Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Open corners ......problems..?

Zoter

Aug 14, 2005, 8:14 AM
Post #1 of 9 (799 views)
Shortcut
Open corners ......problems..? Can't Post

(guess who's buying a new rig.....2 posts in a week in gear and rigging...lol)

I am getting a new 'Wings'......as I will be trying some birdman in the near future....I was thinking of getting dynamic (open) corners on it...

Couple of questions.....
1) Are there any 'problems' with open corners when not specifically needed??......I mostly freefly but will be bird'manning' soon...

2) If you DONT get the mod....is it a big job ( ie local rigger or back to the factory) to modify the rig....I hear its a pretty simple job....but would like 'e'pinions from those who know/have done it...

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Aug 14, 2005, 9:05 AM
Post #2 of 9 (766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoter] Open corners ......problems..? [In reply to] Can't Post

Re ? #1: I don't know of any specific problems... but find it strange that "back in the day" the corners of most pack trays were not "over sewn" like they are on rigs today... now comes bird-suits and "open corners" like its a new thing... well, its not, really. Wink

Re ? #2: If you do not get the mod... I'd think it would be at least a master rigger's chore or back to the the factory. You may want to ask before ordering your rig if the mod can be done post-production. I'd think it could, but it may be pricey. It would be good to know how much and how long before you order the rig.

pbla4024  (C 2033)

Aug 14, 2005, 9:50 AM
Post #3 of 9 (749 views)
Shortcut

I would say packing is slightly more difficult. But it's worth of it, I definitely recommend open corners.

gus

Aug 14, 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #4 of 9 (730 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
1) Are there any 'problems' with open corners when not specifically needed??......I mostly freefly but will be bird'manning' soon...

Here's what I was told by an experienced rigger: If you're pin comes out the pack tray will normally be 'holding' the dbag/canopy tightly enough that it won't come out. But with open corners the same cannot be said and you'll have an instant horseshoe.

Quote:
2) If you DONT get the mod....is it a big job ( ie local rigger or back to the factory) to modify the rig....I hear its a pretty simple job....but would like 'e'pinions from those who know/have done it...

Sunrise forgot to do the mod on my Wings but it took my rigger all of 2 minutes. It's a trivial job.

Gus

Premier Tonto  (D 515)
Aug 14, 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #5 of 9 (710 views)
Shortcut

My GF and I have 5 rigs, 4 of which have corner mods. She does a lot of freeflying and Birdman, I do a lot of AFF and Birdman.

We have no problems.

t

JohnRich  (D License)

Aug 15, 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #6 of 9 (525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonto] Open corners ......problems..? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
My GF and I have 5 rigs, 4 of which have corner mods. She does a lot of freeflying and Birdman, I do a lot of AFF and Birdman.

Help me out in understanding this thread. Are open pack corners preferable for wing suit jumping? If so, why? Is the burble so big that the pilot chute may not extract the bag from a container with closed corners?

skymedic  (C 33561)

Aug 15, 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #7 of 9 (522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Open corners ......problems..? [In reply to] Can't Post

simple search of these forums will yield lots of answers instead of us dredging up info that has been talked about ad nauseum...

http://www.dropzone.com/...%20container;#897108

http://www.dropzone.com/...corner%20mod;#176293

http://www.dropzone.com/...corner%20mod;#683600

Premier Tonto  (D 515)
Aug 15, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #8 of 9 (463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Open corners ......problems..? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are burble issues, but these can be overcome by good body position and a slightly longer bridle.

The open corners allow the bag to be extracted out of the back (bottom) of the container. Packing is preferably pin to grommet.

t

JohnRich  (D License)

Aug 16, 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #9 of 9 (404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonto] Open corners ......problems..? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The open corners allow the bag to be extracted out of the back (bottom) of the container.

I see: because of the forward speed of a wing suit, the bag isn't extracted straight up, perpendicular, as with most disciplines.

Thank you Tonto.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)