Forums: Archive: 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections:
Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

abra7777

Nov 18, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #1 of 32 (3426 views)
Shortcut
Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. Can't Post

Jeff Mullins
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

National Director Write-in Candidate

College Student and Professional Skydiver

Years Skydiving: 7

Total Skydives: 4500

Past Year: 500

Licenses, Ratings & Awards: D-26744, 3-D Award, AFF I, Tandem Master, Private Pilot.

I have been an active skydiver for over seven years. I first started in 1998 and since then have worked hard to gain experience and knowledge in the sport. I have been actively working in the sport as a cameraman for the past 4 years and am recently became a Tandem jumpmaster and AFF instructor.
During my time as an active skydiver I have visited numerous dropzones and have had the chance to see how a wide variety of USPA dropzones operate. I feel my experiences of being raised on a dropzones and now working at one, combined with my experiences through travel, have given me great insight into how they operate. I feel this knowledge can help me help the USPA group membership program benefit the individual skydiver more and create a better standards of safety for dropzones
I also think that the number one safety problem facing skydivers today is the lack of training under canopy. Many skydivers are hurting themselves under full operational parachutes, and I believe that more training and education would benefit the skydivers and help prevent unnecessary incidents.
So please write me in as a qualified candidate for National Director.

Sincerely,
Jeff Mullins

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Nov 19, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 32 (3311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [abra7777] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

What stopped you from running in the normal manner?

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Nov 22, 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #3 of 32 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [quade] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
What stopped you from running in the normal manner?

USPA wouldn't put his dad on the ballot when he wanted to run for national director. He won via write-in ballots. I don't think USPA is going to allow an underage skydiver on the ballot who normally might not be allowed to jump at most USPA Member DZs.

But, knowing the Mullins family, they have got some great ideas for the sport, and I'm sure Jeff and Joel would help lead the sport into a brighter and better future if given a chance. They've got my vote.

Go Mullins!!

Blue Skies
Billy

jlmiracle  (D License)

Nov 22, 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #4 of 32 (3230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Jeff and Joel Mullins are 18 years old or above.

Judy

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Nov 22, 2004, 1:08 PM
Post #5 of 32 (3227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Both Jeff and Joel Mullins are 18 years old or above.

Judy

Yeah, they are... however, USPA has an axe to grind against the Mullins over the age issue. Hence the decision to run as a write-in candidate. I may be wrong, but isn't that what kept Mike Mullins off the official ballot when he won a seat via write-ins?

Billy

livendive  (D 21415)

Nov 23, 2004, 9:38 AM
Post #6 of 32 (3177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sure Jeff and Joel would help lead the sport into a brighter and better future if given a chance. They've got my vote.

Ditto. The good guys on the BOD need help. I imagine Jeff & Joel will give it to them. They'll both get votes from me.

Blues,
Dave

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Nov 23, 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #7 of 32 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd asked both of them what had kept them from running in the normal manner and I got a PM from Jeff telling me that for a number of reasons they had put off the decision to run until after the deadline.

While I think they might make interesting additions the the BOD, the thing that prevents me from voting for them is this entire issue of missing the deadline. If they missed the deadline for their own interests, then how can I assume they'll make the deadlines for ours?

Also, if a candidate doesn't go through the proper channels to begin with and do all of the leg work required for the other candidates I simply can not support them as a write in. It's unfair.

Even though I can't support them this time, I would like to see both of them run the next time.

I do have some concerns about the possibility of three BOD members from the same family.

(This post was edited by quade on Nov 23, 2004, 1:05 PM)

livendive  (D 21415)

Nov 23, 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #8 of 32 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [quade] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I do have some concerns about the possibility of three BOD members from the same family.

I'd agree if their dad was anyone other than Mullins. In my opinion he's far and away the best ND we've got, and I hope his sons' thoughts on things are remarkably similar to his.

Blues,
Dave

abra7777

Nov 23, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #9 of 32 (3136 views)
Shortcut

the thing that prevents me from voting for them is this entire issue of missing the deadline. If they missed the deadline for their own interests, then how can I assume they'll make the deadlines for ours?
Quote:

While it is true that we did miss the deadline and that is why we are not on the ballot. We did not postpone this until it was too late, we did not have the idea early enough to get the requirements for being put on the ballot. This is a mistake none-the-less that will make it very difficult to get elected. If you would vote for one or both of us if we were on the ballot then why not now that we are trying to get elected even though there is a bigger obstacle in front of us - this shows that we are willing to try no matter how hard it has become. Also we have learned from this mistake and now realize with a political field that being prepared is a huge item and it will help us be ready for issues and problems at the appropriate times.

