History records place women parachuting since the end of the 18th century, when Garnerin’s wife, Geneviève Labrosse, became the first woman to ever do a parachute jump in 1798. Later in the 20th century, American-born Georgia ‘Tiny’ Broadwick, became the first woman to jump from an airplane in 1913.

Parachute design has been perfected throughout history. First, it was the invention of the harness by Captain Thomas Baldwin in 1887. Then came the folding method, by Paul Letterman and Kathchen Paulus in 1890. Today, modern digital devices are able to monitor freefall speed to automatically deploy the parachute in case the diver is unable to do so.

Christie has had friends sustain serious injuries as a result of skydiving. She herself has suffered from a fractured elbow, and Jessica has never fully recovered the mobility in one of her ankles, which she broke during a faulty landing. But for these adventure lovers, that is all right.

“Having our parachutes is like having a safety blanket,” said Christie when asked about her bouts with vertigo when she is not off jumping from an airplane. As a matter of fact, parachuting has been a lifesaving alternative for aircraft passengers ever since World War I. In peace time, it continues to hold its lifesaving properties. An activity regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration through the United States Parachuting Association, every precaution is taken to prepare for a jump. For example, in addition to being licensed to practice the sport, the pilot carrying the skydivers is always in contact with the tower control to make sure that they don’t collide with nearby aircrafts. Weather conditions, clarity, and wind factor are all taken into consideration when planning for a jump and landing. And, as mentioned earlier, parachuting equipment has been perfected to perform even when the diver is unable to do so alone. Furthermore, USPA statistics show that about 30 people die annually in parachuting accidents in the United States. These accidents usually happen among experienced skydivers under fully deployed canopies and often due to human error in managing high-performance (fast) parachutes close to landing. So, when seen from that perspective, skydiving seems like a very safe sport. But in the end, and like everything else in life, it is a matter of taste, and in the case of women such as Christie and Jessica, a way of life.

ChangoLanzao  (D License)

Dec 15, 2005, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1472 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Aquí está la historia, es que la tuvieron arriba una semana y después la quitaron.

¡Órale! Está buenísima esa historia del las chicas supersimpáticas saltadoras de PR Cool La próxima vez que paso por allá les voy a pedir autógrafos Smile

HISPA#D44

(This post was edited by ChangoLanzao on Dec 15, 2005, 1:31 PM)

droquette  (C 34946)

Dec 15, 2005, 6:31 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChangoLanzao] Las chicas de Puerto Rico [In reply to] Can't Post

Tremendo articulo chicas!!! Que Orgullo Boricua!!!

Blue Skies,

Dan

mirochristie  (D 28598)

Dec 20, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [droquette] Las chicas de Puerto Rico [In reply to] Can't Post

Sí, mano.. súper cool!
no lo había leído. se botaron en casiano comunications.

gracias jess!Wink

Forums : International : Foro de Salto libre

Search for (options)