Forums: Archive: 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections:
A few thougths from a BOD Member

larryskydives

Jun 30, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1326 views)
Shortcut
A few thougths from a BOD Member Can't Post

I don't post very often but I do observe and I do listen to members with comments. Below are few of my thoughts:

1 - Quit your bitching and moaning and become involved!

2 - In the two terms I have been on the BOD, we have tried to get the proxies to change some of the problems you complain about. It takes 10% of the membership to make the changes. We can't get 3,500 proxies. In my region, we have approximately 1300 members, to run for Regional Director you must have a petition with 10% of that region's mambers. For example 130 signatures - however during the election, vote totals may be as low as 100. One of the changes we wanted to make was to do away with the petition requirement. Since it is in the Constitution and By Laws, we couldn't change it because we did not have sufficent proxies.

3 - Term Limits - This is my second term and last term. Time to pass it on to new blood.

4 - Length of Term - We wanted to extend the term length to three years. As it stands now, a director spends the first year figuring out how it operates, and the second year is an election year. Three year terms would allow the directors to better perform their duties. But this could not be changed without the proxies.

5 - We get no compensation for being on the BOD. And I have not had conversations with anyone saying that they wanted compensation. For the past 4 years, I have driven and flown to various drop zones at my own expense. (Avgas is now running close to 3.00 a gallon). I knew this when I first ran for the position and I do it willingly. Not to mention the addition of a dedicated phone line I had put in to be able to receive faxes. The cost of phone calls I have to make periodically, or postage. Not to mention the cost to develop film to send pictures into Parachutist. If I had to do it over, I would do it over, and I have no regrets.

6 - BSR for wingloading - Get a life!! It is not the wing loading, it is the hook turns and low altitude maneverers (sp). At this point the fatality count this year is very low, but all of the fatalities are from low turns and low atltitude manevers(sp) We are self policing - SPEAK UP!!

7 - Multiple S&TA's - S&TA's are appointed by the regional directors. I have some drop zones with one S&TA and I have some drop zones with more than one S&TA. If you feel a drop zone needs more S&TA's or needs less S&TA's - Call your Regional Director. If you don't the response you want - Run for that position!! Get off your ass.

8 - Jump Plane Operations - The pilots must meet the requirements set forth by the FAA for their pilot certificates. Jump aircraft must have 100 hr. inspections and/or annual inspections to meet airworthiness requirements. At the same time if you have a bad feeling about a plane or pilot. You do not have to get on that plane! I strongly encourage every jumper to know the plane they are getting on. If your not that familiar with aircraft other than getting in one and jumping out - go take a couple of flying lessons. It is just like our skydiving gear - KNOW YOUR GEAR. How many current jumpers don't know how the three rings work, how to inspect and replace a closing loop - for that fact how many don't know how to pack. Oh they learned enough to pack a student rig and get their license, but then they got their personal gear and pay a packer. If the DZ doesn't have a packer they can't go jump.

9 - Group Member DZ - This is something I go back and forth on. I can't tell you that we need the program or not, I see valid Pro's and Con's concerning the GM Program. What I do know is that the DZ's are independent businesses. We cannot dictate to them how to operate their businesses. Our GM Pledge is weak. Mike Mullin's - and I supported it - tried to get a Code of Ethics established to give the GM Pledge more bite. It did get to a vote, but was defeated. If you see a DZ with policies that you don't agree with. You do not have to jump there. Make your statement by not giving them your money. Tell others and take them with you to another DZ, or talk to the DZO about changing their policies.

10 - Just because your a USPA Member doesn't mean any DZ (GM or Ind) has to let you jump. It is their business and if they don't want to let you jump, they probably have a reason. (Now there is one DZ in the West that won't let you jump unless they train you. I don't agree with that, but at the same time they are not going to get my money. I'll go somewhere else.) Early in my jumping, I was banned from a DZ. I went to another DZ and met some very good people. I am still jumping but that dz operator isn't jumping anymore that I know of.

