Forums: Archive: 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections:
Sites for Nationals

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 19, 2004, 9:33 AM
Post #1 of 55 (3149 views)
Shortcut
Sites for Nationals Can't Post

Do BOD members think it desirable for Nationals to move around the country to a greater extent than is happening right now?

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jul 19, 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #2 of 55 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets see.. in the last few years since I've been in the sport Nationals have been at:

Sebastian
Perris
Lake Wales
Chicago
Eloy

If you know a DZ that has the facilities, the location and the desire have them work with their RD or ND to submit a bid. Smile

Perris won the 2005 Nationals bid btw.

TheMonkey  (D License)

Jul 19, 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #3 of 55 (3094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

there are a handful of dropzones around the country that can handle an event this size...i know for a fact that other bids were put in from dz's that can (and have) handled it in the past.

of course i am not privy to all the discussions or particulars, but imo Nationals should not be held same place 2 years in a row....

jlmiracle  (D License)

Jul 19, 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #4 of 55 (3087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheMonkey] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
of course i am not privy to all the discussions or particulars, but imo Nationals should not be held same place 2 years in a row....

I agree, although Perris is a great place to hold National's they probably shouldn't have won it again for 2005. I would have liked to see it go back to Lake Wales or even Skydive Chicago. It should be on the west side of the country 1 year and the east side the next.

Judy

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 19, 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #5 of 55 (3077 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Lets see.. in the last few years since I've been in the sport Nationals have been at:

Sebastian
Perris
Lake Wales
Chicago
Eloy

If you know a DZ that has the facilities, the location and the desire have them work with their RD or ND to submit a bid. Smile

Perris won the 2005 Nationals bid btw.

Perris 3 times in 6 years. You don't think that's a bit much?

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 19, 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #6 of 55 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats why it is called a "bid". Everyone submits their bid and the best bid wins. If Perris "won" 2 years in a row, could it be that they had the best "bid" 2 years in a row. Would you suggest that they do away with the "bid" process and pick a location on a favoritisim?
Sparky

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 19, 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #7 of 55 (3067 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Perris 3 times in 6 years. You don't think that's a bit much?

How would you propose they change that? If Perris has the best bid why would you want to change it? Are you suggesting that Perris did not have the best bid? Or are you just complaining again?
Sparky

Jul 19, 2004, 1:01 PM
Post #8 of 55 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know if there is a way to see what the bids actually were?

I'm curious to see what made the Perris bid so much more attractive then the other bids. Was it something like cheaper jump tickets? Better pay for the judges? Better offers of purchasing advertising in Parachutist for Nationals?

jlmiracle  (D License)

Jul 19, 2004, 1:11 PM
Post #9 of 55 (3055 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Thats why it is called a "bid". Everyone submits their bid and the best bid wins. If Perris "won" 2 years in a row, could it be that they had the best "bid" 2 years in a row. Would you suggest that they do away with the "bid" process and pick a location on a favoritisim?
Sparky

No, not favortisim, but location and facilities. It should alternate from one side of the country to the next, for the jumpers, or pick some place in the middle. I've been to a board meeting and know how it all works. It was just a suggestion to the soon to be BOD.

Judy

Judy

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 19, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #10 of 55 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Yes, you can see the bids. Just ask your Regional Director to show it to you. I brought one home with me to show a local DZO what he needs to do paperwise to hope to compete.

Mike Turoff

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 19, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #11 of 55 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlmiracle] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
No, not favortisim, but location and facilities. It should alternate from one side of the country to the next, for the jumpers, or pick some place in the middle. I've been to a board meeting and know how it all works. It was just a suggestion to the soon to be BOD

Why should it alternate back an forth and not go to the best bid? This is not a flame, I am interested in why you would do it this way.
Sparky

AggieDave  (D License)

Jul 19, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #12 of 55 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Why should it alternate back an forth and not go to the best bid?

They could just put it back in Oklahoma so it would be in the middle...

Bids are nice, but it would be nice if the BOD listened to jumper input about the location to add a little weight.

For example if DZ X and DZ Y are close in the bid, and DZ X and DZ Y had hosted it before, then if jumpers prefered DZ X, I think that should have some weight to it.

For instance, talking to the collegate jumpers, they seemingly ALL prefered Eloy over Lake Wales, but no one seemed to care. Then again, it doesn't seem like anyone really cares about the collegate jumpers and collegate nationals except the broke-ass college students going, so that's nothing new...however, that's a whole 'nuther discussion entirely.

nightjumps  (D 23385)

Jul 19, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #13 of 55 (3007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
They could just put it back in Oklahoma so it would be in the middle...

That's not going to happen. We don't have the A/C nor facilities to support the Nationals any longer.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 19, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #14 of 55 (3005 views)
Shortcut

You state it would be nice if the BOD would listen to jumper input in regards to bids. Well Dave, I hate to tell you this but as one of only four members of the gallery other than the bidders and staffers, there was no input other than from us in the gallery.

Now, as you post so much, let's see you come to a BOD meeting and be part of the gallery and take an active role in BOD meetings like I do as a general member.

Did you give Madolyn Murdock or Don Ellisor your input into this matter? Only four bids were received by the BOD in regards to the Nationals.

I'm going to make sure that Spaceland gets a copy of an example of a bid so that they have a chance.

Step up to the plate, Dave, and be part of the solution!

Mike Turoff

(This post was edited by MikeTJumps on Jul 19, 2004, 6:37 PM)

Premier quade  (D 22635)
Jul 19, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #15 of 55 (2999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Did you give Madolyn Murdock or Don Ellisor your input into this matter?

I would think that Don would already have a pretty good idea what is important from the competitor's view point. Wink

AggieDave  (D License)

Jul 19, 2004, 6:42 PM
Post #16 of 55 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
let's see you come to a BOD meeting and be part of the gallery and take an active role in BOD meetings like I do as a general member.

