Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
About horseshoes and pilot chutes...

Malta_Dog

Oct 11, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1178 views)
Shortcut
About horseshoes and pilot chutes... Can't Post

In this thread, a lot of people claim that they dread the horsehoe malfunction.

This month, I've been using Brian Germain's method to pack pilot chutes (Clicky!) to avoid the nasty consequences of a horsehoe (main-reserve entanglement because the main is held by the pilot-chute stuck in the BOC pocket). The short and fat packed pilot-chute holds very nicely into the BOC pocket and the required pull force is now a bit stronger, but I haven't had any trouble so far.

I just would like to know if somebody, by using this method, has avoided a horseshoe or, to the contrary, has encountered another kind of problem. I understand that by putting the pilot chute bridle attachment point close to the BOC pocket entry, the bridle should be able to get the pilot chute out and turn a horseshoe into a premature deployment (still hazardous but probably less so). I'm a bit uncomfortable though with the folded bridle being so close to the hackey and I'm always extra careful not to misroute it.

Any experiences/advices/opinions?

Thanks

<edited for typos>

(This post was edited by Malta_Dog on Oct 11, 2004, 4:53 AM)

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Oct 11, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Malta_Dog] About horseshoes and pilot chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately horseshoes are rare with modern Spandex BOCs.
The other major factor is keeping closing loops tight.

skyhighkiy  (B License)

Oct 11, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1087 views)
Shortcut

I gotsta gets me a big metal hook knife, Hyuck hyuck.

Tongue

I actually do have a question about this. I've heard of the small plastic hook knifes breaking, what's the chance of getting through a bridal and deploying your reserve before smacking in to the ground if using a double-bladed metal hook knife

(This post was edited by skyhighkiy on Oct 11, 2004, 7:45 AM)

AndyMan  (D 25698)

Oct 11, 2004, 9:37 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1033 views)
Shortcut

I've been in the sport for 5 years, and have spend virtually every non-winter weekend on a turbine dropzone.

I've never seen a horseshoe malfunction.

Modern gear is very good at keeping container secured until the pilot chute is extracted.

_Am

diablopilot  (D License)

Oct 11, 2004, 9:43 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyhighkiy] About horseshoes and pilot chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I've heard of the small plastic hook knifes breaking

The cheap ornage plactic "Zak" knives do have a nasty habit of breaking. When presented with a better alternitive, Sunpath (on of the manufacturers that used to include them with their rig) changed to the much more robust knife procuced by Square 1 and Saftey Knife.com. Nearly indestructable (right KellyF?Wink)

Quote:
, what's the chance of getting through a bridal and deploying your reserve before smacking in to the ground

How much time do you have?

Quote:
if using a double-bladed metal hook knife

A metal handled knife is probably the strongest thing avaliable, howeve a double bladed knife is not always the best thing. Double blades, especialy when mounted in a flexable plasic frame, are both less efficient and more prone to jams/clogs than a properly designed single blade knife.

skyhighkiy  (B License)

Oct 11, 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #6 of 9 (979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] About horseshoes and pilot chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently the owner of one of those awesomely constructed Zak knives.

thx for the info.

I guess my question, regarding the bridal thing is, has anyone seen someone cut through the bridal material or does N E one know how quickly a hook knife can cut through?

diablopilot  (D License)

Oct 11, 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #7 of 9 (974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyhighkiy] About horseshoes and pilot chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tested knives on the ground cutting through everything from type 3 tape (pull up cord material), type 4 (many bridles), to type 7,8,13, and 17 (various webbings used in harnesses. In each instance the single blade 4" knifes, and the metal double blades cut through a 1 to 2 inch wide sample in less than a second.

skyhighkiy  (B License)

Oct 11, 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #8 of 9 (968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] About horseshoes and pilot chutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

sweet ass, thx

billbooth  (D 3546)

Oct 11, 2004, 1:37 PM
Post #9 of 9 (952 views)
Shortcut

Here's a simple test I've used from day one (25 years ago) designing pilot chute pouches. Pack your BOC in the pouch with the main container closed. Now, pull the pilot chute out of the pouch by the BRIDLE (not the handle). If it comes out relatively easily, your packing method is OK, and you will not have a horseshoe because of a premature main container opening. With a Spandex pouch, it's very hard to flunk this test. That's why you rarely see a horseshoe resulting from a pilot chute stuck in a pouch.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)