Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
I'm thinking of doing this



Mar 26, 2018, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 4 (649 views)
I'm thinking of doing this Can't Post


I'm from the land of sunny Singapore - but because of job my as an expat writer, I get to travel quite a bit, especially in Asia. I've always wanted to try this, but Singapore doesn't have a place where I can start this out. I'm usually away for a few months at a time.

So my question is, is it possible to go overseas for a short while to try this out, take classes and eventually do it without an instructor on my back?

And if you're an expat and interested in reading: give it a go!

(This post was edited by sanc1337 on Mar 26, 2018, 8:31 PM)

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Mar 26, 2018, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 4 (615 views)
Re: [sanc1337] I'm thinking of doing this [In reply to] Can't Post


The biggest issue would be staying current. You need to jump on a regular basis to keep your skills 'fresh' and be reasonably safe.

There are a couple DZs in Thailand, one or two in Japan, and a bunch in Australia. No clue what else is anywhere near you.

Your best bet would be to take a good sized chunk of time (a few weeks) and devote yourself to getting trained and licensed.

After that, you don't need to stay as current, but you still need to jump every so often to keep your skills up.


Mar 26, 2018, 8:31 PM
Post #3 of 4 (603 views)
Re: [wolfriverjoe] I'm thinking of doing this [In reply to] Can't Post

A few weeks is fine - I'm often in Japan for as long as that. Do I have to be a resident/citizen of the country to get a license?

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Mar 27, 2018, 7:43 AM
Post #4 of 4 (565 views)
Re: [sanc1337] I'm thinking of doing this [In reply to] Can't Post

No. The license is issued by the sanctioning body.

I'm not certain, but I think the DZs in Japan are USPA DZs. My copy of Parachutist lists 3 of them.

You can go to the "DZ Locator" tab on here, or search "United States Parachuting Association."

For the most part, each country has it's own organization. However, countries with very few DZs will often not go to all the effort of forming one, and just choose to associate with a different one.

And, again for the most part, countries will often recognize licenses from other places. For example, Canadian jumpers can jump in the US with a CSPA license.

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets


Search for (options)