Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Packing Hesitations

FallinWoman  (C 32269)

May 29, 2001, 8:56 AM
Post #1 of 4 (830 views)
Shortcut
Packing Hesitations Can't Post

Is it possible to pack a spring pilot chute so it is more likely to hesitate?
I am still using my dropzone's gear. When I pull on my first jump of the day, I always have a hesitation. After I pack it, I haven't had the same problem. Is this coincidence or something about the way it is being packed?

I asked my rigger and his response was that it is time for me to go to throw out. True, but I am still curious about why this is happening!

Blue skies,
FallinWoman

SpeedRacer  (B 26329)

May 29, 2001, 12:42 PM
Post #2 of 4 (799 views)
Shortcut
Re: Packing Hesitations [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to have the occasional PC hesitation when I used the student rigs at my DZ. The problem is that when you pull a ripcord the pilot chute pops straight up & can get caught in the burble behind your back, thus causing a hesitation. With the BOC, you toss the pilot chute out to the side so that it won't get caught in the burble.

This year at my DZ they switched all the student rigs from ripcord to BOC.

Speed Racer

"De plaene!! De plaene!!"

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)
May 29, 2001, 5:03 PM
Post #3 of 4 (776 views)
Shortcut

I am 6'2" and have a large frame. When I jump military rigs with a spring-loaded pilot chute, I always check over my shoulder by turning my head to the right to ensure the pilot chute launches. If I don't it almost always hesitates in the big burble behind me. Pull your ripcord and look over your shoulder until the pilot chute launches.

Respectfully,
SP

riggerrob  (D 14840)

May 30, 2001, 8:05 AM
Post #4 of 4 (733 views)
Shortcut

Esoterica ...
It is possible to pack a spring-loaded pilotchute so that it hesitates. If the spring is cylindrical and you forget to stuff fabric in between the coils, the spring might "lock up" and never fully extend.
From a practical point of view, get with the 1980s sister! Convert to hand-deploy.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)