Forums: Community: Skydivers with Disabilities:
Social Security for Loss of Eye

Casch

Jul 16, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Social Security for Loss of Eye Can't Post

Can you be compensated for the loss of an eye through Social Security? People are telling me to look into it after my car accident last month where I destroyed my right eye and had it removed entirely. Is it even worth looking into?

mx757  (C License)

Jul 17, 2005, 4:55 PM
Post #2 of 7 (998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Casch] Social Security for Loss of Eye [In reply to] Can't Post

might give it a try...

Casch

Jul 17, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #3 of 7 (996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mx757] Social Security for Loss of Eye [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any idea where to start though, this being the first major body part that I've lost Shocked

mx757  (C License)

Jul 17, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #4 of 7 (995 views)
Shortcut

just call Social security or visit their web site.
applie for disability benifits at worse they'll say no..

ltdiver  (D 20506)

Jul 17, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #5 of 7 (989 views)
Shortcut

Having gone through the loss of one eye myself, it does -not- make you disabled enough to qualify for Social Security. Disability benefit of a finite amount....maybe (worker's comp?), but nothing on-going. See here: http://www.edd.ca.gov/fleclaimdi.htm. I used it to go back to school for a new degree that was not in the high risk catagory that I had trained in previously. That is the only reason I got help. And that was to become self-suffient again, not rely on an income from someone else.

ltdiver

councilman24  (D 8631)

Jul 18, 2005, 8:06 AM
Post #6 of 7 (976 views)
Shortcut

If you have Accidental Death or Dismemberment insurance file a claim. Mine pays 50% for loss of one eye.

peregrinerose  (D 28983)

Jul 19, 2005, 8:32 AM
Post #7 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

I'm an optometrist, most of my patients are visually impaired/legally blind. You won't get anything from social security for a lost eye since it doesn't impair your ability to work at almost any job. Commercial pilot might be about the only thing you'd be limited on.

It will take you a while to adapt, your brain is used to gathering info from two eyes, particularly with depth perception. But there are 10 cues to perceiving depth, only 2 of them require stereopsis (2 eyes working together).

You are lucky to have only lost an eye and not anything more serious!Crazy

Jen

Forums : Community : Skydivers with Disabilities

Search for (options)