Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
7 jumps on boc

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Aug 11, 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #1 of 11 (869 views)
Shortcut
7 jumps on boc Can't Post

I have 7 jumps on BOC from ripcord now, and so far after a RW jump and track as I am stopping my track to get ready to deploy I reach back and touch my PC handle. I usually do it 500 feet from my normal pull altitude. I do not wave off, and I do not make a throwing movement, just a relaxed reach and touch to not alarm anyone, then back to arch wave off and throw. Does anyone do this occasionally just to be prepared, and to learn the muscle memory in the air? Is this a bad thing to do for people around me freaking out?(my thought is that they should not be that close anyways) I will stop this every in a few jumps as I am now comfortable with BOC. Just wondering everyones thoughts on when it is acceptable to do practice touches/pulls.

Mad47

Aug 11, 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 11 (846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cvfd1399] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

How about making a solo dive to practice deployment and break-away procedures all the way down? You will have more time and altitude to work on equipment awareness without being distracted by other free-fall procedures.
It is also a good idea to mentally prepare yourself for a cut-away every time you deploy your main and to locate cut-away and reserve handles right after your main is successfully deployed.

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Aug 11, 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #3 of 11 (836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mad47] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

I did that on my first jump on BOC coach jump 14k exit practice pulls till 8k then deploy.

I always immediatly look at my handle after my canopy is over head and touch it. One to make sure it is seated properly, for practice, and muscle memory. I have a Single operating handle(S.O.S) So it makes for a quicker cut away, but no option to make a 2 out if needed.Unsure

Mixxit  (B License)

Aug 12, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #4 of 11 (730 views)
Shortcut

Not to hijack a thread or anything but why would anyone ever WANT a two-out? I'm sure there's a good reason, but being a noob and all, I can't seem to come up with it. Laugh

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Aug 12, 2004, 8:07 AM
Post #5 of 11 (718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mixxit] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Not to hijack a thread or anything but why would anyone ever WANT a two-out? I'm sure there's a good reason, but being a noob and all, I can't seem to come up with it. Laugh

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"two out" is another way of saying "canopy transfer."
Canopy transfers were a last ditch effort back when round reserves were in fashion. The concept was that if you found yourself below 500 under a spinning malfunctioning main parachute, you tossed out more nylon to slow your arrival at the scene of the accident.
Now this obscure technique is rarely practiced because of the high risk of square-square entanglement.

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Aug 13, 2004, 8:55 AM
Post #6 of 11 (665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mixxit] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

Canopy transfer, or anytime you need 2 out to slow down as a last ditch effort to slow impact. It is said that in a 2 person canopy entanglemet that cannot be seperated it is a thought for both jumpers to pull their reserves without cutting away to put as much drag into the air to hopefully get at least one canopy open or add as much drag to the mess as you can.

Kris  (D 26033)

Aug 15, 2004, 1:39 AM
Post #7 of 11 (617 views)
Shortcut

Do a look & wave-off anyway. If I'm anywhere near you and I see you reaching for a hacky, even in a "relaxed" manner, I'm getting the hell out of dodge.Sly

If I see you reach back I have to presume that you're about to deploy.

tustinr  (D 610)

Aug 17, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #8 of 11 (562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kris] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not a good idea to do a practice touch so close to pull time after a formation jump. May cause confusion. Rather do a Solo jump from higher and do 2 or 3 practice practice pulls before dumping if you need more confidence.

I remember doing camera for a 3 way with relatively inexperienced jumpers and, despite, a good ground briefing explaining to them to track the hell out of there as I was going to deploy directly above them on wave off (cameraman has centre of formation), one jumper did a lazy track and started going for his hackey directly below and just slightly to the side of me as I was going for mine. Nearly gave me a heart attack - fortunately he looked up and realised there was someone above him and tracked further. By that time I had deployed ! With my heart in my mouth !

Nope not a good idea to do practice pulls on a formation jump !

Rich

Garycal  (A 40806)

Aug 17, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #9 of 11 (556 views)
Shortcut

I do it on every jump just to know it didnt get pushed into the pouch to far on a tight load

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Aug 19, 2004, 6:03 AM
Post #10 of 11 (531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garycal] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I do it on every jump just to know it didn't get pushed into the pouch to far on a tight load

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You would be far wiser to pat all your handles during the last minute before climb out.

A more formal version is the "3 of 3" check:
3 buckles
3 handles
and 3-rings

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Aug 19, 2004, 2:12 PM
Post #11 of 11 (514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] 7 jumps on boc [In reply to] Can't Post

I do that as well touch all 3 rings, touch my 1 handleTongue all webbing routing and snaps. Then P/C handle

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)