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Nov 23, 2004, 2:46 PM
Post #10 of 32 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Based on the standpoint of three members on the BOD from the same family, you have a good point. I would be concerned too, but these are the Mullins, and I know these guys are on the up and up.

Besides, they would do a better job helping to move USPA forward than some of the deadwood we currently have on the BOD...

Blue Skies
Billy

Scrumpot  (D License)

Nov 23, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #11 of 32 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Besides, they would do a better job helping to move USPA forward than some of the deadwood we currently have on the BOD...

And who, exactly, in your opinion Billy, is "deadwood" vs "live-wood" on the BOD now? Care to be more specific/name names? ...and why?

Just interested in perhaps expanding this a bit, that's all. If you care to.

-Grant

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Nov 23, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #12 of 32 (3100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scrumpot] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
And who, exactly, in your opinion Billy, is "deadwood" vs "live-wood" on the BOD now? Care to be more specific/name names? ...and why?

I've had dealings with some BOD members in the last year. Read this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/...post=1148584#1148584

I specifically emailed everyone on the BOD that is seeking election. Only 5 or 6 out of 22 people bother to either reply to me in the fourm or to my email with an answer.

When a BOD member says that if I have a question he will only answer them if I call him I don't like it.

Live Wood:
Jan Meyer. She is working on the Skyride issue, she is responding to people on the fourms, she replies to email, and she actually has a list of things shes done.

DJan Stewart: She too actually has a list of goals that she communicates to jumpers. She actually responds to emails, even if they are to people not in her region about questions.

Danny Page: I cornered Danny at WFFC this year and was just talking to him about the USPA and he went to his plane, got the binder that he has from the USPA meeting and showed me everything I wanted to know about the USPA and its last meeting. Showed everyone that was around the presentations some DZ's gave to host nationals and his thuoghts on them. Layed out the financials of the USPA and just how much Parachutist costs us. He too actually responds to emails. Plus he represents RW comp intrests on the BOD better then most.

Gary Peek: Also effectivly communicates with members over email. Offers a small DZ opinion more then any one else on the BOD seems to. He helps to remind all the turbine DZO's on the BOD that what might work for them does'nt work for a 182 DZ.

Dead wood list tommorrow Wink

tspillers  (D 21601)

Nov 29, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #13 of 32 (3019 views)
Shortcut

I beleive, they didn't want to put Mike on the ballot because his DZ was not a GM DZ. I am sure teh age thing added fuel to the fire.

Tod

livendive  (D 21415)

Nov 29, 2004, 7:11 AM
Post #14 of 32 (3010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I specifically emailed everyone on the BOD that is seeking election. Only 5 or 6 out of 22 people bother to either reply to me in the fourm or to my email with an answer.

When a BOD member says that if I have a question he will only answer them if I call him I don't like it.

I'll take that and raise you. I had a National Director tell me he would only answer my questions in person. If I wanted an answer, I'd have to come meet him.

In reply to:
Live Wood:
Jan Meyer. She is working on the Skyride issue, she is responding to people on the fourms, she replies to email, and she actually has a list of things shes done.

DJan Stewart: She too actually has a list of goals that she communicates to jumpers. She actually responds to emails, even if they are to people not in her region about questions.

Danny Page: I cornered Danny at WFFC this year and was just talking to him about the USPA and he went to his plane, got the binder that he has from the USPA meeting and showed me everything I wanted to know about the USPA and its last meeting. Showed everyone that was around the presentations some DZ's gave to host nationals and his thuoghts on them. Layed out the financials of the USPA and just how much Parachutist costs us. He too actually responds to emails. Plus he represents RW comp intrests on the BOD better then most.

Gary Peek: Also effectivly communicates with members over email. Offers a small DZ opinion more then any one else on the BOD seems to. He helps to remind all the turbine DZO's on the BOD that what might work for them does'nt work for a 182 DZ.
Wink

Agreed on all 4 of those, and I'd definitely add Mike Mullins to the list.

