Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
what type of gear do I need

skydivemike  (A License)

May 7, 2001, 8:16 AM
Post #1 of 3 (706 views)
Shortcut
what type of gear do I need Can't Post

I am looking to buy a complete rig this year. I have my "A" licence and 35 jumps, I am 6 feet tall and weigh 210lbs. I am unsure of what type of main canopy I should be looking for and what type of container. Could someone give me some suggestions on what to look for.

<FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by skydivemike on 5/7/01 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT>

Dutchboy  (A 37004)

May 7, 2001, 8:22 AM
Post #2 of 3 (698 views)
Shortcut
Re: what type a gear do I need [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you'll get allot of different opinions on this question.

I bought an 'affordable rig' from Roy at Rigs-n-things http://www.para-service.com, as did several others online here. I got a Dolphin, with a Hornet main, Tempo reserve, and CYPRES for about $3200 custom made in 4 weeks.

85 jumps later I'm still happy with this setup. Look at the reviews of the main to see others' opinions.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

May 7, 2001, 11:38 AM
Post #3 of 3 (679 views)
Shortcut
Re: what type a gear do I need [In reply to] Can't Post

Start by deciding what type of jumping you will be doing: accuracy, stacking/CreW or turf-surfing.
Secondly, decide what size of main you can comfortably next week, not next year, but next week.
Thirdly, choose a reserve that you will load at about 1 pound per square foot, when you are fully dressed for a skydive.
Finally, ask your local rigger or dealer what size of rig will comfortably contain those canopies.
Then you can argue over which brand is most fashionable.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)