Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Cameras to monitor incidents?

WrongWay  (D 27371)

Jul 9, 2004, 7:00 AM
Post #1 of 19 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Cameras to monitor incidents? Can't Post

First off, I hope this is in the right forum. (I was thinking "safety") If not, feel free to move it to Gen. Skydiving.

Okay, now I realize this would cost and arm and a leg, but putting that aside, would it be a good idea to mount a few cameras facing upward around the landing area to record any activity in the pattern? No I'm not saying mount them in the middle of the LA, but perhaps one on a loft, one on a hangar, one on the side of the runway, etc......

Here's my reasoning behind this. If the landing area was monitored by video, then any incidents (or any "we need to talk about what just happened" moments) would be on video no matter what and could be analyzed better because of it.

Is it a good or bad idea?

pilotdave  (D License)

Jul 9, 2004, 7:29 AM
Post #2 of 19 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WrongWay] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'd need waaaay too many cameras to catch all the possible action. And you'd probably need multiple camera angles of any area to really understand what happened. I mean to see any detail you'd need to be zoomed way in. But to cover the sky you'd want wide angle lenses. Just doesn't seam feasible to me.

Dave

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jul 9, 2004, 8:14 AM
Post #3 of 19 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilotdave] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

Prohibitively expensive and it would produce thousands of hours of useless video.
On the other hand - if you owned a DZ in California - the system just might pay for itself during the first lawsuit.

"Do you know how to save a drowning lawyer?'
"No"
"Good!"

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jul 9, 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #4 of 19 (1088 views)
Shortcut

> I think you'd need waaaay too many cameras to catch all the possible action.

Or a smaller number of HDTV cameras (which now exist) or smart cameras. Would be expensive though.

bsoder  (B 27004)

Jul 9, 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #5 of 19 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

How about a camera on a smart base of some sort... put a transmitter on the jumper, and the base turns on the camera and tracks the transmitter once it's in range. There has to be something like that around...

Jul 9, 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #6 of 19 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bsoder] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

> How about a camera on a smart base of some sort. . . .put a transmitter on the jumper,

Right. Swoopers are really going to wear a transmitter so someone can yell at them after they botch a landing.

If you wanted to do it, there is software available (designed for videoconferencing) that will just track anything large that moves.

bsoder  (B 27004)

Jul 9, 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #7 of 19 (1074 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
> How about a camera on a smart base of some sort. . . .put a transmitter on the jumper,

Right. Swoopers are really going to wear a transmitter so someone can yell at them after they botch a landing.

Good point, but I was actually thinking more along the lines of videoing student landings for canopy control/flaring/etc. debriefing. That would have been helpful to me, to be able to see what I was doing, as opposed to just being told.

Good for vanity, too... Wink

pilotdave  (D License)

Jul 9, 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #8 of 19 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bsoder] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a thought... wouldn't it be a little easier and cheaper to umm... just use a regular handheld camera for that? Smile

Dave

WrongWay  (D 27371)

Jul 9, 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #9 of 19 (1053 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

If you wanted to do it, there is software available (designed for videoconferencing) that will just track anything large that moves.

Put a transmitter on problem jumpers. CoolLaugh

"Here, wear this in your jumpsuit, it once belonged to a great freeflyer and will bring you luck" Laugh

(This post was edited by WrongWay on Jul 9, 2004, 12:15 PM)

piisfish

Jul 9, 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #10 of 19 (1046 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Just a thought... wouldn't it be a little easier and cheaper to umm... just use a regular handheld camera for that? Smile

Dave
or ban RW'ers... All freeflyers fly with their cameras... Tongue

happythoughts  (D License)

Jul 9, 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #11 of 19 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

We always get video. Usually the person says, "Here hold my camcorder, my landing is going to realllllly cool."

bsoder  (B 27004)

Jul 9, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #12 of 19 (1036 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Stop that. We're talking about technology for its own sake here. I bet you still use Windows 95! Wink

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Jul 9, 2004, 4:24 PM
Post #13 of 19 (994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WrongWay] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of live video feeds over the internet. That way it is advertising, and people that live far away from the DZ can see what the weather looks like before they leave, or watch via computer if they cannot come that weekend!

Jul 9, 2004, 4:46 PM
Post #14 of 19 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cvfd1399] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

> I like the idea of live video feeds over the internet.

Perris has that now.

VectorBoy  (F 321)

Jul 9, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #15 of 19 (957 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Perris has that now.

More like had, It became the swoop cam or as Jack described it the crash into the thingy on top of the object cam.

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Jul 10, 2004, 6:34 AM
Post #16 of 19 (917 views)
Shortcut

Cool is it on their site, or is there a special link to go to. I am off to search for it. Thanks

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Jul 10, 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #17 of 19 (903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VectorBoy] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

The tunnel cam is up, if your at Perris FIX the other camera! Smile

ltdiver  (D 20506)

Jul 11, 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #18 of 19 (867 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Perris has that now.

Unfortunately the video feed doesn't work on Macs. Mad I've been in touch with the webmaster and he doesn't know how to fix this. quade doesen't either. Nor Murrays. Unsure We all have the latest version of WMP installed.

ltdiver

cvfd1399  (B 27544)

Jul 11, 2004, 9:35 AM
Post #19 of 19 (845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ltdiver] Cameras to monitor incidents? [In reply to] Can't Post

The tunnel cam is cool, although a little dark I am thankful for having it at allSmile. The Landing/loading cam is down still thoUnsure.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)