Forums: Dropzone.com: Suggestions and Feedback:
the Incidents Forum

1010  (B 28561)

May 1, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #1 of 3 (910 views)
Shortcut
the Incidents Forum Quote | Reply

The Incidents forum has gotten to be populated with so many off-topic posts, especially when contrasted with the seriousness of any thread there, that I now rarely read much of it. Being a newbie, reading through the incidents forum was my first use of this web site a year ago.

My suggestions, I have no idea if implementable or not:
1. That all Incident posts be approved by a greenie before hitting the thread, hoping just a quick click "yes" or "no" by a greenie to approve or deny candidate post.

2. Create a Bonfire or General Skydiving thread for each incident so A) people can post their well-wishes, B) people with other-than-first-hand knowledge of the incident have a place to post, and C) newbies like me could post newbie questions about an incident without cluttering up such an important thread.

My $.02
Thanks for a great site HH.

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)
May 2, 2005, 3:19 AM
Post #2 of 3 (894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1010] the Incidents Forum [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Quote:
2. Create a Bonfire or General Skydiving thread for each incident so A) people can post their well-wishes, B) people with other-than-first-hand knowledge of the incident have a place to post, and C) newbies like me could post newbie questions about an incident without cluttering up such an important thread.

The "condolence" threads you suggest happen already for most incidents, shortly after they are posted in the Incidents Forum. The problem is that some people don't respect the Moderators' request to use those threads for condolences and the incident thread for discussion of the incident itself.

People as in "B" above can post in the incidents thread, but should steer clear of speculation. The tendency to "what if" things immediately after the incident doesn't help the situation. Newbies as in "C" above can post to the thread all they like with valid questions. Again, speculation should be avoided. The other alternative is starting a more general thread about the nature of the accident in Safety and Training to get your questions answered. For example, if the incident involved a horseshoe malfunction, you could start a thread in S&T about horseshoe malfunctions in general to get your questions answered.

Multiple threads about the same specific incident should be avoided.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

May 19, 2005, 9:23 AM
Post #3 of 3 (771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1010] the Incidents Forum [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Or perhaps...

http://www.dropzone.com/...port%20form;#1486562

Forums : Dropzone.com : Suggestions and Feedback

Search for (options)