Forums: Skydiving: Events & Places to Jump:
What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

airdweller  (D 31348)

Jan 7, 2005, 9:06 AM
Post #1 of 40 (2474 views)
Shortcut
What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? Can't Post

I feel that I visited one of them over the holidays when I went to Paris CA.

Just wondering

mr2mk1g  (C 103449)

Jan 7, 2005, 9:11 AM
Post #2 of 40 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdweller] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

pssst.... you mean "perris". Wink

AggieDave  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 9:16 AM
Post #3 of 40 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdweller] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mecca would imply some sort of major historical significance, not just being a large DZ with a lot of stuff and people.

In that case, Arvin comes to mind as well as 'Snore and SD Orange. DZs with significate histories with the development of the sport in the 1960s and 70s.

sunshine  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 9:39 AM
Post #4 of 40 (2411 views)
Shortcut

WFFC

Fast  (D 28237)

Jan 7, 2005, 9:40 AM
Post #5 of 40 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sunshine] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
WFFC

Once a year "everyone" makes a pilgrimage

markd_nscr986  (C 11969)

Jan 7, 2005, 9:59 AM
Post #6 of 40 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Z-hills on the east coast,Elsinore and Perris on the west Spaceland in the south and way back when.....Casa GrandeWink

Vallerina  (C License)

Jan 7, 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #7 of 40 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Empuria Brava. Best dz I've ever been to.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Jan 7, 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #8 of 40 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

Muskogee, Oklahoma in the 80's.

Zenister  (A 42)

Jan 7, 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #9 of 40 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Eloy. the only thing Perris has on it is more to do at night (location)... but when it comes to pure skydiving it is Eloy..

kelpdiver  (B 7)

Jan 7, 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #10 of 40 (2310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zenister] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Eloy. the only thing Perris has on it is more to do at night (location)... but when it comes to pure skydiving it is Eloy..

For a bit longer, Perris has the tunnel on it, too.

I wish Eloy were north of Phoenix rather than south - I could combine an overdue trip to see relatives in Prescott with time there.

jumper03  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #11 of 40 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelpdiver] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I wish Eloy were north of Phoenix rather than south - I could combine an overdue trip to see relatives in Prescott with time there.

Then you wouldn't have as many outs as you do now.
Wink

Little more hilly north of the Metro area.

jumperconway  (D 24335)

Jan 7, 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #12 of 40 (2295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markd_nscr986] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

Spaceland in the south ....Ditto!Smile The mini Skydive Chicago!

(This post was edited by jumperconway on Jan 7, 2005, 11:15 AM)

Spatula  (A 48026)

Jan 7, 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #13 of 40 (2257 views)
Shortcut

If the discussion is truly "meccas"....wouldn't West Point be considered one?

http://skydivethepoint.com/History.htm

CanuckInUSA  (D 26396)

Jan 7, 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #14 of 40 (2244 views)
Shortcut

It may not be a mecca yet, but I'm hoping that Skydive Moab becomes a mecca destination DZ in the not too distant future. Sly

JumpRu  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #15 of 40 (2217 views)
Shortcut

DeLand FL

happythoughts  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #16 of 40 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JumpRu] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
DeLand FL

I would define "mecca" as a destination of travelers from other places.

Deland - It is well recognized as an international destination for 4-way training.

Z-hills - International RW big-way destination and winter home for tons of foreign visitors.

WFFC - Skydivers travel from 30 countries to visit it every year.

Deuce  (D 25597)

Jan 7, 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #17 of 40 (2188 views)
Shortcut

I like the larger and multiple landing areas of Eloy over Perris, but the air tunnel gives it the edge. When Eloy gets the tunnel it will be very hard to beat it.

However, if that tunnel ever runs at noon in August you'll be able to bake cookies in there.

Z-Hills was pretty epic, too.

Really hard to beat all that airlift capacity at SDA.

Ron

Jan 7, 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #18 of 40 (2188 views)
Shortcut

DeLand known the World over as a training place for many years.

Z-Hills known as a boogie capital for 25 years

Zenister  (A 42)

Jan 7, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #19 of 40 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelpdiver] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

and the weather would be FAAAR worse... Eloy's location is damn near perfect.. lots of weather that hammers Phoenix (and that isnt much we get missed alot too) misses Eloy completely... the low clouds (under 1k) last weekend in PHX were a great example.. i know people who missed a great weekend of jumping simply because the weather was terrible in town...

and the tunnel will be online soon... so... WinkCool

another example... go anywhere in the world where skydivers gather and say the word "Eloy"... now find someone who doesnt jump (but knows AZ) and mention "Eloy" the difference in reactions is quite telling...

(This post was edited by Zenister on Jan 7, 2005, 2:26 PM)

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jan 7, 2005, 2:56 PM
Post #20 of 40 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deuce] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I like the larger and multiple landing areas of Eloy over Perris, but the air tunnel gives it the edge. When Eloy gets the tunnel it will be very hard to beat it.

However, if that tunnel ever runs at noon in August you'll be able to bake cookies in there.

Z-Hills was pretty epic, too.

Really hard to beat all that airlift capacity at SDA.

Look for a water based method of cooling the air when it opens.Angelic There is a reason the first level in built below grade.

Sparky

(This post was edited by mjosparky on Jan 7, 2005, 2:57 PM)

manifestRyan  (D 26502)

Jan 7, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #21 of 40 (2063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

An 4 point 20 way head down. Done 4 times in a row!

That would be my mecca

AggieDave  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 4:57 PM
Post #22 of 40 (2046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

Yup!

I wonder how many people don't realize how big of a roll Oklahoma played in skydiving during the early and mid '80s...

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jan 7, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #23 of 40 (2039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:

Yup!

I wonder how many people don't realize how big of a roll Oklahoma played in skydiving during the early and mid '80s...

How about in the late 60's early 70's when the nationals where held every year in Tahlequah, OK.

Sparky

AggieDave  (D License)

Jan 7, 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #24 of 40 (2036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] What would you consider to be the mecca of skydiving? [In reply to] Can't Post

That too.

Man, what happened to Oklahoma? Or did the sport grow up too fast on the left coast and Florida?Unsure

jakee  (C License)

Jan 7, 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #25 of 40 (2036 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

People skydived in the 80's!?!

Wow dude........ thats oldTongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Events & Places to Jump

Search for (options)