Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Slowing down openings on other chutes...

Zoter

Mar 18, 2005, 7:35 AM
Post #1 of 7 (716 views)
Shortcut
Slowing down openings on other chutes... Can't Post

So its gonna be the first gorgeously sunny weekend in the UK this year.....
I packed last night and left work early today....n found out my car battery is flat Frown...so I have to wait a couple of hours before I go anywhere......

Just was watching some vids to pass the time and started thinking about a slow deployment sequence I was watching.....
Now we all know we need sliders on ram air chutes at terminal speeds
How did they slow down the openings on all of those 'old' chutes....rounds
ParaCommander...Thunderbow etc........

Did they need it?...if not why...

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Mar 18, 2005, 8:15 AM
Post #2 of 7 (697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoter] Slowing down openings on other chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

We did not worry about slowing down openings on round canopies.
We were just glad when they opened!

It was not until the 1990s that anyone figured out how to install a sail slider on a round canopy. Too bad they had fallen out of fashion with skydivers by then.
Yes, I know that Starlites (Para-Commander clones) had spider sliders, but they were never very popular.
Only REAL MEN jumped back in those days. ... because only REAL MEN could tolerate the hard openings and hard landings.
We would do 2 or 3 jumps, then retire to the bar to drink until we forgot about our sore necks and sore knees, etc.
... and the toughest of us jumped Delta IIs. That OSI slowed down openings maybe 1/100 th of a second, so that openings only felt like being tackled by half of a football team!
When ropes-and-rings were introduced, sore necks - caused by hard openings - became a thing of the past, however, our hands got sore from packing that 64 foot long rope.

wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 18, 2005, 8:58 AM
Post #3 of 7 (666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Slowing down openings on other chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, sleeves were the deployment device that slowed down round openings mostly. a terminal opening on a non-diapered round reserve is pretty impressive.

Wendy W.
(obviously a REAL MAN Tongue, since I not only tolerated the hard openings and landings, but I also had a Starlite with no slider Laugh)

(This post was edited by wmw999 on Mar 18, 2005, 8:59 AM)

Dazzle  (D 100794)

Mar 18, 2005, 8:58 AM
Post #4 of 7 (665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Slowing down openings on other chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember hard openings from the rounds I jumped as a student, mostly Aeroconicals but don't remember anything specific to slow openings on those.

How come they opened acceptably slowly?

ryoder  (D 6663)

Mar 19, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #5 of 7 (528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoter] Slowing down openings on other chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

A round canopy inherently slows it's own opening. If you look at high-speed photography of a round opening, you will see the skirt of the canopy stays nearly closed while the top of the canopy fills with air. Only when the canopy has nearly filled, does it finally force the skirt apart.

For a full explanation, read The Parachute Manual, Volume 1, Section 8.1.11, page 463.

flipper  (D 11524)

Mar 21, 2005, 1:41 AM
Post #6 of 7 (435 views)
Shortcut

I managed to jump a Delta II a few years back ... talk about a reality check ... take my hat off to the people who jumped these things ....

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Mar 22, 2005, 8:16 AM
Post #7 of 7 (367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzle] Slowing down openings on other chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't remember hard openings from the rounds I jumped as a student, mostly Aeroconicals but don't remember anything specific to slow openings on those.

How come they opened acceptably slowly?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

... because Aeroconicals are way more refined than the crude flat circular or parabolic canopies formerly sold by American Army surplus stores.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)