Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Finger Trap Fids?

ramon  (D 26115)

Apr 16, 2001, 7:55 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2340 views)
Shortcut
Finger Trap Fids? Can't Post

I was ordering some rigging equipment from Para Gear (Tee Bodkins, temporary pins).

I ordered some Finger Trap Fids, so I can learn how to finger trap, but the website said they were made of plastic. They didn't have any metal ones.

Does anyone know where I can get metal ones? I don't want to bother my mentor to make me any, he does too much for me already.

thanks
ramon

DBTECH  (B 21186)

Apr 16, 2001, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2301 views)
Shortcut
Re: Finger Trap Fids? [In reply to] Can't Post

Finger trapping tool:

Make a "good" finger trapping tool. BTW: I hate Fids.

I would recommend getting a piece of 20 gauge stainless steel music wire, eighteen inches long. Bring the ends together/parallel and clamp very tight with a pair of vice grips. You should now have a loop with no defined other end. (as yet) Place a 12 penny nail or equivalent into a secured vice. Now place the wire loop over this nail/pin. Pull on the vice-grips to straighten out the wire. The end goal here, is to end up with an eye at the nail/pin end with the wires close together below that. When this is complete, then fold over the two free ends 180* about 1/2", and then wrap with friction tape, to form a handle.

You should now have a finger trapping tool eight+ inches long.

The tool will enter and exit the line side, braid.

Dave Brownell

wingnut  (D 27688)

Apr 18, 2001, 5:47 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2242 views)
Shortcut

db's method works very well! i've ben using this method to make closing loops for a while now!

<<wingnut>>

Yooper  (D 24374)

Apr 19, 2001, 10:44 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2209 views)
Shortcut

That sounds like a really good idea. Until now, i've just been using a really big needle.

Mizhakwit,
Chad

BadDog  (D 23279)

Apr 20, 2001, 5:03 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2202 views)
Shortcut

I hate the plastic fids too. I like to use the "big needle" when making Cypres loops.

CorporateLawyerDave aka BadDog

riggergreg  (D 17489)

May 1, 2001, 6:36 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Sunshine factory has metal fids for fingertrapping. once you learn how to use fids properly, they work great.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

May 8, 2001, 10:45 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2124 views)
Shortcut

The aluminum finger-trapping fids are available from some guy on the East Coast. Dave DeWolf will cheerfully share the name and address of that finger-trapping fool.
Alternately, you can make your own finger-trapping wires. Start with music wire or aircraft safety wire. Apparently music wire is the best, but I use aircraft lock wire because it is free from my friendly neighborhood aircraft mechanic. Use 20/1000 for Cypres cord, 30/1000 or 32/1000 for most suspension lines and 40/1000 for thick Dacron steering lines.

imdskydiver  (C 2457)

May 8, 2001, 4:05 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2106 views)
Shortcut

I half hitched my finger while releasing my brake lines and had it trapped tight against the ring . The pain was unbelievable to the point where i thought i was going to loose the top portion of my finger, I reached up with the other hand above the ring and pulled down enough to release the pressure and remove my finger,
Now that is what i call a "finger trap" !

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)