Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Another pack volume question

Floater  (A 37766)

May 22, 2001, 3:56 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Another pack volume question Can't Post

Ok, I'm trying to put together my first rig. I've found someone at the DZ with a javelin j2 for sale. The only problem is, I'm looking to start with a Hornet 170 main. The Sunpath website shows that a j2 will hold a safire 149 that has a pack volume of 408cu/in. The hornet has a pack volume of 375. Actually, every specific canopy that they list has a larger volume that the hornet. Does anyone think I'll have a problem if try to match them up?

Lee

Grogs  (D 24265)

May 22, 2001, 5:49 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Re: Another pack volume question [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't trust any of the canopy manufacturers' questions about canopy pack volume because they all have different ways of measuring it. Most likely, you'll need a J-3 to hold a ZP 170 canopy like the Hornet (it's rated for 150 max ZP size), but talk to your local rigger or call Sunpath or your nearest Javelin retailer and put the question to them just to make sure.

Kirils  (D License)

May 22, 2001, 8:00 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1809 views)
Shortcut

PISA fabric packs smaller, I put a 170 Heatwave (psycho packed) in a Reflex sized for a 150 Saber.

Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Floater  (A 37766)

May 23, 2001, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1750 views)
Shortcut

Thanx for the info. I'm going to email Sunpath just to get the final answer.

Aviatrr  (D 27349)

May 26, 2001, 8:37 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1706 views)
Shortcut

I have a Rigging Innovations Talon 2, sized for a 150/143R combo.. I currently have a Hornet 190 in it.. It's a tight fit, but it works fine.. I have put a Hornet 170 in a J2, and it's a good fit.. My Talon will fit up to a Safire 169 - but it's a VERY tight fit.. The 169 packs a little too big for my rig, in my opinion.. A 149 Safire or Crossfire fits great..

Mike

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

May 27, 2001, 4:08 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1691 views)
Shortcut

The only true way to determine whether your new canopy will fit is to pack that type and size in the same type and size container. The harness/container and canopy manufacturers cooperate well doing this, and with the exception of newer models, they have already done it. The advice to call the manufacturer is correct. The folks at SunPath are very helpful. You will find that conversation a pleasant one.

Personally? I think it will fit, but it's gonna be a little tight. No worries!

Respectfully,
SP

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)