Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Fatality - Texel - 17 September 2005

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

USPA  (D 81812)

Sep 17, 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #1 of 232 (12938 views)
Shortcut
Fatality - Texel - 17 September 2005 Can't Post

From the dutch discussion forum (http://www.para-forum.nl) (this is confirmed)

Quote:
Het spijt ons bijzonder te moeten mededelen dat Adrian Nicolas deze zaterdag 17 september 2005 om omstreeks 15:30 uur is overleden.

Adrian was een zeer ervaren Britse parachutist met vele duizenden sprongen. Tijdens zijn achtste sprong vanmiddag zette hij met zijn hoofdparachute een gevorderde landingsmanoeuvre in. Tijdens deze goed uitgevoerde landing opende op ongeveer 100 meter hoogte zijn automatische opener de reserveparachute. Doordat beide parachutes geopend waren is zijn lichaam in een horizontale stand getrokken. Vlak voordat hij de grond raakte heeft hij nog geprobeerd dit te corrigeren door de hoofdparachute los te koppelen. Ondanks dat dit lukte is hij toch dermate hard geland dat hij later ter plekke aan zijn verwondingen is overleden. Reanimatie en ingeroepen personeel van de traumahelikopter hebben niet mogen baten.

Ons medeleven gaat uit naar zijn vriendin, dochter, familie en vrienden.

Paracentrum Texel

Translation:

With deep regret and sorrow we announce the death of Adrian Nicolas this saturday 17 september 2005 at around 3:30 pm.

Adrian was a highly experienced British parachutist with many thousands of jumps. During his 8th jump this afternoon he performed an expert landingmanouvre. During this correctly executed manouvre his AAD opened his reserve parachute at aproximatly 300 feet. His body was pulled in a horizontal direction because both parachutes were open. Just before he hit the ground he tried to correct this by release his main canopy. Even so he made such a hard landing that he died on the scene because of his injuries. CPR and emergency responds helicopter personel weren't able to save him.

Our compasion goes out to his girlfriend, daughter, family and friends.

Paracentrum Texel

-----------

The AAD is said to be a Cypres.

(This post was edited by Tonto on Oct 12, 2005, 4:50 AM)

hobbes4star  (B 24739)

Sep 17, 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #2 of 232 (12748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [USPA] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

is this the first incident where a hook turn has caused an aad to fire?

(This post was edited by hobbes4star on Sep 17, 2005, 12:53 PM)

Kingkong  (D 4603)

Sep 17, 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #3 of 232 (12706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [USPA] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
The AAD is said to be a Cypres

This is a terrible, terrible loss. Adrian was one of the truly good guys. My heart goes out to his girlfriend and his little daughter and to family and friends in Sweden, England and the US.

Q: can anyone confirm the info about the AAD being a Cypres?

BSBD,

/O.J

(This post was edited by Kingkong on Sep 17, 2005, 1:15 PM)

ParaShoot  (D 22759)

Sep 17, 2005, 1:01 PM
Post #4 of 232 (12690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hobbes4star] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

My deepest condolences to his wife Catherina, (I think) their one year old daughter, his family and friends.

As far as I know was this the 4th AAD fire at a swoop.

I heard about:
Fred Fgen in Empuriabrava Spain
Jay Moledski in Canada

And saw from 1.000 ft above:
Jonathan Tagle in Lapalisse France

All 3 were lucky to have 2 canopies out behind each other and not in a downplane.

During a swoop with a turn over 540 the chance of getting to the activation speed of an AAD is really high. Both Cypres and Vigil are aware of that. Vigil is working on an "extreme" version with a kind of an option to switch of for swooping.

It should be shouted out LOUD: When you're planning to perform a high speed swoop with 1 or more rotations don't switch on your AAD.

This tragic accident could have been prevented when the AAD manufacturers would have warned more clearly about being so close to the activation speed.

Zenister  (A 42)

Sep 17, 2005, 1:30 PM
Post #5 of 232 (12626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ParaShoot] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
My deepest condolences to his wife Catherina, (I think) their one year old daughter, his family and friends.

As far as I know was this the 4th AAD fire at a swoop.

I heard about:
Fred Fgen in Empuriabrava Spain
Jay Moledski in Canada

And saw from 1.000 ft above:
Jonathan Tagle in Lapalisse France

Andy H of Airspeed had his Vigil fire about 10 feet off the deck in a swoop.. landed safe and uneventfully but spooked everyone on the tram quite a bit..

Mike111

Sep 17, 2005, 2:26 PM
Post #6 of 232 (12535 views)
Shortcut

i met Adrian once,. he went to my old school (Aldenham, Elstree Herts) and did a lecture for us 2 years ago. and was the reason i got started skydiving.

