Forums: Archive: 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections:
Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jumperconway  (D 24335)

Jul 19, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 33 (3543 views)
Shortcut
Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email Can't Post

I am only posting info so that the gulf region has a choice of candidates that truly deserve the write in vote;

1. Jim Jenkins,
Nationally competitive skydiver with TEXAS team "Deguello"8 way and 16 way (can't get that right mike?),for years and private pilot license, jet pilot license. Super nice guy!

2. Todd Spillers;
DZO Skydive Aggieland. Pilot, DZO, TM, rigger, AFFI. Super nice guy! (sweet wife to bost)

Both of these guys are deserving of serving our region to the 'enth !

They may both chime in with more qualifications than I know, but are both super quality candidates in my book with the desire to work for US!

Get out and VOTE!

ps; Don't sign a list unless you would vote for the candidate!

Quote below is from turroff'
-------------------------------------

I am pleasantly surprised that there are an increasing number of people desiring to get on the BOD, but I wonder why the decision is made so late as to eliminate the possibility of getting on the ballot. I know that the Gulf Region now has two potential write-in candidates; one is a person I call a friend (Todd Spillers) and one (Jim Jenkins) is a person who I have not had the pleasure of knowing because I don't travel in the same competitive circles as he does. However, it will just make the election more interesting.

Last time, a write-in candidate (Allen Flynn) came very close to the vote totals of the only person on the official ballot. I was not on the official ballot because I did not have enough valid signatures on my nomination petitions. That is still one of the detracting things in our election process (the 10% of the membership signature requirement), but those are the rules. We couldn't change them because we didn't have enough proxies to effect that change.

(This post was edited by jumperconway on Jul 19, 2004, 8:25 PM)

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 19, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 33 (3452 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by MikeTJumps [In reply to]

aliveboy2004  (D License)

Jul 26, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #3 of 33 (3347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like a tough choice to me........ Someone who has a lot of qualifications and has been working with USPA for years and someone on Deguello. Wow, how is a person going to be able to make up their mind and make the logical choice???????????

ramon  (D 26115)

Jul 26, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #4 of 33 (3318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aliveboy2004] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

Todd Spillers is a very well rounded candidate, has a vested interest in skydiving (DZO, instructor, examiner,rigger), and still fun jumps. I think he understands the modern skydving community and many of the current safety issues.

I pick him to represent the majority of the skydivers in the Gulf Coast and not just the interests of a minority or of an elitist faction.

clarification..."Mike Turhoff is qualified and at least participates in skydiving issues"Wink

Ramon

(This post was edited by ramon on Jul 26, 2004, 4:34 PM)

tspillers  (D 21601)

Jul 28, 2004, 9:32 AM
Post #5 of 33 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ramon] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Ramon, I appreciate the support. You have given me incentive to look and see how my jumps broke down this past year. Not sure how to classify some though. I did 40 or so jumps helping train people prior to rating courses (training or fun?).

I have had only 2 jumps that weren't fun. One of those had fun parts in it.

Todd

livendive  (D 21415)

Aug 2, 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #6 of 33 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jumperconway] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

reply]ps; Don't sign a list unless you would vote for the candidate!
Why not? The more petitions a person signs, the more people make the ballot, which might make those candidates campaign more so that people in the region actually hear where they stand on issues.

Unfortunately in your region there is only one candidate who turned in his letter of intent on time and thereby became eligible to make the ballot. For this reason, it seems your sole motive in discouraging people from signing petitions is to keep Turoff off the ballot. Right now, I don't know who I'd vote for in the Gulf region, but I damn sure wouldn't be trying to punish a candidate simply because he did what he was supposed to do when his opponents didn't. If the other two candidates had been similarly organized you'd have the potential for 3 candidates on the ballot and this wouldn't be an issue.

Blues,
Dave

jumperconway  (D 24335)

Aug 2, 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #7 of 33 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

If the other two candidates had been similarly organized you'd have the potential for 3 candidates on the ballot and this wouldn't be an issue.