I have enjoyed my time as Southern Region Director. There are things I wish I had more control over. You have just as much opportunity to be a part of the system as I have had. If you don't want to be a part of the system, than at least get involved. Vote for people you know, support someone who wants to do the job and do it right. Don't wait for someone else to speak up. If you see something that doesn't look right. Say something - You might save a friend. Or the old saying, "The life you save might be your own".

To those that supported me in the elections - Thank you!! To those that didn't support me in the elections - I hope that although you did not support me, I represented you in a manner you approved of.

Sincerely,
Larry Stapleton
Southern Region Director

AggieDave  (D License)

Jun 30, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larryskydives] A few thougths from a BOD Member [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

What do you think we're trying to do. DZ.com is the best sounding board for what we as jumpers what OUR uspa to be.

Quote:
2 - In the two terms I have been on the BOD, we have tried to get the proxies to change some of the problems you complain about

Maybe if the BOD and all the directors actually did a good job of explaining what they are for, exactly what power it gives the BOD, etc to the jumpers, then more would vote. It wasn't until this past proxie that someone actually explained to me what it was. Who was it that explained it to me? A radom jumper (I think it was either Quade or BillVon) here on DZ.com. Where the USPA using all the tools available to get the word out. Sure, we as jumpers should have called up our regional directors, in the real world is that going to happen? Nope. So the USPA should use tools such as DZ.com to get the word out, then maybe folks will get up and sign it to get change in the works.

Quote:
6 - BSR for wingloading - Get a life!! It is not the wing loading, it is the hook turns and low altitude maneverers (sp). At this point the fatality count this year is very low, but all of the fatalities are from low turns and low atltitude manevers(sp) We are self policing - SPEAK UP!!

Ok, you have got to be kidding me!

So what you're saying is that its those "crazy swoopers" who are dying at an alarming rate, not the folks trying to be like the swoopers, getting under canopies at wingloadings they have no business being under at their skill level and flying that much higher performance canopy into the ground?

What canopy and wingloading do you jump, have you ever jumped a high performance canopy at a high wingloading (somewhere in the 2.0:1 range)? Do you think that the average jumper with 700 jumps should be under something like that?

Sure, self policing, its worked great so far. Unsure

Quote:
talk to the DZO about changing their policies.

At a problem DZ do you actually see a DZO listening to a jumper about that? Now how about a jumper with only a year in the sport and 200 jumps?

There's a reason why the GM program was created, just like there's a reason why the BSRs were created. If the USPA won't enforce its own rules on its own GM DZs then whats the point?

Take the fatility in N. Texas last year for example. If the USPA GM program actually did what it was supposed to do and the DZs were inspected, then the non-rated jumper acting as instructor may have been caught. That student jumper may have not died. Good job USPA.Unsure

Quote:
It is their business and if they don't want to let you jump, they probably have a reason.

Whats the point of being a USPA GM DZ if USPA members can't jump there? Sure, you talked about being banned as a newbie jumper, but I'm sure there was a reason for it at that specific DZ. If I show up to a USPA DZ that doesn't allow outside jumpers, even if they're USPA members, to jump, but they have no safety reason to let me jump, then why is there the USPA in the first place? That's like being a US citizen but not being allowed in Oklahoma since you're not from there originally.

If a DZ doesn't want other jumpers to jump there, then they should not be allowed into the USPA GM program, end of story.

Since the USPA administration is more concerned with making money then it is about safety and protecting jumper's "rights," I don't see this being changed without a change in the BOD.

It seems you've taken the "it aint broke" head in the sand approach to some serious problems with the status quo, we need new blood in the BOD!

How am I working to see these things changed? I'm telling you right now, I've said similar things to other regional directors and BOD members, I try to help raise awareness with other jumpers at my DZ and here on DZ.com. You may call it whining, but I see it as a grass roots effort to try to save the USPA from its self!

(This post was edited by AggieDave on Jun 30, 2004, 10:28 PM)

Ron

Jul 1, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1226 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

We try and get involved...you ignore us...