Blues,
Dave

jlmiracle  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 8:36 AM
Post #15 of 32 (2999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tspillers] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

They did not put Mike on the Ballot because for the first time ever they had too many people running for National Director that year. They (the Election Committee) decided that I was more qualified and put me on the ballot instead of Mike. At that time I had NO ratings and about 650 jumps and attended 1 BOD meeting.

Mike has years of experience, instructor ratings, pilot, dzo, and attended more than 1 BOD meeting.

The systems is seriously flawed but hopefully it can all get fixed in a few more years.

Judy

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 8:54 AM
Post #16 of 32 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
They did not put Mike on the Ballot because for the first time ever they had too many people running for National Director that year. They (the Election Committee) decided that I was more qualified and put me on the ballot instead of Mike. At that time I had NO ratings and about 650 jumps and attended 1 BOD meeting.

Mike has years of experience, instructor ratings, pilot, dzo, and attended more than 1 BOD meeting.

And who made that decision (and shouldn't be re-elected)?

Derek

jlmiracle  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 8:56 AM
Post #17 of 32 (2991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hooknswoop] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:

And who made that decision (and shouldn't be re-elected)?

Derek

The USPA Board of Directors Election Committee.

Judy

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 9:15 AM
Post #18 of 32 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
The USPA Board of Directors Election Committee.

This is the current committee. Was this the committee that made that decision?

Nominations & Elections

Regional Directors
Chair: John Goswitz
Members: John DeSantis, Lee Schlichtemeier, Larry Stapleton, Sherry Butcher & DJan Stewart

Derek

jlmiracle  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 9:19 AM
Post #19 of 32 (2988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hooknswoop] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, it was Desantis, Murdock, and Schlichtemieir back in 2001.

Judy

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 9:24 AM
Post #20 of 32 (2985 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

Ahh, OK, thanks.

I would love to hear their explanation for that one.

(No insult whatsoever to you, Judy, intended)

Derek

jlmiracle  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 9:35 AM
Post #21 of 32 (2982 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Quote:

Ahh, OK, thanks.

I would love to hear their explanation for that one.

(No insult whatsoever to you, Judy, intended)

Derek

I was curious also so I called MM back then and she said it was because I attended a BOD meeting. Apparently that holds more weight than ratings and pilot licenses. So everyone that has ever attended a USPA BOD meeting should automatically be put on the ballot for National Director.

No insult taken. I was rather speechless that I had made such in impression on the BOD that they picked me over Mike TongueCrazy. LaughLaughLaugh

Hooknswoop  (D License)

Nov 29, 2004, 9:48 AM
Post #22 of 32 (2978 views)
Shortcut

I would like to hear how they think attending 1 BOD meeting trumps Mike's expereince, ratings, etc. I think they were looking for anything they could to keep Mike of the ballot.

USPA needs a serious house-cleaning.

Derek

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Nov 29, 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #23 of 32 (2969 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
USPA needs a serious house-cleaning.

Derek

I couldn't agree with you more. We'll get there some day. "Dead wood" eventually rots away, don't it? Unimpressed

Blue Skies
Billy

(This post was edited by BillyVance on Nov 29, 2004, 10:38 AM)

Premier Remster  (C License)

Nov 29, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #24 of 32 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
"Dead wood" eventually rots away, don't it?

Sometimes, it gets petrified... Unsure

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Nov 29, 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #25 of 32 (2951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] Jeff Mullins running for write-in slot as National Director. [In reply to] Can't Post

And sometimes perfectly healthy parts of the tree are eaten by parasites.

All of that said . . . can anyone tell me again why I should vote for either of the Mullins brothers this election cycle? Can anyone tell me what they've done, locally perhaps, that shows they would be valuable additions to the USPA BOD at this point?

Please site actual examples of their actions . . . not simply how you think they would represent the younger jumpers. Maybe they have some experience in school government or something? I don't know, I'm just looking for any actual leadership experience.

I still maintain my previously stated reasons for not voting for them; missing the deadline and concerns about three members of the BOD from the same family. So, I have a couple of reasons against and none for.

There must be an upside . . . what is it?

(This post was edited by quade on Nov 29, 2004, 12:39 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)