The other 2 both believed that the incumbant, Don Ellisor was running again and didn't find out until it was too late.

kallend  (D 23151)

Aug 2, 2004, 1:32 PM
Post #8 of 33 (3220 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
If the other two candidates had been similarly organized you'd have the potential for 3 candidates on the ballot and this wouldn't be an issue.

The other 2 both believed that the incumbant, Don Ellisor was running again and didn't find out until it was too late.

Sounds like poor planning on someone's part.

I agree with Dave, the more candidates on the ballot the better (even if it means signing several petitions).

jumperconway  (D 24335)

Aug 2, 2004, 1:57 PM
Post #9 of 33 (3213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like poor planning on someone's part.

No, it sounds like they hadn't planned on running against Don Ellisor. On the other point I agree to disagree.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 2, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #10 of 33 (3203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tspillers] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

All of my jumps were fun! Just because most of them were with students doesn't make them not fun. Jumping with students brings a contagious feeling of wonderfulness upon me and the other instructors.

I know you feel the same way when your student walks in a foot above the ground mentally!

Mike

tspillers  (D 21601)

Aug 2, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #11 of 33 (3201 views)
Shortcut

I agree completely. That is why I said all but 2 of my jumps have been fun.

Kind of like, how would you classify a horny gorrilla? Belly.. not really....Freefly...don't think so... So I lump RW, Freefly, CRW, Birdman, Cross Country, and veroius others into the accepted 'fun' category.

My most recent and one of my most FUN jumps was at Spaceland recently. It was a tandem. 2 point 13-way wife my wife as my passenger.

Todd

livendive  (D 21415)

Aug 2, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #12 of 33 (3198 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

And that's Turoff's fault?

If you want Todd or Jim to get elected, campaign for them. Tell us what great guys they are and why you think they'd make good BOD members. Trying to keep Mike off the ballot is a bullshit tactic provided he meets the qualifications for being elected as RD. In this case, that means he cannot be a current employee of USPA (as opposed to a "contractor" to USPA) and he must have been a member in good standing for the past year, be at least 18 years old, and he must live within the Gulf region. I'm pretty sure that he meets those requirements, otherwise USPA would have rejected him when they received his letter of intent.

Blues,
Dave

tspillers  (D 21601)

Aug 2, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #13 of 33 (3195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure he is 18 Smile

I think he may have 18 years (or more) in the sport.

I think Mike is doing ok on signatures since I haven't heard from him about needed any more so he will most likely be on the ballot. That leaves anyone wanting to be elected the more difficult task of getting the word out and working harder to get elected. I believe that is the way an election and a write-in is suppose to be.

The sad part is that you could probably get elected with less votes than he needs (needed) to get on the ballot (10%) based on prior elections. People need to vote. I think most people reading these thread will. It bothers me the people that complain about how things are going and didn't even vote. People who take the time to read, post, and ask questions probably aren't in that group. That said, I will quit preaching to the choir.

Todd

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 2, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #14 of 33 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by MikeTJumps [In reply to]

tspillers  (D 21601)

Aug 2, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #15 of 33 (3183 views)
Shortcut

We are a small DZ so there aren't many members. I still haven't recieved your letter to post at the DZ.

Thanks, but I already have fliers at SDH and Spaceland.

Todd

Brains  (D License)

Aug 5, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #16 of 33 (3112 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
We are a small DZ so there aren't many members. I still haven't recieved your letter to post at the DZ.

Thanks, but I already have fliers at SDH and Spaceland.

Todd

Make sure you have a flier to give me when i am there and i will post it at SSM. Mr Turoff, you are welcome to send me one of yours also and I will post it on the board at SSM also. PM me for address.

Jeff Standley

ChuteUAFFI  (D 25200)

Aug 9, 2004, 6:21 AM
Post #17 of 33 (3079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ramon] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

DZO on the BOD. Not a good thing. Who is USPA for? DZO or members. Aint there a group member board?

