Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
1st Rig

skydude2000  (B 5843)

Sep 18, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1023 views)
Shortcut
1st Rig Can't Post

Hey all. I'm just coming off student status and will be looking for my first rig soon. I've been told the best way to figure out what to buy is to jump different types of gear, different canopies, containers and such. But my problem is the gear I've been jumping has been customized with a left-hand BOC. I have Cerebral Palsy and cannot pull a BOC with my right hand. Is there a way that I can still demo regular gear? I thought of changing the closing sequence and routing the bridle to the left like I've been doing, but just hold onto the PC, and do a hop'n' pop. Would that work? Is there an easier way to do this??

Thanks,

Skydude

P. S. I'm currently flying a Tutor-288.

pilotdave  (D License)

Sep 18, 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #2 of 10 (976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydude2000] 1st Rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Just my opinion here...

I dont personally think demoing containers is particularly useful. All it will tell you is how comfortable that particular container is. But comfort depends on so many different factors, including how well that particular demo fits you.

So, I'd personally say forget about demoing a container. Pick it based on what's important to you (ie get a Vector3 if you're into safety, a purple mirage if you're metrosexual, or a javelin if you like to wait long periods of time for something pretty average Tongue). Choose main and reserve canopy sizes with the help of your instructors. Then, and this is only my crazy idea, buy the container and reserve, and DEMO some mains. Then you'll be able to figure out what main you want, while having your own left hand deploy container to try it in.

Dave

Premier GravityGirl  (D 18897)

Sep 18, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #3 of 10 (966 views)
Shortcut

Agreed. I am not a big fan of demoing containers either. Inspecting them for quality of craftsmanship, yes.

But any given demo is not going to be custom built for you anyway.

If you cannot pull with your right hand, how do you cutaway? Do you need an SOS system?

Lozza  (C 574)

Sep 18, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #4 of 10 (962 views)
Shortcut

Skydude I would have agree with Dave.

90 percent of the time If you demo a container it won't fit you as well as a custom made one, so it can be a waste of time and money. Remember if you go crazy with colours on the container, it may be hard to re-sell if you go that way in the future? Just make sure you do order a left had container, it will be alot easyer for you.

When looking around, what do you like, look at value for money, for me a Icon had more features than the rest at a far better price. And because I had Aerodyne put a Smart reserve in it worked out cheaper. (not trying to pump the product.)

With a main look at your own ability, your not going to be swooping so you don't need a super small canopy, what are the weather conditions like, 7-cells handle the turbulance alot better, and are great for demos, but don't get the same penitration through the higher winds like a traditional 9-cell.

So with your main talk to you instructors and see what they have to say, make sure they're trying not to sell you in to one make or model because they jump it, or to steer you away from another because they don't like it. Make sure any reasons are justifiable, and are not putting you under something your not comfortable with flying. (too small.)

From the 288 your flying now, something around the 190 mark will be a noticable step down, but not to much. However you might out grow a 190 fairly quick? It's hard to say not knowing you, your weight or you abilty. So talk to those Instuctors.

Also check out the gear reviews to see what's out there and what other's have to say about it.

All the best with you decision.

Lozza.

skydude2000  (B 5843)

Sep 19, 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #5 of 10 (897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilotdave] 1st Rig [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have no problem demo-ing canopies in the custom container I have now, but how difficult would it be for my rigger to keep switching canopies in and out of my container? I don't want to make him do more work than he has to. As for the cutaway, I've trained and tested for it with the regular system, besides, I pull it with both hands anyway. I just don't have the control over my right hand to comfortably pull a BOC. Thanks for the info all.

Skydude

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Sep 19, 2004, 2:55 PM
Post #6 of 10 (876 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
get a Vector3 if you're into safety

The Vector 3 is no more safe or unsafe than any other container out there.

I also disagree that demoing containers isn't helpful. At the least trying on several containers with the canopy size combinations you're most likely to go with will tell you which container planform is going to fit your torso length best. Some containers are longer top to bottom than others; if you have a short torso certain container/larger canopy size combos will not work well for you, same if you have a long torso and are jumping "smaller" canopies.

(This post was edited by skybytch on Sep 19, 2004, 2:58 PM)

pilotdave  (D License)

Sep 19, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #7 of 10 (867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] 1st Rig [In reply to] Can't Post

Might work great for people of average size. But to find multiple demos from different manufacturers with the same canopy sized you want to buy, and with harnesses of the same size is probably impossible for many people. I'd say it makes a lot more sense to ask someone like you what containers work best for the body size/canopy sizes that the person wants.

And what makes you believe all containers are equally safe? The vector3 has quite a few safety features not found on other rigs. Maybe things like the right side RSL, skyhook, collins lanyard, secondary riser covers, etc aren't necessary, but I believe that each of those features mitigates a possible hazard. Together, I believe they make the vector3 safer than any other container on the market. I'm not saying any other rig is unsafe, but the vector3 was designed with safety in mind, not comfort, price, or looks... in my opinion. And I'm not saying it isn't comfortable, I'm just saying it doesn't have all the latest comfort features available from other manufacturers.

And skydude... you can learn to hook the canopies up yourself. It's really not very hard... you just have to make sure to do a good line check afterwards to make sure you got it right.

Dave

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Sep 19, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #8 of 10 (859 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Might work great for people of average size. But to find multiple demos from different manufacturers with the same canopy sized you want to buy, and with harnesses of the same size is probably impossible for many people.

No need for the harness to fit to determine if a particular container planform is best for a particular torso length - and that's most important for people who are NOT average sized.

In reply to:
Maybe things like the right side RSL, skyhook, collins lanyard, secondary riser covers, etc aren't necessary

My Infinity has a right side RSL and secondary riser covers. So do several other rigs. I'm impressed with the Skyhook but still not sold on it enough to make it a reason to recommend the Vector 3 over any other container.

In reply to:
Together, I believe they make the vector3 safer than any other container on the market.

And you are entitled to your opinion. Mine is different.

In reply to:
I'm not saying any other rig is unsafe, but the vector3 was designed with safety in mind, not comfort, price, or looks

All containers currently on the market are designed -and advertised - with safety and comfort in mind.

skydude2000  (B 5843)

Sep 28, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #9 of 10 (737 views)
Shortcut

Hey, thanks again for the info all. I went up last weekend to jump, and my DZO felt confident enough in my CC skills that he would check me out to fly his Sabre 170. I'm guessing the problem was that he realized the 170 wouldn't fit into the container for the 288, for some reason. I didn't ask why, and he said he wasn't willing to mod another container for a left BOC. I guess my only option now is to try on containers till I find one that fits? And will be able to hold anything I'd ever want to put in it?? Input anyone????

Premier GravityGirl  (D 18897)

Sep 29, 2004, 9:54 AM
Post #10 of 10 (696 views)
Shortcut

No containers will be able to fit any canopy you will ever want to fit into it.

Containers are built to the size of the canopies. The harness is built to your body.

Now most containers will accomodate a downsize or two. But further than that will not be a safe fit.

A mod for left side depoloyment is not that expensive. So when you go to resell it, the cost to put it back on the right should be minimal.

Make sure you buy a good container that will hold it's resale value well. Then when you need a new container, you can trade up without too much more cash out of pocket.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)