Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
2 Inches...

Kris  (D 26033)

Jun 21, 2002, 8:43 PM
Post #1 of 5 (746 views)
Shortcut
2 Inches... Can't Post

When I ordered my Mirage G3 last August I told Bill I wanted 18" risers (I have short arms). Since then, it has been a trade off between having enough slack to front-riser my Stiletto or being able to hit the sweet spot in the flare.

I broke down and ordered 20" risers from Bill last week. They showed up along with my new PC yesterday. That measely two inches really made a difference! I put a few jumps on my rig today at Skydive Dallas. It was a typical Texas day: Hot and no wind. I had absolutely no problems shutting the canopy down to a nice one-step landing.

I didn't have any problems collapsing or stowing my slider either.

Just a heads up for something else others may want to look out for when making a gear decision.

Kris

crazy  (D 23767)

Jun 21, 2002, 9:03 PM
Post #2 of 5 (731 views)
Shortcut
Re: 2 Inches... [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you mean by "slack to front-riser [your] stiletto" and by "hit the sweet spot in the flare"? What difference does the length of the risers make? Is it that with the shorter risers when you pull the toggles all the way down, you can't reach the stalling point?

come

Kris  (D 26033)

Jun 21, 2002, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 5 (720 views)
Shortcut

Well, I could either tighten up the brake lines so that I can get to the stall point but if I try to front-riser the canopy bucks because I am pulling the tail down. If I loosen up the brake lines so that the canopy doesn't buck I can't get quite deep enough into the control range to efficiently shut the canopy down at the end of the flare on faster landings.

The longer risers put the the toggles (and canopy) two inches higher over my head giving me just a little bit more of a control stroke to work with.

Kris

polarbear  (D 25673)

Jun 24, 2002, 9:52 AM
Post #4 of 5 (659 views)
Shortcut

I also have the short 18" risers from mirage and have a similar problem with my Samurai. When I get cash I'm going to order some 20" risers.

Unisyn  (D 20515)

Jun 25, 2002, 7:34 AM
Post #5 of 5 (574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kris] 2 Inches... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kris,

Women have been complaining about a "messily 2" for yearsWink

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)