Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Closing Loops and washers...

Kris  (D 26033)

Oct 4, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Closing Loops and washers... Can't Post

Well, here's another thing to add to your check-lists...

I usually use closing loops that I fingertrap from gutted 550 cord. I treated the last one with Cypres silicone and it had been going strong for about 60 jumps but was finally showing some fray. So, I decided to throw on the closing loop I got from Jumpshack on my Mirage. It's made from 1000# spectra.

Well, imagine my surprise when I pulled the cover flap back and saw the bottom of my closing loop. The washer that keeps the knot from slipping through the grommet on the container flap had sawed through about 70-75% of the closing loop!Shocked

It was a premie/horseshoe just waiting to happen. I was able to put a rod through the loop and snap it with a few sharp tugs.

I checked both the grommet and the washer and there are no burrs or nicked edges. It was simply the thin washer slicing the cord over time.

I'm not using the washer with the spectra loop as it's thick enough that the knot isn't going to go through the grommet, but those of you who have been using your loops awhile definitely need to check this one out.

sunshine  (D License)

Oct 4, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kris] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Good post kris. I actually had to replace Val's a few weeks ago cause her washer was in bad shape. Just another thing people need to check.

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 4, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1257 views)
Shortcut

Ahhh...Blush

I just check mine...Shocked

THANK YOU !!!UnsureUnsure

Premier GravityGirl  (D 18897)

Oct 4, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Explain to me why this would be a horseshoe. Maybe I am not understanding the point of failure on your closing loop.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Oct 4, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GravityGirl] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the closing loop breaks above the knot it does'nt matter if its at the base or in the loop, its all a broken closing loop and could lead to the main falling out at any time in freefall.

masher  (D 3806)

Oct 4, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GravityGirl] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Explain to me why this would be a horseshoe. Maybe I am not understanding the point of failure on your closing loop.

If the loop broke, and the container opened in freefall, you would have a horseshoe.

diablopilot  (D License)

Oct 4, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [masher] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
If the loop broke, and the container opened in freefall, you would have a horseshoe.

Unless you had a pull out in which case your pilot chute would also be exposed to the airstream and you'd just get a canopy.

(This post was edited by diablopilot on Oct 4, 2004, 10:40 PM)

Premier GravityGirl  (D 18897)

Oct 4, 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay. I guess you are assuming that the failure will happen BEFORE the pilot chute is deployed.

In mind, I would assume that the failure would occur when there was actual movement. But then again, we all know what A.S.S.U.ME stands for.

Clearly the fact remains to maintenance your gear and check for friction and abraision.

I am just curious to see if an actual failure would occur with the constant pressure of a closed container, if it didn't go when you were yanking the closing loop around to get the sucker closed.

skymedic  (C 33561)

Oct 4, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Unless you had a pull out in which case your pilot chute would also be exposed to the air streem and you'd just get a canopy.

and at Kris's sit fly speeds...OUCH...but much better than a nasty horsey playing around back there.UnimpressedUnimpressed

Kris  (D 26033)

Oct 4, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymedic] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
and at Kris's sit fly speeds...OUCH...but much better than a nasty horsey playing around back there.UnimpressedUnimpressed

Ahem! Who had to go into a stand to catch you the last time we jumped together?Laugh

councilman24  (D 8631)

Oct 5, 2004, 7:22 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sunshine] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nomal sheet metal washers are ok. But I've found that POP rivet backer "washers" are a better choice. They are thicker than a normal washer and don't bend. The hold is also somewhat smaller. But they can be sharp so the edges need to be deburred.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Oct 5, 2004, 8:15 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Closing Loops and washers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a reminder to replace closing loops when they START to fray.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)