Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit?

windcatcher  (A 47377)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #1 of 22 (1391 views)
Shortcut
I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? Can't Post

Hey guys, I'm sure it's been asked before, I don't have time right now though to sort through tons of posts to find what I need.
I'm a tall girl, medium build, and I fall very fast. I'm planning on ordering a jumpsuit soon, I like the nylon ones but it's probably not a good idea. So, what would be the best kind of suit to "suit" Laugh my needs?
I want everyone to be able to keep up with me, should my suit be slightly baggy?

(This post was edited by windcatcher on Dec 7, 2004, 11:08 AM)

BETO74  (D License)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #2 of 22 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windcatcher] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

What's your average speed? can you learned to fly your body first try to slow down showing more surface D-arching etc.

bdbrown  (B 27428)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #3 of 22 (1375 views)
Shortcut

How about your b-day suitCoolTongue

Nah try a poly cotton, not real baggy though...Just try and get something where you don't have to arch hard to keep up...need to be able to keep your up-down range.

windcatcher  (A 47377)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #4 of 22 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BETO74] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
In reply to:
What's your average speed? can you learned to fly your body first try to slow down showing more surface D-arching etc.

hmm, that's a good question, guess that's something I should soon find out. All I know is, most everyone I jump with has a hard time keeping up with me, but I also tend to bring my feet in too much, which of course causes me to fall faster.
And yes, I need to be able to adjust my fall rate too, when doing RW stuff right?

larsrulz  (C 34603)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #5 of 22 (1363 views)
Shortcut

swoop cords, I can't recommend them enough. When they aren't needed, then they needed be worried about, but when you do need them, they expand your lower range a lot. I also second the polycotton suggestion.

sabr190  (D 22931)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #6 of 22 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Bodysport makes a great suit called a "crater suit", maybe have it made from supplex,it makes lots of lift and the supplex will allow you to vary your speed. Just my .02

fonz

Dec 7, 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #7 of 22 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Hey, I'm a fast faller too and asked the same question at my home DZ. The advice I got from a very experienced formation jumper (I mean World Team level) was to get a nylon front and cotton-like material (e.g. polycotton) on the extremities (arms/legs).

My suit has been ordered, can't wait to try it out!

jlmiracle  (D License)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #8 of 22 (1331 views)
Shortcut

When ordering, remember bootie will slow you down.

Maybe your not too fast, everyone else is too slow. Tell the to wear some weights.Wink

Judy

windcatcher  (A 47377)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #9 of 22 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
reply]When ordering, remember bootie will slow you down.

Maybe your not too fast, everyone else is too slow. Tell the to wear some weights.Wink

Hi Judy!
Geez, there are so many options.Crazy
Last jump, the guy wore weights and could keep up w/ me better...I don't know if I want to have all my friends wear weights if they're gonna jump with me, Frown, I'd rather "fix" my body/position to suit their needs, rather than have everyone else have to change for me. I guess that's a normal part of flying w/ others though, isn't it?

BETO74  (D License)

Dec 7, 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #10 of 22 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Somebody will agree with me here when I say right after AFF or under a 100 jumps you start discovering that you could D-arch or have a more flat belly to earth position without compromising stability and reducing your fall rate, used to happend tome when I started HD due to lazy legs now I can pretty much keep up and dock without having to think about....practice different positionsWink

Sheenster303  (Student)

Dec 7, 2004, 1:04 PM
Post #11 of 22 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sabr190] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Bodysport makes a great suit called a "crater suit", maybe have it made from supplex,it makes lots of lift and the supplex will allow you to vary your speed. Just my .02

I have a crater suit from Bodysport and it definitely slowed me down. I still fell pretty fast, but the suit did help a lot.

Ncrowe  (A 46781)

Dec 7, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #12 of 22 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sheenster303] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say start doing alot of 2 way's working on your fall rate. When I first started jumping with my buddy 150 lbs to my 175 lbs we had a real hard time staying together. After practing fall rate on aprox 8 jumps we can now stay together very easily. Its just a matter of learning to fly flatter and " bigger" . A baggier/double layered suit will slow you down but you need to be able to control your speed with body position to fly with other people. Something that helped me was not looking up at the person I was jumping with. When you look up it tends to put you in a deeper arch with speeds you up even more. Its better to position yourself perpendicular and look sideways up at the person, well thats what worked for me anyhow.Smile

AggieDave  (D License)

Dec 7, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #13 of 22 (1209 views)
Shortcut

BevSuit does a good job.

Trust me, I fall like a nickel plated safe with rounded edges.Wink

If you call her up and talk to her (or e-mail) she can help you decide which options would help you the most.

