Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
OMEGA 170 SLOW OPENINGS

scottjo  (C License)

Apr 23, 2001, 4:52 PM
Post #1 of 4 (826 views)
Shortcut
OMEGA 170 SLOW OPENINGS Can't Post

I have a Omega 170, it takes a long time to open, however they are smooth. I heard that cutting a hole in the slider might help, anybody have any thoughts?

landmissle  (A 37727)

Apr 23, 2001, 9:05 PM
Post #2 of 4 (812 views)
Shortcut
Re: OMEGA 170 SLOW OPENINGS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Scottjo,

Before doing any modifications to the slider or any component for that matter I would consider how you're packing the canopy. There are alot of things you can do simpley by packing to speed up the opening.
You didn't say how and what method you're using so I'll give you a basic example.
Suppose you're Pro-Packing;
To speed up openings you can;
1)Don't roll the nose as much (For example if you're rolling it three times, back it down to two and then one if it still opening to slow.)
2) When rolling the nose, don't roll them all together, rather grab cells 1,2,3,and 4(if it's a nine cell.) and roll or fold them towards the center. Leave the center cell unrolled and then do the same for the cells on the other side 6,7,8, and 9 (if it's a nine cell.)
3) If doing the above, pull out the center cell to increase the opening speed.
You can also try packing differently, say, Psycho-Pack instead or Pro-Pack, or some of the other methods.
The point is, try technics first before physical modifications, it's much easier to change methods and styles to suit your taste than it is to change modifications that may have negative effects and be much harder to revert back from.
If you give some more details in how your packing I'm sure some of our resident experts will be able to help you out.

Feet up, heads down, Blue skies,

Landmissle

Vlad  (A 38183)

Apr 23, 2001, 9:55 PM
Post #3 of 4 (809 views)
Shortcut

to Scottjo :

I have an Omega 160, which opens very good : not as slow, as Spectre, but still very soft. I do have a hole in the slider, it just was manufactured this way by Presicion. You can call 'em and ask for a new slider . I know, that PD does that for no charge, not sure about PA, however.
Blue Skies !

ditch9276  (A 9489)

Apr 24, 2001, 12:24 AM
Post #4 of 4 (801 views)
Shortcut

Hi Scottjo, before youll change anything i think itll be better if you ask your rigger, perhaps he/her can give you any tipps or tricks about packing your canopy. If your rigger cant give any tipps ask other jumpers that have the same canopy or ask the manufacturer of the canopy.

blue skies ditch9276

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)