Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
What is a Swoop?

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jul 4, 2002, 6:39 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1229 views)
Shortcut
What is a Swoop? Can't Post

After looking around at old posts and talking to jumpers at my DZ this summer I've heard a lot of people talk about how long their swoop is. One person says they consider when they are at 15 feet to be the entrance of their swoop, and another person thinks its when you are low enough that you could put your feet down is where you start the measurement...

What is everyone elses defination or determinate of length of a swoop? I like the 5 foot rule myself but since lots of people brag about their swoops... I thought I'd see what they are using to determine the length in terms and physically...

Kris  (D 26033)

Jul 4, 2002, 6:52 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] What is a Swoop? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good subjective question.Smile

I've always counted it from the point that I planed the canopy out above the ground.

Kris

jdhill  (D License)

Jul 5, 2002, 6:26 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1175 views)
Shortcut

I aslo agree with the 5' rule when measuring swoop distance... it is the height used in competition and it is fairly easy to estimate just about anywhere.

Josh

hookit  (D 24838)

Jul 5, 2002, 6:52 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
What is everyone elses defination or determinate of length of a swoop?

It all depends on how long of a surf I want to claim! If I want to claim that I swooped the entire length of the beer line then I usually have to start calling it a swoop at about 30 to 40 feet off the ground! Tongue

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jul 5, 2002, 10:41 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookit] What is a Swoop? [In reply to] Can't Post

The maximum entry height of a swoop should be defined by the height of the tallest air blade on your DZ. Your foot must pass below the top of the air blade before you can start counting.

freeflyguy  (D 24207)

Jul 5, 2002, 2:31 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1105 views)
Shortcut

It qualifies as a swoop when your brain says,

"Oh yah baby,......I feel good!"

Hard to explain, but when you are plained out with one toe a quarter inch into the water, life is good...

(This post was edited by freeflyguy on Jul 5, 2002, 2:37 PM)

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Jul 7, 2002, 8:38 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freeflyguy] What is a Swoop? [In reply to] Can't Post

With no blades to aim for, I count as swoop distance the time from when you come around the corner and into ground effect up until you either step down or stop sliding. When swooping blades for distance, the entry height is five feet.

Chuck

arlo  (D License)

Jul 24, 2002, 9:16 PM
Post #8 of 8 (870 views)
Shortcut

per the para-performance rules a couple months back at Perris Valley, the entry gate was 5 feet...and Shannon Pilcher set the record with 418 feet.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)