That would be grand Mike, as you try to belittle my opinion here, since there is no way in hell I could afford to go. Remember, I'm still in school and skydiving to pay for the bills. It takes some balls to belittle someone voicing their opinion in one of the only ways they can, serious balls. I hope that if you're actually elected you don't take that attitude with the rest of the jumpers in the Gulf region, that would be a complete tragedy!

Quote:
Did you give Madolyn Murdock or Don Ellisor your input into this matter?

I talked to Madolyn for quite a long time about it, actually. While at collegates 2 years ago, with the Texas A&M University Skydiving club. Its an absolute sacrifice for the non-academy students to work hard to compete and fundraise and pay to go to collegates, I hope that my opinions didn't fall on deaf ears (knowing Madolyn's past experiences with the Aggie jumpers, I'm more then sure it didn't fall on deaf ears).

Quote:
Step up to the plate, Dave and be part of the solution!

Once again, why are you trying to belittle me? Is it because I've only been jumping 4 years and only have about 1200 jumps and only a Coach and Tandem rating? Or is it because I've taken an active role to voice my opinion here and in person to the people that matter, since there is no way at this point in my life I can afford to take an in person active role in the BOD due to finaces.

You'll then say "how could you afford to go to a boogie this past weekend?" Well, Steve Boyd and the rest of the Spaceland staff was kind enough to let me work as a TM on Saturday to pay for my way there!

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Jul 19, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #17 of 55 (2988 views)
Shortcut

You are mistaking "belittling" for "challenging you to step up to the plate and be heard."

All I see from you right now is an angry person. I don't even remember meeting you but I think you remarked about an I/E screaming at students. I don't believe that I was that person. I know Terry Goode screamed at students routinely. He is no longer part of the SDH operation.

I know full well that you are an avid supporter of Todd. I am too. I want to be elected, but if Todd is elected, he will have my support. Can you say the same for me?

How about opening up your AOL AIM and chatting directly for a change? You keep it logged on for hours but are in a constant "away" status.

Mike

AggieDave  (D License)

Jul 19, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #18 of 55 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
You are mistaking "belittling" for "challenging you to step up to the plate and be heard."

The point is, I can't afford (apparently like yourself) to go to the meetings in person, so I voice my opinion in places that are seen by the BOD, such as DZ.com (for some BOD members) and in person/via e-mail to my RD. I also chat with my S&TA about concerns who is basically the direct link for me the "average jumper" to the BOD.

Quote:
I don't even remember meeting you but I think you remarked about an I/E screaming at students. I don't believe that I was that person. I know Terry Goode screamed at students routinely.

We've met, I've watched you instruct as well.

Is that a guilty concious, since I didn't name names, I will not name names here and I will only speak of what I've seen.

Quote:
I know full well that you are an avid supporter of Todd.

There's a reason, not because he's my DZO. You know, I could have driven a very short distance and jumped a turbine for the past couple of years and I didn't. There's a reason why people who care support who they support.

Quote:
Can you say the same for me?

Honestly? No.

If you are actually elected I will voice my opinions to you since you will be my direct link to the BOD; however, I do not believe at all that you are the proper person for the job. Actually, in my opinion, jumpers like yourself are part of the problem. Not adjusting and changing with the sport, with current instructional techniques, with the current problems and what the majority of jumpers want to see done and changed with the USPA.

I will say that you have done a lot in this sport and are incredibly knowledgable, that is the truth; however, I think that you have lost touch with the sport and continued in your own ways without keep check of yourself and the new jumpers.

Quote:
You keep it logged on for hours but are in a constant "away" status.

Well, I have a broadband connection, its always on. If you're on when I see the IM, I'll respond (if I'm here).

obsequious  (B License)

Jul 20, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #19 of 55 (2949 views)
Shortcut

On the contrary, Mike Turoff's demeanor is very congenial and urban. He was impelling and encouraging you to become a more active member in USPA as you seem to hold strong opinions. His strong urging was not vexatious but enjoining in tone. Mike has always shown the utmost respect to people and is very open to discussions whereby others have a contrary opinions. Smile

obsequious  (B License)

Jul 20, 2004, 3:02 AM
Post #20 of 55 (2947 views)
Shortcut

In this thread, it is my view that you are being antagonistic, Dave. You're opinion's are your own, however, your erroneous and dubious charges show you to be restive and oppugnant in nature.

Unsure

AggieDave  (D License)

Jul 20, 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #21 of 55 (2926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [obsequious] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
it is my view that you are being antagonistic, Dave. You're opinion's are your own, however, your erroneous and dubious charges show you to be restive and oppugnant in nature.

Thanks for your reply, I don't agree with you at all and I believe you're wrong.

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 20, 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #22 of 55 (2903 views)
Shortcut
Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting back to the point, do any BOD candidates think that geographical diversity should be one of the criteria in selecting Nationals sites?

diablopilot  (D License)

Jul 20, 2004, 7:49 AM
Post #23 of 55 (2900 views)
Shortcut

How about you define why it should be?

Jul 20, 2004, 8:00 AM
Post #24 of 55 (2895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

Travel costs for members. Large amounts of members have to travel, but for some they get to stay home. Why is it fair to have one group pay to travel while letting the other group save hundreds of not thousands of dollars every year on travel expences?

Look at where the largest groups of jumpers are that compete in the Nationals, if they have to travel across the country while a smaller group gets to stay at home in their own bed at night for free, is that in the members best interest? By spreading the costs around from year to year it is helping all members.

kallend  (D 23151)

Jul 20, 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #25 of 55 (2867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Sites for Nationals [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
How about you define why it should be?

Same reason that the Cubs don't get to play every game at home.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)