I have taken to the board 2 different ideas, both with TONS of support and been ignored..One told to go away.

The USPA is about self promotion of the most of the board members egos.

In reply to:
2 - In the two terms I have been on the BOD, we have tried to get the proxies to change some of the problems you complain about. It takes 10% of the membership to make the changes. We can't get 3,500 proxies. In my region, we have approximately 1300 members, to run for Regional Director you must have a petition with 10% of that region's mambers. For example 130 signatures - however during the election, vote totals may be as low as 100. One of the changes we wanted to make was to do away with the petition requirement. Since it is in the Constitution and By Laws, we couldn't change it because we did not have sufficent proxies.

The proxies gave you to much power...power I might add that you have abused and NOT done what the memberships wants...Player coach comes to mind.

In reply to:

Self regulation sure is working well huh? This issue is just like low pulss 20 years ago...The USPA back then had a spine and did something about it...Now its a worthless organization more concerned with supporting DZO's than jumpers. If it was not for the NEED to be a member to jump at most DZ's and the Nationals...Most would not be members...And your own poll said just that.

In reply to:
9 - Group Member DZ - This is something I go back and forth on. I can't tell you that we need the program or not, I see valid Pro's and Con's concerning the GM Program. What I do know is that the DZ's are independent businesses. We cannot dictate to them how to operate their businesses. Our GM Pledge is weak. Mike Mullin's - and I supported it - tried to get a Code of Ethics established to give the GM Pledge more bite. It did get to a vote, but was defeated. If you see a DZ with policies that you don't agree with. You do not have to jump there. Make your statement by not giving them your money. Tell others and take them with you to another DZ, or talk to the DZO about changing their policies.

A waste of MEMBERS money....If the DZO's want a cool club..start one. The GM program is BS all the way.

In reply to:
10 - Just because your a USPA Member doesn't mean any DZ (GM or Ind) has to let you jump. It is their business and if they don't want to let you jump, they probably have a reason. (Now there is one DZ in the West that won't let you jump unless they train you. I don't agree with that, but at the same time they are not going to get my money. I'll go somewhere else.) Early in my jumping, I was banned from a DZ. I went to another DZ and met some very good people. I am still jumping but that dz operator isn't jumping anymore that I know of.

And I think we are bitching about that ONE DZ...If he has no reason to not let you jump other than he didn't train you...Then he is not acting like GM DZ...He should be removed.

livendive  (D 21415)

Jul 1, 2004, 8:28 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron] A few thougths from a BOD Member [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
And I think we are bitching about that ONE DZ...If he has no reason to not let you jump other than he didn't train you...Then he is not acting like GM DZ...He should be removed.

Well some might argue that by imposition of this rule he is simply exaggerating the GM DZ mentality, i.e. it being all about the money.

Blues,
Dave

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 1, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1105 views)
Shortcut

I believe the BOD and the membership of USPA will be better off with your decision not to run. It is never a good idea to be represented by someone who holds such a low opinion of his constituency.

(This post was edited by mjosparky on Jul 4, 2004, 8:30 AM)

JYorkster  (D 23658)

Jul 6, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #6 of 7 (990 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

WHAT HE SAID!!

I hear a lot of complaining and not a lot of volunteering to serve. You may not agree with everything he beliives, but at least he was willing to run for the BOD.

I've never met you Larry, but I am thankful that there are a few left who at least try to do something to make a change instead of just stand back and cheer or heckle those who do.

For the rest of us, if we feel that strongly about a particular topic, we should throw our own hat in the ring.

Just my 2 cents....
Rock

ChuteUAFFI  (D 25200)

Aug 9, 2004, 6:49 AM
Post #7 of 7 (870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] A few thougths from a BOD Member [In reply to] Can't Post

at least he is talking. You could have a regional directer who does nothing to raise waves. Dont deal with problems and people breaking a faa rule.

Forums : Archive : 2005-2006 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)