Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
5pt-10way on 15th jump

kopelen  (D 25050)

Aug 7, 2002, 10:38 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1077 views)
Shortcut
5pt-10way on 15th jump Can't Post

I am trying to figure this out. If you are just coming off of student status at 15 jumps, do you think a 5pt 1o way jump is abrupt for a student on his or her 15 jump??? Any instructors out there have any imput on this? thanks!Smile

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Aug 7, 2002, 10:43 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kopelen] 5pt-10way on 15th jump [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it depends on how much time in the tunnel he was able to scam at tax-payer expense AND if all the other jumpers were at least USPA coaches or equivilent. Wink

BTW, I think this may have been the case in this particular instance. Shocked

(This post was edited by quade on Aug 7, 2002, 10:54 AM)

cbain  (D 25839)

Aug 7, 2002, 10:50 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1047 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am trying to figure this out. If you are just coming off of student status at 15 jumps, do you think a 5pt 1o way jump is abrupt for a student on his or her 15 jump??? Any instructors out there have any imput on this? thanks!Smile

Some people were organizing an SCR jump (1 pt. 8 way) for my graduation (20th) jump and it was called off due to safety concerns. Just coming off student status it can be freaky seeing 7 other people in the air with you instead of one.

Now I have 150 jumps and I still probably couldn't turn 5 pts on a 10 way. I think my best yet is only 4 pt on 6 way.

I guess it depends on the person, but personally I wouldn't do it.

Christina

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Aug 7, 2002, 11:13 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1038 views)
Shortcut
[cool]Re: [kopelen] 5pt-10way on 15th jump [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that would depend on how adept the "student" showed himself to be. If you are referring to Joey D'Annunzio, then I guess you would have to take into account that he had tunnel time and was a natural talent. He was far from being as squared away as another recent graduate though. Sean Sweeny (18 years old; ex GK Mike Sweeny's son) did AFF last week with Raff, myself, and Tim Tennant. He did about 20 points of three way on his second jump, then completed EVERY single AFF TLO (minus the other exit type) on his next jump. It may have helped that he had well over 100 hours in the wind tunnel, but I don't know...Wink In the end, we actually did all the requisite number of AFF instructor-accompanied jumps just to check the block, but he was completly finished in two days. I was his "I" on his last three "legalizing" jumps.

Chuck

Viking  (B 30397)

Aug 9, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #5 of 6 (904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkymonkeyONE] [cool]Re: [kopelen] 5pt-10way on 15th jump [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope he doesn't get cocky b/c of all that.

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Aug 10, 2002, 7:21 PM
Post #6 of 6 (843 views)
Shortcut

Depends entirely on who is on the jump, what training the jumper has, and what experience he's had. I did a six point 12 way around jump 40-50, and for a while I thought that I was amazing. Years later I read the signatures and saw Kate Cooper, Tony Domenico, John Eagle, John Hamilton, Linda Hardesty . . . They were towing me through the jump, and all had enough experience to deal with my clumsiness.

A lot of jumpers today go right into RW coaching, and combined with tunnel time, you can get incredibly good in a short time. A friend of mine started a few years back but got into doing 10-20 ways with very experienced jumpers almost right away - now she has 500 jumps and just got invited on the 300-way, and jumps like someone with thousands. It's all in your background.

Combine those two factors - take someone naturally good, with wind tunnel time and good experience, and put good people around him - heck, you could do a 100-way safely with him. All too often, though, people use such logic for less than stellar jumpers on dives where all the other jumpers are not AFF-I's, and the results can be pretty dismal (and even downright dangerous.) In this sport, no one wants to admit they might not be the best there ever was.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)