He was an inspiration and a truly wonderful person with a great sense of humour.

may i offer my sincere condolences to all his family and friends

This is truly very sad. FrownFrown

(This post was edited by Mike111 on Sep 17, 2005, 3:56 PM)

ccowden

Sep 17, 2005, 2:26 PM
Post #7 of 232 (12537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ParaShoot] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I was always under the assumption that you had to pass through 750ft at the activation speed for a Cypres to fire. Is this not true? Can you have a Cypres fire at 300 feet if you reach activation speeds at that point even though at 750ft you were much slower than that? This incident is leading me to believe this is in fact what happened.

USPA  (D 81812)

Sep 17, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #8 of 232 (12533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccowden] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

A cypres will fire between 750 feet and 120 feet, if vertical speeds exceed 35 m/s.

NickDG  (D 8904)

Sep 17, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #9 of 232 (12515 views)
Shortcut

Oh, Adrian . . .

Man . . . !

NickD
BASE 194

ccowden

Sep 17, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #10 of 232 (12506 views)
Shortcut

Good to know. So pretty much, if you are gonna do high performance landing techniques, you shouldn't have an AAD turned on. I would think that even in the case of a 270 degree turn, you come dangerously close to those speeds. Maybe unlikely, but too close for taking the chance. Are these correct assumptions?

avenfoto  (A 44631)

Sep 17, 2005, 2:51 PM
Post #11 of 232 (12477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccowden] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

this is the davinci test nicolas? also on "good stuff" for the tracking distance?... fucking bummer
condolences, and vibes from the east coast...
bsbdFrown

Premier skydiverek  (C 41769)

Sep 17, 2005, 3:05 PM
Post #12 of 232 (12450 views)
Shortcut

On AADs:

ASTRA can be switched off manually while under canopy (switch is close to mud flap). I know - "Astra" Crazy...

ARGUS has a "swoop mode", meaning it will go into standby mode once it detects that there has been an opening shock with substantial deceleration.

Why havn't we heard about all these previous under-canopy fires mentioned in this thread Mad? Even the latest issue of Skydiving magazine says that "althought jumpers worry that radial low-altitude canopy maneuvers could cause an AAD to fire, it apparently hasn't happened yet" (Page 10, September 2005).

To ParaShoot and Zenister users - since you registered in 2002, why havn't you posted this info earlier? Politics? Conflict of intrest? Or maybe you have posted it here Unimpressed?

BTW, here is an interview with Adrian: http://www.bpa.org.uk/...le/adriannichols.htm

BSBD Frown !

(This post was edited by skydiverek on Sep 17, 2005, 3:23 PM)

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Sep 17, 2005, 3:43 PM
Post #13 of 232 (12388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverek] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

>Why havn't we heard about all these previous under-canopy fires mentioned in this thread?

It's been discussed in several other threads. This is the one about the cypres fire:

http://www.dropzone.com/...pres%20fire;#1069692

>why havn't you posted this info earlier? Politics? Conflict of intrest?

No one here is under any obligation to post anything. It is up to readers to educate themselves on topics they find important.

Bolas  (D License)

Sep 17, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #14 of 232 (12381 views)
Shortcut

When swooping you can get 78 mph vertical speed?

I had heard of AAD's firing, if they were in student mode.

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Sep 17, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #15 of 232 (12335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bolas] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

Very, very easily. I was clocked at over 90 mph in a dive with less than 10 jumps on a VX-60.

I jumped a Cypres with an FX-70 at 2.6:1 without any problems, but took it out for the VX-60 at 3.1:1. Airtec could not comfim that it would not fire from diving the canopy. I didn't want to risk it.

An AAD can only sense air pressure, which it them must convert to altitude and rate of descent. Canopy speeds are beginning to over-lap with freefall speeds (look at wing suit-canopy docks), which is going to create a problem for AAD use.

If you use an AAD, you should read the manual and fully understand it's use, operating parameters, and it's limitations. The information is available. It is your life and there is no excuse for not knowing.

Derek

ccowden

Sep 17, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #16 of 232 (12229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bolas] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I had heard of AAD's firing, if they were in student mode.

Jay was just clocked at 91mph AT THE GATES. So it would stand to reason that he was around that 78mph mark vertical descent at some point during his dive. I know I am not reaching speeds anywhere close to that, but 78mph is not that fast. Even if you are hitting 60mph, 18mph is too close for me to feel comfortable.

This is something that I need to do some serious research about and gain understanding.

(This post was edited by ccowden on Sep 17, 2005, 5:37 PM)

sundevil777  (D License)

Sep 17, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #17 of 232 (12143 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I was always under the assumption that you had to pass through 750ft at the activation speed for a Cypres to fire. Is this not true? Can you have a Cypres fire at 300 feet if you reach activation speeds at that point even though at 750ft you were much slower than that? This incident is leading me to believe this is in fact what happened.

