Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Where to start carve?

base698  (D 23456)

Mar 17, 2002, 10:55 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1759 views)
Shortcut
Where to start carve? Can't Post

When should you shift your weight to get a carve going in a swoop--on the plane out or after? I can't see why you'd want to start it before, but perhaps there too.

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Mar 17, 2002, 1:14 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Re: Where to start carve? [In reply to] Can't Post

Most likely what you will want to do in the beginning of learning is get it planed out first and then shift and let up some toggle pressure on the opposite side. Just remember to leave enough energy to get the canopy back over your head and shut it down. Otherwise...you may suffer from grass stains and dirt impact syndrome...Laugh

"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

hooknswoop  (D License)

Mar 17, 2002, 3:18 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Do not let up toggle pressure on one side. Carving in the swoop requires more flare from both toggles, similar to a flare turn. You have to pull one toggle and/or harness steer to get the carve going and flare more because you now have a horizontal component to your lift. In an aircraft, to turn and maintain altitude and airspeed requires more power and back pressure on the controls. If you do not add power to to the aircraft, it will slow in the turn. Quade, want to help on this one?

Hook

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Mar 17, 2002, 3:49 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1705 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Do not let up toggle pressure on one side.
Sorry...I guess that was a bad way to put it.....I guess I do a coordinated movement of slightly more pressure on the side I want to turn to and slightly less on the other. It's really mostly just shifting in the harness. The entire parachute system is highly loaded at this point and very sensitive. Doesn't take much more than a little lean in the direction you want to go. Of course.....I don't have a canopy capable of turning more than 20 degrees or so though. Just won't surf that far.....Smile I'll let you know what happens on the Stilletto....

Kirils  (D License)

Mar 17, 2002, 5:04 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1696 views)
Shortcut

You gonna be da bomb wit da Siletto, dude!!

Actually, I am quite interested how easy the skills you have demonstrated with a larger essentially non-eliptical canopy will port over to a smaller elipitical. Keep us posted and best of luck!

Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Mar 17, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1694 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am quite interested

So am I.....should be an interesting saga...Smile

MiataDRM  (A 38472)

Mar 17, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Such a smart ass!!!! Cool

**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Mar 17, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Such a smart ass!!!!

Actually I was being serious. You read tons of stuff on when and how you should downsize....what canopies are good...blah blah blahhhhhhh.... I have flown the dog shit out my current canopy and can make it do things that really suprise most people. They see a big square canopy and think that means conservative straight in approaches. Their jaw drops when I hook it and make it dive and get nice surf out of it. (Trust me...it takes some work...Smile) So....I have done about all I can with this canopy...now it's time for a new one. I think by MOST accounts I'm making a pretty conservative move. Some don't think so..... Now I get to test drive the theory and we'll see how it turns out. It's going to suck having to be conservative and learning a COMPLETELY differen't canopy. The pay off in the end will be worth it though. Happy Swooping!!!

spy38w

Mar 17, 2002, 8:07 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1668 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Trust me...it takes some work...
Just out of curiosity, approximately how many jumps per week do you make?

I'm just a newbie, I really don't know shit.

/Your ad Here\

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Mar 17, 2002, 8:55 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1659 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
approximately how many jumps per week do you make?

Not that many really. I'd say between 4-6 per weekend is pretty standard. I have missed VERY few weekends over the past year though.

diver123  (A 25373)

Mar 18, 2002, 4:23 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Dude, you jump an f-111 190! You're parachute is NOT a turf surfer no matter how good you are...

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)