Forums: Archive: 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections:
Health insurance skydiving exclusions

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 25, 2004, 9:12 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2178 views)
Shortcut
Health insurance skydiving exclusions Can't Post

Following a recent change in Federal law, many health insurance providers are now excluding skydiving injuries from coverage.

Is this an issue that USPA is or should be concerned about? Is there anything that USPA can do to assist those now without skydiving injury coverage?

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 25, 2004, 9:19 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

It is most definitely an issue that the USPA is concerned about. You may have forgotten that the USPA sends out insurance policy sign-ups at least twice a year.

I, for one, will take advantage of that.

Mike Turoff

bodypilot90  (D 24249)

Jul 25, 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't that LIFE not Health?

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 25, 2004, 3:48 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bodypilot90] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't that LIFE not Health?

Life and loss of limbs or eyes. Won't cover, for example, a broken femur unless the leg is amputated.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 25, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bodypilot90] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

ACK! You're mostly right. There are paralysis benefits and amputation benefits (including extremeties, fingers, thumbs, etc.) as well as loss of sight and/or hearing benefits. However, there is no "medical" coverage. Maybe this is something that we will want "membership services" to address. To get the process rolling, try contacting your current directors (regional and national) to see what might be possible.

Just remember....your membership fee gets you $50,000 of liability insurance. That's cheap!

Mike Turoff

Nightingale  (B 26984)

Jul 26, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

I have blue cross health insurance, and my policy does NOT exclude skydiving injuries. I don't know about other companies or policies, though.

jlmiracle  (D License)

Jul 26, 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2065 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Following a recent change in Federal law, many health insurance providers are now excluding skydiving injuries from coverage.

Is this an issue that USPA is or should be concerned about? Is there anything that USPA can do to assist those now without skydiving injury coverage?

I thought the USPA informed us of this upcoming problem several months ago, back when the wanted to exclude ALL extreme sports for coverage.

Judy

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 26, 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I thought the USPA informed us of this upcoming problem several months ago, back when the wanted to exclude ALL extreme sports for coverage.

Judy
Informing us is one thing. Doing anything about it is another.

I just got notified last week that my insurance company won't cover extreme sports injuries.

If USPA could negotiate some kind of accident coverage policy, I would buy it. I bought the death and dismemberment coverage.

jlmiracle  (D License)

Jul 26, 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
USPA Opposes New Group Health Rules (0701/01)
USPA submitted comments to three federal agencies that had issued new regulations concerning discrimination in employers' group health plans. USPA fully supported the new provision that requires an employer to enroll a worker in a group health plan even if that worker enjoys active hobbies or sports activities like skydiving. However, USPA adamantly opposed another provision that allows an employer to refuse to pay a claim for injuries incurred as a result of recreational activities. The association extends gratitude to all skydivers who took the time to submit comments to the federal government. USPA will monitor the results and keep its members advised.

Back to 2001 Archives

Just a little FYI - they did try to do something.

MakeItHappen

Jul 26, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2013 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

I just got notified last week that my insurance company won't cover extreme sports injuries.

If USPA could negotiate some kind of accident coverage policy, I would buy it. I bought the death and dismemberment coverage.

If I was in your situation I would do the following:

1. I'd contact my employer and ask that an insurance plan that does not exclude high risk sports be included. Self-employed people and small companies can get that, so it should not be a major hassle to get that from an employer [in theory anyway].

2. If plan 1. did not work, I'd seek the 'I do not want any of your plans' option and get insured the same way self-employed people do.

3. If plan 1. would take a year or so for your employer to implement, then look at traveler's insurance. They can insure you for just about anything. It is expensive, but if you want the coverage it is available.

4. This is the 'long shot' plan: Tell the insurance company that if former President George Bush skydives, then skydiving is not an extreme sport. [Let me know what kind of mileage you get out of that.]

5. This is the 'well-to-do' plan: Stash away cash and liquid assets to cover yourself in case of a catastrophic accident.

As to USPA creating a health insurance plan for jumpers:
If there was a way to get only catastrophic coverage, I'd be all for it. I've asked around for this and have not been able to find it. The companies want you for the day-to-day or monthly stuff too, in order to provide catastrophic health insurance.

The population of jumpers is 30-35K people. That is small potatoes to insurance companies. If you could get some company to underwrite such a policy, it would be based on the huge number of youngsters crashing in under perfectly good canopies. That means a high rate. I'd rather take my $$$ to the policies that add in the overweight, outta shape 40-something year olds to my premiums.

I would not rate insurance coverage as high as you do. I know of one jumper that denied his company's insurance because the insurance company wanted him to do things that did not promote his well-being and recovery. He ended up using the state's 'un-insured' laws to get well. I know of several people that had to surreptitiously cover-up work they were doing during a recovery healing time in order to keep getting claims processed. Several others end up over the maximum limits of their insurance and are in no better shape than un-insured jumpers.

kelpdiver  (B 7)

Jul 27, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1971 views)
Shortcut

It's amazing that this issue persists. I've followed it for a long while from the motorcycling scene as they have been one of the biggest players in the subject of "extreme risk" activities. They played a big role in getting legislation through that would not permit this sort of selective coverage, only to see the tule making phase result in definition the legislation in exact contradiction to the intent.

When you look at the costs imposed on us by those who choose to live sedentary lifestyles, it's hard to accept that injuries we suffer on the bike or in the sky should not be covered.

Bikers are likely the largest affected group, so keep an eye on what they're doing. (And make sure they don't sell us out like some did to get helmet laws removed)

WFFC  (D 24610)

Jul 27, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Judy

This was one of the things that the Clinton administration signed on their way out the door. It gave health insurers the ability to deny coverage due to source of injury. While it did not specifically state skydiving, it listed several sports as examples.

tspillers  (D 21601)

Jul 28, 2004, 9:19 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1951 views)
Shortcut

This unfortunately is a legal side issue. USPA needs to continue to lobby to change this legislation and not allow insurance companies to make such exclusions. It may need teaming up with other so called high risk sports and some that are not considered high risk, but have more claims (football, hunting, etc, could be looked at).

Todd

Paige

Aug 21, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nightingale] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I have blue cross health insurance, and my policy does NOT exclude skydiving injuries. I don't know about other companies or policies, though.

Anthem just paid for my broken hip. Love the blue cross blue shield Smile

Zenister  (A 42)

Sep 4, 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #15 of 16 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paige] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Anthem just paid for my broken hip. Love the blue cross blue shield Smile

and fixed my leg....Smile

it is offensive that the bulk of the money we pay in health care goes to things like heart disease and cancer than sports accidents and yet because the nature of our accidents is more sensational than a slow death by cholesterol 'extreme' sports can be denied coverage....

thecap  (A 43861)

Sep 8, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] Health insurance skydiving exclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If I was in your situation I would do the following:

I'm a graduate student. I am covered by my parents insurance until January 2005 and then will be on my own. The university Student Insurance includes the delightful "Exclusions and Limitations: The benefits of the Policy will not be paid for loss caused by or resulting from... 24. Skydiving, parachuting, hang gliding, glider flying, ..." There is an exception to the exclusion for students registered in a university flight course and using university owned aircraft. I've spoken to other jumpers and their best suggestion was "tell the doctor you fell from your roof." Any better ideas than trying to lobby to a large state university on behalf of a small hand-full of students without other coverage? I'm genuinely worried about what I'm going to do if I need medical aid as I don't have much cash. Spend it all on gear, jump tickets, food and rent.

Forums : Archive : 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)