Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Pro Track in a Pro Teck

Greg  (A -37958)

Apr 16, 2001, 11:29 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Pro Track in a Pro Teck Can't Post

Hello all,

I just picked up a brand new Pro Track (its really cool and gives great information about the jumps, avg/max speed, exit altitude, deployment altitude, etc.) and makes filling in my log book alot easier. I am however still using my Pro Teck helmet. I love my Pro Teck, but unfortunatly, the way I mounted my Pro Track (on the inside), I can not hear the alarms until I am under canopy.Mad I really do not want to mount my Pro Track on the outside of my Pro Teck, that would be like scotch taping my paycheck to the outside of my helmet. Has anyone else encountered this, or have any suggestions on mounting the Pro Track to a Pro Teck and hearing the alarms?

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Blue ones!!
Greg A-37958

Zennie

Apr 16, 2001, 11:51 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1876 views)
Shortcut
Re: Pro Track in a Pro Teck [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep. I mounted my ProTrack inside my ProTec and had the exact same problem as you.

The answer? Duct tape. Lots of it. Duct tape all the vent holes and make sure your helmet fits snugly. I'm able to hear my alarms just fine now.

Plus it makes the ProTec look "mean". Wink

------------
Blue Skies!

Zennie

Greg  (A -37958)

Apr 16, 2001, 12:14 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Hey, Thanks Zennie!!! Smile, this is prolly a stupid question, but did you tape up both sides or just the side with the Pro Track?

Side note, I liked the way the monuting plate fit nice and snug in the "ear hole" in the foam liner without the cable ties, but I certainly dont want to rely solely on "snugness" to hold the thing in, especially when I have to take my helmet off in the plane before jump run to put my goggles on.

Anyway, thanks, and now to see what I can "pilfer" from the electrical fab shop downstairs!!

Blue ones!!!
Greg A-37958

Zennie

Apr 16, 2001, 12:30 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1872 views)
Shortcut

I just taped up the outside. Held up just fine.

As far as mounting goes, I mounted the bracket inside the ear holes like you. Used tie-downs to secure it (lock on the outside). My ear holes weren't quite big enough so I cut out the excess foam with a razor blade.

I would really recommend securing the mounting bracket. I've found my helmet "opens up" a little in freefall. Don't want that thing falling out! Shocked

------------
Blue Skies!

Zennie

Zennie

Apr 16, 2001, 12:33 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1872 views)
Shortcut

Misunderstood you "both sides" question.

Yes. I taped up all the holes. Both sides of the helmet as well as the back and top. Just did it on the outside, not the inside.

------------
Blue Skies!

Zennie

Krishan  (D 26361)

Apr 16, 2001, 12:52 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1869 views)
Shortcut

I have a pro-dytter that I used with my protec. For a while it worked fine mounted to the outside. Then I decided I wanted it a little more protected so I just put it by itself (not in the mounting clip) in side the ear with the back (speaker) facing my ear and I have had no problems hearing it at all. It makes a huge difference if you have it facing the wrong way.

Greg  (A -37958)

Apr 16, 2001, 1:04 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Cool!! Thanks again. Boy your Pro Tec (and soon mine too) must look pretty cool with all of the tapeLaugh. I really dont care too much what my helmet looks like, so long as I hear the alarms!!

I had actually, for a quick second, thought about blowing off the alarms and just mounting it to my leg, like they talk about in the manual, but Im glad I wont have to!!

Greg A-37958

Greg  (A -37958)

Apr 16, 2001, 1:08 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1862 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I wanted it a little more protected so I just put it by itself (not in the mounting clip) in side the ear
with the back (speaker) facing my ear and I have had no problems hearing it at all.
Did you have any problems with it (your pro dytter) falling out?

(That question could be mis interpereted so easily!!Shocked)

Greg A-37958

Krishan  (D 26361)

Apr 16, 2001, 3:34 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1839 views)
Shortcut

In Freefall?? Not at all. And when the helmet was not on, I was just careful that it didnt fall out. Just had to keep an eye on it while moving around, no biggie though.

Craig

Apr 16, 2001, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1833 views)
Shortcut

Greg, check your e-mail. I attached a couple .jpg's to show how I mounted mine.

Craig

Greg  (A -37958)

Apr 17, 2001, 9:54 AM
Post #11 of 15 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Hello Craig,

I got the e-mail, and thanks a bunch!! That is very clean!! Laugh I will be getting that set up going tonight, and will test it this weekend. Zennie, if you are interested, you should check this out, I can forward Craigs e-mail to you if you like. And by the way Craig, you ROCK!!

Blue ones!!
Greg A-37958

Zennie

Apr 17, 2001, 11:03 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1791 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I can forward Craigs e-mail to you if you like
Please do. I'd like to see it.

------------
Blue Skies!

Zennie

Krishan  (D 26361)

Apr 17, 2001, 11:22 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Me too. I'd love to see how he done it.

Craig

Apr 17, 2001, 2:49 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1780 views)
Shortcut

If anyone else wants a copy I can send it to you. Just e-mail me at my address in my profile.

Craig

Greg  (A -37958)

Apr 18, 2001, 8:41 AM
Post #15 of 15 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Hey Craig, hooked it up last night. It was easy, and clean, and makes perfect sense. Thanks again!!

Greg A-37958

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)