Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
How much can a booty hold?

2fat2fly  (A License)

Oct 3, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2036 views)
Shortcut
How much can a booty hold? Can't Post

Less tha 250 pounds. I'm putting this here instead of "Incidents" because it's more of an occurance. Launching a four way from a 182 today-I was coming off of the step when I couldn't help but notice I was upside down under the plane. I wasn't careful enough about where I put my foot and my booty hung. Less than 3 seconds and it had torn and released me, but I can see where this could be a real problem. I just wanted to pop this out as a reminder.

skysprite  (B License)

Oct 3, 2004, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2fat2fly] How much can a booty hold? [In reply to] Can't Post

This very same thing happened to an instructor at my dz this weekend. His booty also got caught on the step of a C182.

darkwing  (D 4164)

Oct 4, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1915 views)
Shortcut

At least one time a C-182 landed with someone hung up on the step by their bootie. I saw it on Real TV.

mr2mk1g  (C 103449)

Oct 4, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Just ask an OZ guy on here who posts as "Dangles".

No prizes for guessing how he came up with his name.

FrogNog  (C 34484)

Oct 4, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Ah. You mean "Bootie".

Booty is something entirely different. It's either a pirate thing, or a butt thing. Smile

dubbayab

Oct 4, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1755 views)
Shortcut

It happens more often than you would think. The times I herd about the bootie tore. But I do Believe it could actually hang on , you would be traped. Hope to have a hook knife.

2fat2fly  (A License)

Oct 5, 2004, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dubbayab] How much can a booty hold? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a hook knife but I'm not all that sure I'd be able to cut it. We keep a hunting knife of some sort on the plane and the pilot assured me that he has no problem sawing through my leg if that's what it takes to get him down safely.

tspillers  (D 21601)

Oct 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darkwing] How much can a booty hold? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
At least one time a C-182 landed with someone hung up on the step by their bootie. I saw it on Real TV.

We now own that plane. The individual that did the door and step mod forgot to remove the small factory step on the wheel strut. It stuck out foreward of the jump step. It was removed after the incident. It just so happens the the FAA Inspector that signed off on the plane, now works in our area. We had a lengthy discussion abou it.

vibeke  (C 2015)

Oct 10, 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Actually some booties are stronger than others.
Getting your bootie caught on something isn't the most likely thing, but it does happen.

During training in Russia just around the time for the Malewsky cup this year, our national team DaneZ where there, jumping with the norwegian national team Arcteryx. DaneZ is the last team out. But as they approaches the tailgate on the MI8 and takes a look down, to see Arcteryxs exit, they see a guy dangling by his bootie! It is caught on an iron ring right on the tailgate! Tuffe jving as the guy is called, couldent get free on his own.Crazy
DaneZ had to lift him back up to reduce the weight pressure before being able to lift Tuffe off the ring and throw him after his teammates! He waved and smiled, they reported. Cool

Afterwards they all tried to MAKE their booties get stuck and analyze what happened. The caught bootie could not be reconstructed. (Thank god)

But still, to answer your question:
Some booties - under some circumstances, are pretty strong and will hold a persons weight!

Edit: spelling

(This post was edited by vibeke on Oct 10, 2004, 12:00 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)