Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Flare Turns

Zennie

Mar 14, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #1 of 3 (726 views)
Shortcut
Flare Turns Can't Post

I've heard this mentioned a few time in canopy control discussions.

On the high performance canopies do you generally perform this with a harness shift, with the toggles or both? Seems a harness shift would be a safer way to start learning this than with the toggles.

"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

axe96bam  (D 23380)

Mar 14, 2002, 8:37 PM
Post #2 of 3 (699 views)
Shortcut
Re: Flare Turns [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are talking about a flat turn this is achieved with the toggles. Go to half brakes and turn from there. Shifting in the harness causes the canopy to dive so that is not a flat turn. I have done a flat turn using brakes on a FX88 loaded at 1.9. So they are possible. I have also landed that canopy from half brakes in light wind without problems.
I hope we are talking about the same thing, otherwise just ignore the post.

Alex

Zennie

Mar 15, 2002, 6:21 AM
Post #3 of 3 (663 views)
Shortcut
Re: Flare Turns [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think so, but again, I'm not quite sure what it is and that's why I'm asking. Flat turn/braked turn, yeah, no problem.

I got the impression that a flare turn was executed during the flare, the result being the carving turnf surfs you see some swoopers do.

If I recall, it was noted that that is a valuable skill to have, beyond the carving surfs, because you may also need it to avoid people at flare time.

"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)