Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
1st reserve ride

Icon134  (D 29820)

Oct 31, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #1 of 8 (801 views)
Shortcut
1st reserve ride Can't Post

So I had my 1st reserve ride today and figured I should post about it.

My profile has my container and canopy information so I won't repeat it here.

I deployed about 4k decent snivel on my main then opened briskly with some closed end cells (not unusual I can usually open them up with a few pumps of the rear risers or brakes.

in this instance the left end cell persisted in staying deflated which caused a turn (that was beginning to accelerate) and brought me down to 2500k where I made the decision to cut it away (it was not a landable canopy)

Everything was recovered (the main and free bag were at the end of the runway) I didn't throw my handles but stuffed them in my jumpsuit (its ok to throw them but I didn't...)

Observations:

1. When I was telling people about the cutaway a lot of people felt the need to tell me that end cell closer is "common" and that "all you need to do is pump your brakes and/or risers to clear it"

I know this. I've dealt with it before... but if a canopy can't be landed when I'm at decision altitude I'm going to get rid of it.

2. Have a decision altitude and stick to it. (Mine is currently set @ 2500ft) don't fight it just a little bit longer cut it away.

3. Some of my friends that haven't had cutaways yet asked me if I was scared. I wasn't mostly I was annoyed that my two week old reserve pack was being used and that I'd have to pay for the repack. (I do understand that the alternative is much worse... and my rigger will be rewarded for saving my life.)

I think that's it.

Questions, Comments, etc, are welcome.

Scott

Moved to Safety and Training since this is not a serious or unusual incident.

(This post was edited by billvon on Oct 31, 2004, 9:34 PM)

robertmicp  (A License)

Oct 31, 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #2 of 8 (715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Icon134] 1st reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a textbook event that you delt with. As I was taught, know your hard deck and get rid of it if you feel that you can not land it.

Congrats I say!!!

Glad you hear to talk about it.

skydiverjerry  (D 9092)

Nov 1, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #3 of 8 (695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robertmicp] 1st reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

good drills,
as the pilot only you can make the choice if you make the right one, well the proof will be when your in the bar talking about it.

as any instructor would tell you when in doubt get it out

blue skies

dorbie

Nov 2, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #4 of 8 (551 views)
Shortcut

I've been instructed (and verified in practice on several openings) that you open end cell closure by reducing the speed of the canopy by applying the brakes and holding the brakes until the canopy slows sufficiently. This reduces the pressure on the closed cells caused by the flow of air over/against them and allows them to inflate (and changes the angle of attack). It works like a charm.

I'm not saying that would have fixed your problem but an experienced canopy instructor / test pilot has pointed out to me that your method of pumping brakes for end cell closure is a common misconception although the slowing it causes will get you there in the end, holding brakes gets you there faster and more consistently.

Pump to bring the slider down but hold to open end cells.

(This post was edited by dorbie on Nov 2, 2004, 1:02 AM)

Icon134  (D 29820)

Nov 2, 2004, 6:33 AM
Post #5 of 8 (519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorbie] 1st reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of this method to open the end cells. Using the brakes to try and inflate them typically works in this instance however the left side was not inflating and I had dropped to my decision altitude on a canopy that was unlandable.

Scott

btw: thanks for the input... it is appreciated...

tdog  (D 28800)

Nov 2, 2004, 6:42 AM
Post #6 of 8 (518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorbie] 1st reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not saying that would have fixed your problem but an experienced canopy instructor / test pilot has pointed out to me that your method of pumping brakes for end cell closure is a common misconception although the slowing it causes will get you there in the end, holding brakes gets you there faster and more consistently.

Pump to bring the slider down but hold to open end cells.

Anyone else comment - slow wing vs pump for closed end cells??? I was told to pump, but at the same time they recommended a flare first in the controllability check because it would kill two birds with one stone. (I just realized that saying is not the best for skydiving.)

(This post was edited by tdog on Nov 2, 2004, 6:44 AM)

dorbie

Nov 2, 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #7 of 8 (491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tdog] 1st reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

FWIW I realize I'm a 100 jump wonder, but this hold brakes to inflate endcells instead of pumping advice is straight from a canopy control course by a well respected touring instructor/test pilot who was coaching some very experience and highly qualified jumpers (and meSmile). I've also tried it in practice and it works, I can even feel my canopy slow and anticipate the end cells opening.

The USPA SIM also gives the same advice (without the technical explanation of why it works). The alternate is to hold (not pump) the back risers to slow the canopy. You can find it in the Emergency Procedure Review on page 40 of the 2005 SIM.

(This post was edited by dorbie on Nov 2, 2004, 11:18 AM)

robertmicp  (A License)

Nov 2, 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #8 of 8 (486 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I had dropped to my decision altitude on a canopy that was unlandable.

And isnt that the bottom line here? I have limited jumps, but I know when Im at my hard deck and I cannot land it, the choice is made for me....get rid of it, period !!

Once again, Great heads up !!

jmho

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)