Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Which Mirage?

ZZ-TNT

Jul 24, 2005, 7:09 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Which Mirage? Can't Post

Mirage G3 or G4 - Which is better and why?

Premier GravityGirl  (D 18897)

Jul 24, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZZ-TNT] Which Mirage? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are both great rigs.

I jump a G4 and my husband a G3. We both think ours is the best!

Go to the Mirage web site and check out the features of each. Then ask yourself if they are features you want.

If you have any specific questions about those features, feel free to PM me here, or contact your local gear dealer.

Premier Tonto  (D 515)
Jul 25, 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #3 of 6 (943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZZ-TNT] Which Mirage? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have both.

I got the G4 first, and when I was building a Birdman rig I went for the G3.

I use the G4 for AFF and fun dives, (FS, Tracking dives, Freefly) and the G3 for Birdman, but also as a back to back AFF rig when things are very busy.

I'm super pleased with both of them, but would recomend the G4 if you were going to get only one.

t

Joellercoaster  (D 105792)

Jul 25, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #4 of 6 (926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonto] Which Mirage? [In reply to] Can't Post

So... out of curiosity, how did you end up with that division of labour between the G4 and G3?

I'm curious about the whole decision-making process (more information is better, even about rigs I'm not in a position to buy), but in particular what makes a G3 more suitable for your birdman rig.

Premier Tonto  (D 515)
Jul 25, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #5 of 6 (919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Joellercoaster] Which Mirage? [In reply to] Can't Post

The G4 is certainly a more comfortable (and expensive) rig, and so I do most of my dives on it. The cost difference between my G4 and G3 for me was nearly $500, and for me, worth saving on a second rig while retaining all the Mirage features I like.

I also found that hooking up my suit to the G4 with it's elasticated waist support made the process more complicated and time consuming. This elasticated support also experiences significant wear as a result of the velcro on the suit from the BASE Pilot chute pouch dispite using mating velcro for the section not in use.
Since this is not standard on the G3 it seemed a more practical choice.

My G4 has done nearly 100 Birdman dives though, and apart from the suit hookup workload served well in that roll. I cetrtainly don't think that either one is better than the other in flight.

t

(This post was edited by Tonto on Jul 25, 2005, 4:53 AM)

wardhessig  (D 23749)

Jul 25, 2005, 9:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 (861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonto] Which Mirage? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure you are aware of it Tonto but for the other posters on here, the elastic lumbar support is easily removable on the g4 if the jumper chooses to do so. And let me know if your elastic is getting worn as i will replace it for you. I have put over 600 jumps on mine and its still in perfect shape but I would love to get some feedback because as of yet, no one has given any on the elastic, other than good. And we have yet to replace any so I was just wondering.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)