Also, good coaching will help you even more. A good RW coach can help your body position to help you control your range a little better. I recommend Skydive U, but there are many other coaches out there that are good as well.Smile

JYorkster  (D 23658)

Dec 7, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #14 of 22 (1188 views)
Shortcut

You may not have 'settled in' to what will be your true body position yet. Many students fresh off status still tend to over-emphasize their arch and, as you said, fly with their leg bent too much. Without seeing your body shape/size/composition and watching you fly, it'd be hard to say what you should do.

I agree with the suggestions...get a few more coach jumps or just go up and jump with a friend to work on fall rates. Get those legs out and feel some positive pressure on them. Get some video if possible to get a clear picture of your body position.

You've got some great instructors up there, so get some advice. If you want to come down to Hinton and check us out, we'll hook you up as well.

Rock

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 7, 2004, 6:22 PM
Post #15 of 22 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Look this over.

Tony Suit

Sparky

flyangel2

Dec 7, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #16 of 22 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
but I also tend to bring my feet in too much

Humm, sounds like the old back sliding problem.

A few questions.
What is the experience of the other people you are jumping with?

Have you done some good drill dives with an experienced jumper that can see what is going on.

Have you had video from the side to see your body position?

rdesilets  (D 27497)

Dec 7, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #17 of 22 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would agree Tony Suit. I used to have to stay towards the inside of big ways or I would be on the verge of going low. Tony Domenico out in Perris helped my measure for a new Tony suit when I was at one of his big way campes. Best $ I have ever spent.. never gone low since.. am in the middle of my fall range, and was on the outside of an 80-way; something I never thought I could do..

windcatcher  (A 47377)

Dec 7, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #18 of 22 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyangel2] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ncrowe:
Quote:
you need to be able to control your speed with body position to fly with other people
this is so true! And I want to learn how to fly my body well.

flyangel2:
Quote:
What is the experience of the other people you are jumping with?
Quote:

Been jumping w/ those w/ just a few hundred jumps, I guess it's true that the more experienced guys I've been jumping with can keep up with me.
Have you done some good drill dives with an experienced jumper that can see what is going on
Quote:
. Not really, just a coach or RW-type jump here and there.

Quote:
Have you had video from the side to see your body position?
Yes, I have video, it shows I need to stick my feet out more.

I talked to my rigger/aff Instructor, I think he knows me best how I fly, so I decided to get either a Bev or Tony suit, w/ booties, grips, reinforced knees and butt, made of nylon. He says I'm a medium-fast faller, I just need to work on my body position, and I guess half of the people who say I fall fast are pretty short and skinny.

flyangel2

Dec 8, 2004, 5:03 AM
Post #19 of 22 (1100 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Yes, I have video, it shows I need to stick my feet out more

That seems to be a common problem, people not getting their legs out enough, so they tend to backslide out of the formation. Then when they are low because of the backslide, they think they are falling fast. Working on muscle memory while on the ground will help you with that.

So I don't have to repeat myself about how I teach muscle memory to students, go here. You'll find a number of post where I explain what I am teaching.

I suggest going up and doing some drill drive with someone who knows what they are doing. I know it's so tempting to want to go and jump with more people, but if you spend your jump money on the drill dives instead of the four way zoo loads, you will come out ahead in the long run. Find some one who is willing to work with you for a day. I think you will see a big difference after a day of drill dives.

Quote:
I decided to get either a Bev or Tony suit,

Go with the Bev Hot Bod suit. It does really make you look Hot! Afterall; it's that what it's all aboutWink

BETO74  (D License)

Dec 8, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #20 of 22 (1086 views)
Shortcut

The good news about this is you could keep up with freefliers while in your belly!!!!! love to dock on belly fliers while HD, I'll be glad to make a video for you, I agree with the comment about it sounds like a back slide get some more positive preasure in your toes

craddock  (D 999999)

Dec 8, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #21 of 22 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
When ordering, remember bootie will slow you down

A popular misconception is that this is always holds true. It sounds like it will in her case, but I have covinced a few very floaty(small) females that booties would speed them up. It ended up makeing a world of difference. More recently someone I know that has always wore 20 lbs of lead and still had to bend in half on faster dives went to Booties after around 9000 jumps. She is a great skydiver, but the booties helped her out with fall rate. It helps with a backsliding problem rather than having their legs extented out.

BlindBrick  (C 35382)

Dec 8, 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #22 of 22 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BETO74] I fall FAST---what kind of jumpsuit? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Somebody will agree with me here when I say right after AFF or under a 100 jumps you start discovering that you could D-arch or have a more flat belly to earth position without compromising stability and reducing your fall rate, used to happend tome when I started HD due to lazy legs now I can pretty much keep up and dock without having to think about....practice different positionsWink

Keep in wind that de-arching doesn't all ways work. Sunday I did a de-arched jump with four free fall computers and they averaged out to 172 mph with no computer varying more than 2 mph from the average.

-Blind

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)