Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
A License Training

megscott73  (A License)

Jun 19, 2002, 12:40 PM
Post #1 of 9 (923 views)
Shortcut
A License Training Can't Post

Hi!
I need some info about average prices for getting an A license. I did my first tandem jump about two months ago. I have been looking into getting the license, but all of the DZ's are giving me totally different info. Sometimes I get different info from two or more people at the SAME DZ. I have a lot going on this summer financially, so I want to make sure I can afford it before I start the training. I have an appointment this weekend for CFT training & I'm not sure if I might have to wait until next summer. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Jun 19, 2002, 12:43 PM
Post #2 of 9 (914 views)
Shortcut
Re: A License Training [In reply to] Can't Post

What exactly are you calling "CFT" training?

Are you a Monkey or a Flunky? HERE

megscott73  (A License)

Jun 19, 2002, 12:47 PM
Post #3 of 9 (910 views)
Shortcut

Canopy Flight Training...is what they called it. And then there are like 7 levels of Accelerated Freefall training. I thinks there are 2 ground training classes, 2 tandem jumps, and then 7? supervised jumps. Like I said, though, I am having trouble getting info over the phone--they want me to sign up & then fing out the details.

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Jun 19, 2002, 1:12 PM
Post #4 of 9 (902 views)
Shortcut

Well, there is no simple answer to your question, and that is for a number of reasons. First, every dropzone charges different prices for the basic first jump course and the cost of individual training jumps. Second, even though it is highly recommended (at least in the USPA here in the USA), dropzones are not yet required to follow the new Integrated Student Program, better known as the "ISP."

If a dropzone follows the new ISP, then a student is definitely going to pay more to get that A-license. Every phase of the training is more detailed than under the "old" systems, and a jumper is required to jump with either an Instructor or Coach rated individual for the great majority of those 20 skydives neccessary to obtain the license. That being the case, Static- Line based courses and AFF-based courses end up taking nearly the exact same amount of time to complete and end up costing almost the same, at least if you were to pay for the training through the same vendor. The days of "seven jump AFF wonders" and $400 complete SL courses are over; at least on ISP-based dropzones like Raeford. Skydiving is an expensive sport, period.

Chuck

Are you a Monkey or a Flunky? HERE

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jun 19, 2002, 1:23 PM
Post #5 of 9 (895 views)
Shortcut

Lke Chuckie said, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question. A lot depends on how fast you learn, where you're jumping, when you buy your own equipment, if you have to repeat any AFF levels, if you get video on any/all of your jumps...

I'd guesstimate up to $2500 for the required jumps and $3000-$6000 for your own equipment (rig, jumpsuit, helmet, altimeters, etc...).

pull & flare,
lisa

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

airdrew20012001  (D 24834)

Jun 19, 2002, 1:26 PM
Post #6 of 9 (893 views)
Shortcut

Do this:

a) get your hands on an A license proficiency card
2) look at it
c) get the price list for your drop zone
iv) find someone who is good in math, have them do some that crazy ass math bidness fer ya
E) total it up

At our DZ, it'd (ballpark, AFF track as apposed to tandem or static line) be around $1200 to $1400 but that depends on if you are able to pass every level or if you have to repeat one or not.

Drewfus McDoofus

PhillyKev

Jun 19, 2002, 2:06 PM
Post #7 of 9 (870 views)
Shortcut

Hey Meghan. I went throught the training at CrossKeys last year. I'm assuming you're going there? If not, you should consider it. Their website is www.freefalladventures.com.

Basically their AFP program consists of the following:
3 Tandem jumps
Ground School
7 AFP jumps

The total for that if paying cash is $1894. Not including any video. That includes your training, equipment rental, and the jumps. You'll also need to do a supervised hop-n-pop at about $55. After that Crosskeys also asks you to do 3 RW coached jumps with Skydive U. They're $72 each and don't include video or your equipment. Also I believe it's 2 coached freefly jumps with Monkey Claw....not sure how much they are but probably about the same as Skydive U.

Equipment rental will run you $63.60 per day from Square3, I think it's slightly cheaper to rent the student gear from the dz, but the gear at Square3 is much better. You could also put down a $1000 deposit on new gear purchase and you get unlimited rentals for $99/month, or put down $3000 and get unlimited rentals for $49.50/month, or put down $4000 and get free rentals for 6 months.

cielos azules y cerveza fra

-Kevin

megscott73  (A License)

Jun 19, 2002, 11:24 PM
Post #8 of 9 (799 views)
Shortcut

I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to help me out. I think I may need to wait until next summer so I won't be cutting it so tight with money, but hey, time flies right!

drenaline  (C License)

Jun 20, 2002, 1:03 AM
Post #9 of 9 (788 views)
Shortcut

Hi, been a poor guy with no money I can give you some answers: emails, phone calls and notepad (to write it down). Cheapest thing you find will be your answer.

"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)