Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
Aerobats - 3rd ID SPC, early '70's

Zootographer  (D 10868)

Aug 1, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Aerobats - 3rd ID SPC, early '70's Can't Post

Aerobats - Third Inf Div Sport Parachute Club, early 70's. Anyone remember? Names coming to mind are 1LT Bob ("Bing Bing") Iverson (fearless leader), Steve Maikowski, CPT Glen Puffer (our first paraplane pilot), ASO Bruce McDaniels, 2LT Mike Burt, SP5 Ken Larcher, 1LT John True (parasled pilot), SFC Lester Pelfrey, Dale Lyons, Nicki Mainero, Bob Linke. Civilian Tom Shafer. Jumped 421st Medevac Hueys at Conn Barracks (Schweinfurt) and with the Germans at Hassfurt out of a Dornier. Anybody out there?

davidlayne  (D 3102)

Aug 2, 2005, 2:02 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zootographer] Aerobats - 3rd ID SPC, early '70's [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Bob Iverson! Crazy guy got kicked out of the Army as I recall.

Zootographer  (D 10868)

Aug 2, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidlayne] Aerobats - 3rd ID SPC, early '70's [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't be surprised. He had been busted and was doing penance for smuggling some good Lebanese black in from Amsterdam when I met him (or so the story goes). Still a good leader. I liked the dude. One of the better jumpers in our group. Heard he went to Casa Grande afterwards.....

davidlayne  (D 3102)

Aug 3, 2005, 1:47 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1487 views)
Shortcut

Yes that's the story I heard about Bob. Perhaps you know Craig Huck also?

winsor  (D 13715)

Aug 3, 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1463 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Wouldn't be surprised. He had been busted and was doing penance for smuggling some good Lebanese black in from Amsterdam when I met him (or so the story goes). Still a good leader. I liked the dude. One of the better jumpers in our group. Heard he went to Casa Grande afterwards.....

Lebanese would be blonde.

Black plate from Pakistan or Afghanistan. Temple balls or fingers from Nepal.

Red from India or Arabia.

Green (Kief) from Morocco.

At least that's the way the High Times Market Report would have it.

Blue skies red eyes,

Winsor

Zootographer  (D 10868)

Aug 3, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [winsor] Aerobats - 3rd ID SPC, early '70's [In reply to] Can't Post

Winsor, you could very well be right. It was 30 years ago and we didn't exactly stand around and admire the appearance of the stuff....Cool

Juicer  (C License)

Dec 12, 2007, 9:15 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Yep, Iverson was at Casa Grande in 1974-1975. He left to go to the Maharishi University in Iowa to become a Transcendental Meditation guru or something. He was a great instructor, and lots of fun to be around. I stayed in touch with him for awhile, but lost touch after about '77. Would be great to find him again, but I wonder if he's even going by that name anymore. Smile

Jimmy Juicer

GPuff

Apr 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #8 of 9 (799 views)
Shortcut

And I would be CPT Puffer, and Steve Maikoski and Ivan Beach (also an Aerobat) just got together online after 40 years. Bob Iverson was one of my favorite people on Earth. Don't think that he and the 70's Army made a good fit, but I would've buddied with him in a tight spot any day!

StevenSki  (C 7215)

Apr 10, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #9 of 9 (775 views)
Shortcut

Steve here. Bob Iverson kind of disappeared. Bruce McDaniels succumbed to cancer shortly after 9/11/11. Ivan Beach and GlenPuff are now keyed in on this forum.

I jumped for a couple of years at the Death Zone in Casa Grande before hanging up the ParaPlane. I may make a jump this summer to join the over-60's.

Hope this gets to others.

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)