Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
landing in a turn

skyhawk

May 10, 2001, 9:14 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1617 views)
Shortcut
landing in a turn Can't Post

in the last 20 jumps i have landed turning twice.dont get me wrong its not a hook turn or target fixation. I flare then for some reason my right arm is down further than my left ( i think or mayby thats just because im in a turn) and i turn into the ground. Im not an extremmly experiecend canopy pilot 50 jumps but i am very confident in my basic abilitys. i always stand it up (well apart from these two) and am often commented on my landings (positive) .im just wondering because it has happened twice now and both times a right turn

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
Pablo Picasso.

cyberskydive  (C 28534)

May 10, 2001, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Re: landing in a turn [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont do that-LOL

Flare evenly and dont lean one way or the other an see what happens- fly your canopy ALL THE WAY TILL IT DEFLATES-LOL

D.Chisolm C-28534
webmaster@sunraydesigns.com
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

OmriMon  (C 32176)

May 10, 2001, 11:22 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1601 views)
Shortcut

it can be really bad if u do it with an eliptical high performance canopy, first thing they told me when i first jumped with the diablo 190 is that i have to flare evenly with both my hands same hight or there gonna be some trouble

i know it didn't matter with bigger square canopies cuz i did it too a couple of times but with elipticals it's a big NO NO

Free Skies,
Omri Crazy

skyhawk

May 11, 2001, 3:50 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1587 views)
Shortcut

i dont think its that because as i said its not something thats happening everytime and my other landings are really good, i get a surprising amount of flare out of it cause its lightly loaded and its a 150. plus it is after ive flared its when im on my way back down from the flare that it turns :-)

Pammi

May 11, 2001, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Are you perhaps putting one hand out to 'catch yourself'?

"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

cyberskydive  (C 28534)

May 11, 2001, 5:16 AM
Post #6 of 15 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Fly your canopy all the way - it doesnt stop flying just becuase you flared :)

D.Chisolm C-28534

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

May 11, 2001, 6:49 AM
Post #7 of 15 (1565 views)
Shortcut

"Catching yourself" is my guess, not having watched your landings. If you catch yourself slightly crosswind on landing, the wind is going to push you off in that direction. If you flare, even evenly, then you might still be crabbing a bit. In that situation you might be tempted to reach out with the hand that is in the direction of your turn or crab. That is not the desired action; you should do the opposite. If you are crabbing RIGHT on landing, then correct with a slightly LEFT-biased flare to stop the slide to right. Do you follow me?

Chuck

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

May 11, 2001, 7:11 AM
Post #8 of 15 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Oh yeah, another possible cause that I forgot to mention in my first response: It is possible that your control lines on one side are twisted to the point that you are putting tension on that side (in other words, the brake line is shorter due to the twists). Make sure that you trace your control lines all the way down to the toggles and untwist them, starting up at the cascade.

The other thing, which is quite obvious, is that you need to NOT pull down on your right toggle more than your left if your canopy is turning right on landing. If you are straight into the wind, then flare evenly. If you are slightly crosswind and being blown right, then flare with SLIGHTLY more LEFT toggle or just be prepared to do a PLF. The bottom line is this: fly your parachute all the way to the ground. Never just give up and let the wind blow you where it wants.

One of our younger jumpers in the club, Larry Sherling, "let" the wind blow him into our covered packing structure at Raeford. He hit a 6x6 post at about 30 mph, broke 27 bones in 82 places and is damn lucky to be alive, much less walking. What happened is this: he caught himself a bit low to complete his full landing pattern, only making it to just past straight-crosswind. The winds were blowing about 12-14 knots. Once at about 40 feet up, he let up on his left toggle( he was in a nice,safe, flat turn to the left) and the wind turned him to the right and directly into the obstacle. He just gave up flying and let the "will of the wind" fly him into a nearly fatal accident. If he had just maintained a little more pressure on that left toggle he would have landed out in the packing area (but still quite close to the beer line). Now, about nine months later, he is walking OK (amazingly), but cannot move his left elbow with more than about 20 degrees range-of-motion. You can't pull a reserve ripcord like that, so until they figure out what to do next, he obviously can't jump. Sorry for the horror story, but THAT is what can happen when you are just a tad complacent.

Luckilly, the new ISP calls for more stringent training for our students. Hopefully, you all have experienced jumpers around your dropzone who you can turn to (free of charge) who will school you up and answer all of your questions. Remember, "the only dumb question was the one you never asked".

Chuck Blue
D-12501

Merrick  (A 38462)

May 11, 2001, 8:19 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1542 views)
Shortcut

I don't know if you saw these landing Pam, but I did this very same thing a couple months ago. My landings are very good (have stood-up all but 5 of my landings since I started jumping... knock on wood). On these particular jumps I started my flare directly into the wind, bled off my virticle speed, then at about 2 feet above the ground I started crabbing to the right (due to turbulence or whatever), my immediate reaction was to stick that right hand out to "catch myself." The result was a right hand nose dive into the ground. Needless to say I haven't done that since, and have actually learned to compensate in the other direction.

I'm sure what the reason was because this was my first 2 jumps on a brand new jumpsuit. LOL

"Grab the grass, it's the bounce that kills!"
Merrick

skyhawk

May 11, 2001, 8:46 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1478 views)
Shortcut

merrick that sounds exactly like what i did

oh and by the way i do fly the canopy to the end, im a runner (run it out not the athletic one)

so how do i stop crabbing?

cyberskydive  (C 28534)

May 11, 2001, 8:58 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Flying your canopy all the way in means that you are contantly compensating for what comes your way- you crab right? small input more left etc- not to much!

D.Chisolm C-28534

skyhawk

May 11, 2001, 9:43 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1471 views)
Shortcut

yer the thing is i dont get a chance to correct it because its at the very last second

Kris  (D 26033)

May 13, 2001, 10:26 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1434 views)
Shortcut

Tongue
In reply to:
Pammi said, "Are you perhaps putting one hand out to 'catch yourself'?"

I wish you'd given that advice to Freaksis before her jump today.

Hope your knee is alright April. ;>

Pammi

May 14, 2001, 12:32 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1394 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I wish you'd given that advice to Freaksis before her jump today.

Hope your knee is alright April. ;>
LOL! Which one?

We love ya hun! Glad you are okay!

"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

freaksister  (B 25147)

May 14, 2001, 3:40 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1382 views)
Shortcut

I was going to say...I did the same thing twice in a row yesterday! I had never done it before so I was really surprised. I have seen training vids and been told about it, etc. but I think sometimes it catches you by surprise after you are off student and you don't realize what you are doing. Now that I have seen a video of my first jump yesterday (the worst landing of the two, combine what we are describing with a high flare - ouch!) I can see what I did wrong. If you do it again, get someone to video the next landing. I hope I don't do that at the boogie! Yikes. Embarassing! (oh and dangerous, too, LOL)

Oh P.S. I flared at the right time on the second jump but still reached out thanks to crosswind...and it wasn't as bad the first but it was not pretty, either. Just like Cyber said...keep flying it!! Hard at the very last minute, I KNOW! But we'll get it! Smile

Sis

"What we're all really seeking is something where we can feel the rapture of being alive."J.Campbell

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)