Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
1st AFF

divegoddess  (C License)

Sep 22, 2005, 7:56 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1018 views)
Shortcut
1st AFF Can't Post

Going to ground school tomorrow.YAY! first AFF jumpSmile I'm thinking about getting video as a learning tool. Wondering what everyone's opinion on this is? Will it be too overwhelming on the first jump. Is it worth it to have the video as a learning tool?

Peej  (B 2456)

Sep 22, 2005, 8:14 AM
Post #2 of 15 (995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [divegoddess] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there,

That's fantastic that you're gonna do the first! If you can afford i say get the first, it's always nice to be able to look back and see your first jump again further on in your skydiving career. Chances are you won't even notice the camera guy on your jump due to the sensory overload though.

Enjoy!

QSilver2005  (B 2555)

Sep 22, 2005, 8:25 AM
Post #3 of 15 (989 views)
Shortcut

AFF is awesome have fun and enjoy. I did my 1st AFF in August and did not do the video thing, looking back I should have even if it was just to remember the first time I did it. If you have the cash I would say do it. I was so busy with the task of the jump and looking at the signals from my instructors that I cant imagine that I would have noticed the camera man. Let us know how your jump was!

MarkM  (C 35089)

Sep 22, 2005, 10:01 AM
Post #4 of 15 (960 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Is it worth it to have the video as a learning tool?

Video is real nice as a learning tool. You probably won't be aware at all what you're doing with your body up in the air(especially your legs) and with video you can see 1st hand what issues you might have.

Jackpunx  (A 48431)

Sep 22, 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #5 of 15 (956 views)
Shortcut

I did my first jump.. and I did notice the camera.. It was a blast.. a little embarrassing.. You can see the brain overloading.. but once I got past the circle of awareness and 3 practice pulls it was all about the camera and enjoying the rest of the ride before lock on and pull..
Its totally worth it.. it made my second jump so much easier.. They say you should go through it over and over in your head to burn your procedures into your brain.. well.. being new.. I needed the vid to see it..
My second jump was waaaayyyy better and I enjoyed it even more if you can imagine that.. it felt longer and like I was actually in control..
it was because of having the vid that I was able to visualize it in my head..
Im doing level 3 and 4 this weekend.. and probably some wind tunnel.. if I run into any trouble getting through the next couple of levels Ill video again so I can see where Im at..
Good luck..
If money isnt an issue.. go for it.. You only have a 1st jump ONE time
Mark

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Sep 22, 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #6 of 15 (953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarkM] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

Video is a great training tool.
Don't expect much more than 2 or 3 seconds of "face" shots.
You probably won't even notice the cameraman because the best cameramen avoid flying in your face. Their job is to record leg position and what your right hand was doing at pull-time.

kelpdiver  (B 7)

Sep 22, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #7 of 15 (903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

For learning purposes (rather than the memorableness of #1), is AFF-1 the one to tape?
Or is #2 better, when you have turns and forward motion to try?

Personally I found that the presense of a camera increases the odds that I would pass the level. Nothing like performing for the audience. But at 75-90$ a pop....

rsmn17  (A 49340)

Sep 22, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 15 (892 views)
Shortcut

I had my first aff on tape and I was worried about the cameraguy too...but I really didn't notice him until he was right in front of me waving (he was actually in front of me the whole time but I didn't see him)! Anyway, it definatly helps to have video because you probably won't remember what you did wrong as far as body position goes. I thought my leg position was perfect until I saw the video and realized when I go to pull I kick my legs. If you can afford it see if your dz will give you a discount so you can get them all taped...it will help you...and you can show it to EVERYBODYWink And if you can't get them all taped because of money issues, see if they can get your landings anyway...my dz does that for free. That's extremely helpful for me because my landings kinda suck! Good luck with AFF...you'll do great! Let us know how it goesSmile

Joellercoaster  (D 105792)

Sep 23, 2005, 9:48 AM
Post #9 of 15 (834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelpdiver] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

Best of both worlds - have your AFFI wearing a camera. No distractions on the way down, and you get exactly the information you want, because it's what your instructor is looking at too. Some places do this for all their AFF jumps as a matter of course... I found it incredibly helpful when I did mine.

divegoddess  (C License)

Sep 23, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #10 of 15 (823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Joellercoaster] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks

Mike111

Sep 25, 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #11 of 15 (795 views)
Shortcut

Its a good nenoyr of your course to so you can watch it over and over again!!!!WinkWink

divegoddess  (C License)

Sep 25, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #12 of 15 (784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike111] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeSlySly
Oh my friggin head how am I going to get more money to jump again?
First AFF down.. on to next catagory.
ground school went by so quick... I'm not really happy with my jump though.BUT MAN did I have fun!!!
As I was reaching to pull, I realized my JM had pulled for me Frown I just hesitated a second too long.(I was actually concentrating on the altimeter too hard) I guess she thought I forgot Unimpressed It kind of freaked me out a little.... It wasn't there when I reached for it. I reached for it again and the just as I was thinking about my training for reserve.... I noticed I had a canopy over my head... there and square. ...
Aside from that my exit went well, and I was nice and stable.... hopefully I'll get at least one pic up. My JMs were two of the most kick ass chicks that I have met. The one really nice thing they had to say( and made me feel better) was that my arch was nice. I can't wait to jump again.
I learned SO much from one jump and I can't wait to learn more and improve what I've learned.

I did get the video, and it's definately worth it. I noticed LOTS of stuff that I want to work on for my next level. I'll cough up the dough for each level. Thanks for talking me into it.

Blue skies
~Amanda

OSOK  (A 48456)

Sep 25, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #13 of 15 (781 views)
Shortcut

Congrats!!!

At what altitude were you supposed to pull? Do you know how high were you when you tried reaching?

divegoddess  (C License)

Sep 26, 2005, 6:32 PM
Post #14 of 15 (745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OSOK] 1st AFF [In reply to] Can't Post

I was supposed to pull at 5000 and I reached for it at about 4800. My JM said she saw my hand coming back, but she had already started to pull for me and did not want to stop in the middle. So they really weren't too worried about it.
I just hesitated a second too long when I saw 5500. It's so hard to tell with the stop watch. I had to do it once and now I know for next time.
Smile

Ragnarok  (B 31226)

Sep 26, 2005, 6:41 PM
Post #15 of 15 (743 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations and Welcome! Even though I have just 18 jumps (22 or more by the weekend....!) I still remember my first jump fondly. You have an amazing and thrilling life ahead of you coming into the greatest sport ever. Try not to be too hard on yourself, it really does take a few jumps to get things. Arch, relax, it's all good!

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)