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 9, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #18 of 33 (3057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChuteUAFFI] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

There are several DZOs on the BOD right now!

I don't think their job should concern you.

I think it is their receptiveness to input from the field that should merit your vote.

Mike Turoff

tspillers  (D 21601)

Aug 10, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #19 of 33 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Actually, I understand the concern. People are worried that a DZO may be looking out for their business rather the the jumpers. Of course, their business should be the jumpers.

It is a stereotype and a label. It is a stretch, but could be compared to other things I have heard. Such as, I don't want a competitor in there because they don't have the time and they don't represent fun jumpers. I don't agree with this either. People just see them when they are focused an training. You could also say, I don't want an Instructor in there, I don't want a freestylist in there, etc, etc.

I think it is more of an excuse not to actually look a the person and learn what they believe in.

koz2000  (D License)

Aug 12, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #20 of 33 (3013 views)
Shortcut

Trust me when I say this, but a few DZO/BOD members use their position to help their DZ.
For all thoes DZ not near military bases, (or thoes who are unaware of it) the military "requires" that a DZ be an USPA GM. If the DZ loses it's USPA status then the military "black lists" it and prohibits soldiers from going to that DZ.

airtwardo  (D License)

Aug 12, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #21 of 33 (3006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koz2000] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
a few DZO/BOD members use their position to help their DZ.

Quote:

Okay...so I'm a Martian.Unsure

How exactly do they do that?

I would imagine that the voting process
would tend to see that there are some
checks & balances in that regard...

Can a single BOD / DZO person implement some
kind of a policy that might benefit his dropzone
and NOT another?

Are there actual instances that this has happened?

koz2000  (D License)

Aug 13, 2004, 5:35 AM
Post #22 of 33 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

PM sent

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Aug 13, 2004, 6:41 AM
Post #23 of 33 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Your partially correct on the military black list. There are army regulations (I can not speak of Marine, Navy or Air Force regs) that dictate a Soldier must follow USPA BSR's and recomendations in certain situations. But it doesn't specifically ban a non-GM DZ that is left to the Post Commander.

Near our instalation we have a 50/50 split of GM and Non-GM DZ's none better than the other saftey wise just Aircraft type wise. But with the Post club closing due to budget and Deployment conciderations the non-GM DZ's may be with out the soldiers soon.

Matt
101st ABN DIV Instalation Freefall Safety Officer

koz2000  (D License)

Aug 13, 2004, 8:17 AM
Post #24 of 33 (2984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] Gulf Region Candidates Rd.2 Email [In reply to] Can't Post

Ft. Bragg's S&TA did blacklist us because we were not a USPA-GM for a short time. Even the activities club which is a separate USPA-GM was not allowed since the actual DZ was blacklisted.

But thanks for the regs. Just out of curiosity, what is the AR that covers freefall.

Thanks

tspillers  (D 21601)

Aug 13, 2004, 9:36 AM
Post #25 of 33 (2979 views)
Shortcut

I would not doubt you on this. My point is that it is a sterotype that should be looked past. Look at the individual rather than their job.

Acutally, a DZO should be easier to make a decision about. Look at how they run their DZ. Unless you are independetly wealthy and willing to spend your money just to keep a DZ going, then they must try to make some sort of profit. However, are they more focused on profit or making educated skydivers? Do they push the grey areas in the regulations at every chance or are the quick to keep everyone on the ground and educate why conditions are risky or illegal? Do they take the time out of their busy day of running the DZ to talk to and skydive with other jumpers? Most people don't have the luxury of seeing how an engineer, lawyer, doctor, carpenter, etc. run their business.

Basically, look at the individual, not their title. If their is a DZO on the board that somehow uses their position in a way you don't see fit....don't vote for them.

Many people have asked me if the DZ will benefit if I am elected. My answer is that if anything, it may hinder the DZ since I will be away at other DZ's and board meetings more.

my 1.5 cents.

Todd

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)