Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe?

321seeya  (D 27734)

Nov 18, 2004, 4:25 PM
Post #1 of 9 (622 views)
Shortcut
Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? Can't Post

This question came up the other night, and it left me wondering. Can you do enoung turns in drouge fall to twist the bridal in such a way that it will not collaspe when deployed? We are using the Strong rig, and it has 2 kill lines. I would think there is the possibility for them to wrap together inside the bridal and get bound up. I wasnt sure if this needed to be in Gear and Rigging or Instructors, so if it is in the wrong forum, please move it.
Thanks in advance.

(This post was edited by 321seeya on Nov 18, 2004, 4:27 PM)

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)
Nov 18, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 9 (597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [321seeya] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

On a Vector Tandem Rig with the tubular kill line, if you don't take the twists out of it routinely it can cause knots that cause the drogue not to collapse completely.

I'm not familiar enough with Strong rigs to comment.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Nov 19, 2004, 3:20 AM
Post #3 of 9 (510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [321seeya] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

YUp I've seen it a few times on the old Vectors they run here.
They're a complete bitch to unwind somtimes tooMadMad

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Nov 19, 2004, 4:33 AM
Post #4 of 9 (502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt if the double kill-lines in a Strong drogue would entangle with each other.
However I do believe that a badly twisted outer bridle (you know the Kevlar thingy) could squeeze a kill-line so tight that it would not collapse.

Nov 19, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #5 of 9 (489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
They're a complete bitch to unwind somtimes too

When I was jumping Vectors, I would take the twists out on every jump. If you take them out often, it won't turn into a major effort. Cool

egons  (D 24231)

Nov 19, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #6 of 9 (483 views)
Shortcut

The Vector II drogue that your referring too is something that we stopped producing some years ago now... The rig is obviously not jumped much if that drogue is still in use, or it has never been replacedCrazy
The latest V2 drogue has a kill line... just like the Sigma Drogue.

Cheers
Egon

Nov 19, 2004, 7:26 AM
Post #7 of 9 (474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [egons] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
The latest V2 drogue has a kill line... just like the Sigma Drogue.

The beauty of having manufacturers' representatives posting here in the forums.

Thanks, Egon!

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Nov 19, 2004, 7:43 AM
Post #8 of 9 (467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [egons] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
The Vector II drogue that your referring too is something that we stopped producing some years ago now...

Is this still availble as a replacement part? I could swear that when I was going through my evaluation jumps they said they just put a new drogue on the V2 I was jumping. And its one of those that needed to be unspun to jump all the time.

egons  (D 24231)

Nov 19, 2004, 7:58 AM
Post #9 of 9 (459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Can you twist up a drouge, to the point that it wont collaspe? [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be very right in the fact that it was a new drogue. You must remember that a tandem rig is generelly bought and used as a business system and the owner/dz will generally buy spare parts for the system - the drogue being a high wear item should always be on hand to swing out when needed!
As for the V2 drogues - we moved from the curved pin to a flex-pin drogue with kill line in 1999 which we call the V2.5 drogue.

Hope that helps.

Egon

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)