Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
30 jumps in one day

ZoneRat  (D 26968)

Jun 29, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1188 views)
Shortcut
30 jumps in one day Can't Post

I have a friend who wants to do 30 hop n' pops for his 30th b-day. I'm ground crewin' for him.

Anyone have any helpful hints on making this thing go smoothly?

He wants it pretty bad. I'd like to see him get it.

I'd appreciate any advice/ thoughts yall might have.

Thanks!

Chrisky

Jun 29, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZoneRat] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

Get two packers and three rigs (two rentals)...

FemaleFlyer  (D 25456)

Jun 29, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1173 views)
Shortcut

I recommend talking to the DZ before hand and making arrangements to get the info out there to get other skydivers involved. The plane isn't going to fly with only one person in it. He may have to start really early with a Cessna or something like that. I say it it so doable. Go for it, let us know how it turns out.

fergs  (F 383)

Jun 29, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1144 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I have a friend who wants to do 30 hop n' pops for his 30th b-day. I'm ground crewin' for him.

Anyone have any helpful hints on making this thing go smoothly?

He wants it pretty bad. I'd like to see him get it.

I'd appreciate any advice/ thoughts yall might have.

Thanks!

I did 20 on the 20h anniversary of my first jump (that was 10 years ago).

It was easy and i would have had time for 40 - and all were without a packer to help, I self packed all myself.

Basically I had 3 rigs and a Cessna 206 which I hired for my own use at the DZ on an Aircraft-Time basis.

I'd lay 2 rigs next to the runway, half way down. I'd take off with the 3 rd rig, exit at 2000', race the cessna down, land next to the 2 rigs, throw the used rig off, pick up the next one, the cessna would taxi by me as I cinched up straps, take off, and prepeat.

Then every 3 jumps would be 3 pack jobs, a coke, a sandwich, back to put 2 rigs next to the runway, etc.

It was all too eary. So much so that I'll do 40 on the 40th anniversary.

Good Luck!!

fergsWink

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jun 30, 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fergs] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

Offer to "jump master" your buddy. Better yet, two or three of you take turns jumping with him. Hand him a drink or sandwich or piece of fruit on every load. Glance over his gear while climbing and spot for him. This practice may seem silly early in the day, but will save his life when he starts making silly mistakes late in the day.

nightjumps  (D 23385)

Jun 30, 2004, 6:32 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1042 views)
Shortcut

I was the organizer for setting new Oklahoma Records for most skydives in 12 hours out of a C-182 for a couple of years; 64 the first year and 104 last year.

Some suggestions:

1. Standardized Rigs (same main, reserve, container).
2. Standardized packing methodology (we had a class prior to the event)
3. Cypres equipped.
4. Suggested exit altitude - >/=4,000'
5.No less than two gear checks - one by a dedicated person other than a packer after the packing is completed and one on the person prior to boarding.
6. Pin Check prior to exit.
7. Dedicated landing area - everyone else lands elsewhere.
8. Lots of fluids the day before (prehydration) and lots of fluids during the event.
9. The jumper should stay away from caffeine-enhanced drinks during the event.
10. Safety briefing for all involved prior to the event.
11. Dedicated areas of responsbility - Senior Packer, Rigger, JMPI, radios, etc.
12. Dedicated medical personnel to "view" everyone to ensure for proper hydration.
13. After about 15 jumps, the jumper will become tired - encourage taking the PLF rather than forcing the landing when needed.
14. No alcohol the day before - for anyone involved.
15. All stop every fifty minutes for a minimum ten minute break.

ref: Number 1. If standardized rigs are not an option, then what we did was place "like" systems in order. All Javelins, then all Dolphins, etc. When the system was changed, I had the jumper practice two EP's in front of me and suggested multiple on the ride up.

Those were just some of my rules - Take what you want from it. Hope that helps. Good luck.

(This post was edited by nightjumps on Jun 30, 2004, 6:39 AM)

FrogNog  (C 34484)

Jun 30, 2004, 8:39 AM
Post #7 of 14 (992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nightjumps] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

If the standardized rigs aren't the jumper's normal equipment, would you also suggest a day of jumping the equipment before the "big day"?

EP drills are one thing, and they're valuable. Pulling, "housekeeping", and landing, without the pressure of 29 more jumps to do before night, would seem to add to that.

Rdutch  (D 24618)

Jun 30, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #8 of 14 (896 views)
Shortcut

Last year I was filming the Norgies, we did 43 in one day. 5 Jumpers with 2 rigs each and only 2 packers. The packers had the hard job!
The one thing I suggest is get a good night sleep, and eat a big breakfast. We didnt have time for lunch so it was powerbars and Go-fast after that. The 30 jumps shouldn't be that hard, I once did 25 in a day and packed every pack job. Its hard work but a lot of fun, good luck with it and remember to have cold beer waiting for when your done, for some reason it tastes a lot better after a hard day jumping.

nightjumps  (D 23385)

Jun 30, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #9 of 14 (888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FrogNog] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
If the standardized rigs aren't the jumper's normal equipment, would you also suggest a day of jumping the equipment before the "big day"?

That would be a great idea. Anything with safety in mind is good.

ZoneRat  (D 26968)

Jun 30, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #10 of 14 (859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nightjumps] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew yall would come through with the info!

Thanks to all!

(He's shootin' for it Monday July 5th.
I'll let ya know how it goes.Cool )

ZoneRat  (D 26968)

Jul 5, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #11 of 14 (750 views)
Shortcut

Well it was not to be.

Ya know how you can sometimes just sorta tell that something is a bad idea?

I got that feeling about this thing. Mismatched canopies, mismatched rigs, high heat/ humidity, zero preparation... Basically none of the things that yall suggested he do had been done.

This was looking like a set up for failure and an accident waiting to happen.

He was cool about it when I expressed my concerns and happily planned a birthday hybrid jump instead.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

They helped us make the right decision.

kelpdiver  (B 7)

Jul 6, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #12 of 14 (720 views)
Shortcut

Instead of jump count, do any people instead go for minutes of freefall? Instead of getting in as many hop n pops as possible, seems like it would be more fun and a bit safer to aim for 15 runs to 15 or 18k instead, doing well over 20 minutes.

A bit easier to arrange if the plane can do it, and your buddies can come along for more of them.

ZoneRat  (D 26968)

Jul 6, 2004, 8:17 AM
Post #13 of 14 (701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelpdiver] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Instead of jump count, do any people instead go for minutes of freefall? Instead of getting in as many hop n pops as possible, seems like it would be more fun and a bit safer to aim for 15 runs to 15 or 18k instead, doing well over 20 minutes.

A bit easier to arrange if the plane can do it, and your buddies can come along for more of them.

If time, money and effort is no object, then anything is possible.
The Most kick-ass Skydivey B-Day Thingy Ever

There are rules that govern jumps that are higher than 13.5k. The oxegen gets thin. You run the risk of hypoxia. In order to do the 15 runs to 15-18k properly, you'd need an oxegen tank on board... and friends willing to pay a little extra per jump ticket.

He'd been talking about doing the 30-jump thing literally for months. But it was all talk. When it came time, he'd done exactly nothing to make it actually happen. Disappointing. It would've been a cool thing to have been a part of.

ManBird  (D 28001)

Jul 6, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #14 of 14 (668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelpdiver] 30 jumps in one day [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Good idea. With a wingsuit, it's pretty easy to rack up the minutes. Between tracking and wingsuit jumps, I've been doing about 25 - 35 minutes every weekend so far this season. Smile

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)