You don't have to be going fast at 750 for it to fire. Any altitude lower than that, but above about 180 ft (I think that is right) - where the Cypres diables itself.

flysister  (D 26164)

Sep 17, 2005, 6:34 PM
Post #18 of 232 (12134 views)
Shortcut

Should I assume that setting my dytter off on landing includes me in the risk area of setting off my cypress...... what are the speed differences in setting off my dytter on landing and setting off my cypress????

ccowden

Sep 17, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #19 of 232 (12087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flysister] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

No. I often have my ProTrack go off under canopy, even when I am just flying in brakes. It doesn't take a very high descent rate to set off an audible.

gjhdiver  (D 7731)

Sep 17, 2005, 7:11 PM
Post #20 of 232 (12074 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

With deep regret and sorrow we announce the death of Adrian Nicolas this saturday 17 september 2005 at around 3:30 pm.

Adrian was a fine man, and possibly one of the greatest skydivers of our time. It was my honor and pleasure to work alonglside him at several large formation camps in Stockholm, and many Hercules boogies. He never ceased to amaze me with the sheer brilliance of his flying. My heart goes out to him, Katerina, his child, and all the Swedish commuity that were lucky enough to have him as a friend.

If it proves that his Cypres was the deciding factor that caused this, mine are coming out of all my rigs. I personally have had one misfire that couldn't be explained. Think of it as my gesture to Adrian.

For those of you that knew him, raise a glass of red wine in his honor tonight. If you didn't know him, do it anyway, because he advanced your sport in ways that you don't know, and you owe him much respect. Don't be raising any crap to him either, he was a man that knew his wine.

Goodbye and blue skies Adrian. Don't worry about Katrina and your kids. The Swedes will take care of them. You called Sweden home, they called you family. Rest easy.....

schwede  (D 6463)

Sep 17, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #21 of 232 (12085 views)
Shortcut

Adrian o Adrian - my heart go out for Katarina and your daughter. We had so much fun together - I'll be missing you - as I'm missing words now.........

Schwede

(This post was edited by schwede on Sep 17, 2005, 7:34 PM)

RhondaLea  (A 29204)

Sep 17, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #22 of 232 (12079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gjhdiver] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

The condolence thread is here:

http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Edited to add: I doubt Katarina reads dropzone.com, but I know Adrian's best friend does. I'm sure he will make the effort to see that she receives the condolence posts, and it would be easier for him if they were all in one place.

(This post was edited by RhondaLea on Sep 17, 2005, 8:51 PM)

f1freak  (C License)

Sep 17, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #23 of 232 (12030 views)
Shortcut

Is anyone out there that actually whitnessed the incident?

Was this a new canopy to Adrian? how many jumps did he have on this canopy? was the swoop started lower than normal?????????????

WTF happened? a cypress just dosent fire unless you hit a certain speed under a certain altitude... (ok, and not being turned on in the plane or at a higher alti than the DZ) that being said, what changed for Adrian on this jump?

I was just watching "Adrenaline Rush: the sicence of risk" today..... He (Adrian) talks alot about Patrick de Gayardon and being with him on that day.....

you know how some say seatbelts kill? well this is that sort of incident.....
I can almost read the parachutist article...
"NOT having an AAD may have changed the outcome of this incdent....Crazy"

Damnit....
Blue ones Adrian, I'm lucky to have met you.....

(This post was edited by f1freak on Sep 17, 2005, 8:15 PM)

immanence  (C 10492)

Sep 17, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #24 of 232 (12011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gjhdiver] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't an extra, second single button user interface be added to Cypres 2's, perhaps routed to and sown into the right hand ring cover of any given rig, under a small transparent window similar to what some rigs have now for the current user interface to allow swoop pilots to manually, with a couple of controlled clicks, switch off their Cypres's when under a good canopy?

Just an idea.

I'm stunned. What awful news Frown

[edit: I guess you wouldn't even need two interfaces, necessarily. You could just route the present one to the right ring cover]

(This post was edited by immanence on Sep 17, 2005, 8:26 PM)

Deuce  (D 25597)

Sep 17, 2005, 8:19 PM
Post #25 of 232 (11965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schwede] Fatality: Texel, The Netherlands; Adrian Nicolas [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Adrian o Adrian - my heart go out for Katarina and your daughter. We had so much fun together - I'll be missing you - as I'm missing words now.........

Schwede

Yeah, I'm sorry Billvon, but this guy deserves his props, and here, I think.

Adrian was the MC of the video and news every day at Herc Boogie. He was like John Cleese, but even cooler.

I did several jumps with him where I was a "regular" belly camera flier and he was barefoot head down carving around my formations getting the most outrageous footage out of the behemoth Hercules. After he would collect this astounding footage he was completely British understatement. "Just a flesh wound" and the like.

He is not replaceable. He was able to address a multi-cultural, multi-lingual crowd, definitively, and make them all smile and laugh and see his video vision of them, and not even speak everybody's language.

That a guy at this level could go in will make us all give pause.

Is this condolences? Yes and no. This man was the epitome of experience. I talked with him and I was simply in awe. He was nice. He was very, very funny. He was a consumate skydiver, and video and camera flier, from my brief intense exposure to him.

Beware, all. Skydiving can bite.

I thank God he's in Sweden, where people take care of one-another as only the Swedes do, in my experience.

The facts will present themselves. Until then, beware. The best and brightest can get bit.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)