Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Landing fatality in Skydive Colombia?

alienfreefly  (C License)

Sep 15, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Landing fatality in Skydive Colombia? Can't Post

Does anyone know anything about this guy who died in Colombia? or what happened?Crazy

medusa  (D 27526)

Sep 16, 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alienfreefly] Landing fatality in Skydive Colombia? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone know anything about this guy who died in Colombia? or what happened?Crazy

As far as I know, it was an exhibition jump in a high school in Bogot, (2.640 Mts) Colombia.
His name was Alvaro Tovar I believe he was 30 something years old, he was an experience jumper with 500 jumps, he used to jump at sea level.

The incident occurred past Monday 13 in Bogot Colombia in an exhibition jump in a high school. The jumpers (3) jump from 3.000 fetts and hop and pop, everything went normal.
At landing Alvaro Tovar try a front riser turn attempting a swoop landing and a huge wow! On the viewers, after doing his aggressive turn he found him self pretty low, so to fix it (I dont know why) he did a 90 degree turn and impact the ground down wind.

I think that the mistake is to attempt a high performance landing, in an altitude you are not used to!Crazy

alienfreefly  (C License)

Sep 17, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [medusa] Landing fatality in Skydive Colombia? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that, it is really hard to perform a display jump, even harder to do it with HP canopies and even harder in such a high altitude.
A good lesson for all the skydivers who think they are experienced enough to make such low turns in an unfamiliar environment.

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)