Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013

 


Skytrooper

Aug 26, 2013, 2:42 AM
Post #1 of 17 (8964 views)
Shortcut
Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 Can't Post

http://www.ndr.de/regional/niedersachsen/oldenburg/fallschirmspringerin101.html

Short summary from the news article.
- Woman, 34 years old, experienced skydiver.
- 4 jumpers in the plane, 3.500m exit, she left first.
- Another skydiver said that her parachute didnt open.


irishrigger  (D 297)

Aug 26, 2013, 4:54 AM
Post #2 of 17 (8680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skytrooper] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ndr.de/...rmspringerin101.html


BIGUN  (D 23385)

Aug 26, 2013, 6:13 AM
Post #3 of 17 (8474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [irishrigger] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

Google Translate version:

A 34-year-old woman from Oldenburg came on Saturday with a parachute jump killed. According to police, the Oldenburger was for many years members of the Parachute Club of Westerstede (Ammerland district) and was considered very experienced. The woman was started with three other jumpers against 14 clock with a Cessna from the airport field. At an altitude of 3,500 meters, it jumped the first off the plane. A subsequent Springer already saw during the flight that the parachute did not open the victim.
Extensive search operation with helicopters

Members of the Parachute clubs searched in connection surrounding forests and corn fields. They were supported by the police and the fire brigade. Also, a police helicopter was used. The woman was eventually found several hundred yards from the airfield. The rescuers could only find the death of the Oldenburger.
Parachute is examined

The exact cause of the accident was not yet clear on Sunday. "We have gained no new knowledge, the investigations go on Monday," said a police spokesman. In the coming weeks, should the equipment - are examined - especially the main parachute unopened.



Toddnkaya1

Aug 27, 2013, 2:19 PM
Post #4 of 17 (6682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

If the main does not open, can you deploy reserve?


GLIDEANGLE  (D 30292)

Aug 27, 2013, 2:48 PM
Post #5 of 17 (6585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Toddnkaya1] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

Toddnkaya1 wrote:
If the main does not open, can you deploy reserve?

That is the plan!


anne  (C 31858)

Sep 4, 2013, 2:12 PM
Post #6 of 17 (5489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skytrooper] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

The latest news say that her gear was found pretty far away from her body. So now they're suspecting that she fell out of her harness.

Source: http://www.nwzonline.de/ammerland/blaulicht/weiter-raetsel-um-fallschirm-unfall_a_8,3,1357438684.html


strife  (D 5457)

Sep 5, 2013, 12:27 AM
Post #7 of 17 (5159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anne] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

wow thats the second one in a few weeks


potatoman  (Student)

Sep 5, 2013, 12:37 AM
Post #8 of 17 (5151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strife] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

you'd expect to come out of a harness due to opening force, not with a chute not opening.

Unless it was backpack like worn, fixated on getting strapped up or something. Ouch.

I hate when I see people walk to the plane with their rigs only over the shoulders, and legs not through legstraps yet.


christelsabine  (D 10828)

Sep 5, 2013, 2:21 AM
Post #9 of 17 (5076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anne] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

anne wrote:
The latest news say that her gear was found pretty far away from her body. So now they're suspecting that she fell out of her harness.

Source: http://www.nwzonline.de/..._8,3,1357438684.html


pchapman  (D 1014)

Sep 5, 2013, 4:56 AM
Post #10 of 17 (4938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [potatoman] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually when I looked at that article in German, it does say that the main was not opened, but that the "reserve had functioned", despite the rig being found farther away from the body.

At least it says that the cops are getting the assistance of a 'parachuting expert' and that an initial report is expected in 4-5 weeks.


Divalent  (C 40494)

Sep 5, 2013, 7:08 AM
Post #11 of 17 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

pchapman wrote:
Actually when I looked at that article in German, it does say that the main was not opened, but that the "reserve had functioned", despite the rig being found farther away from the body...

A reserve only deployment raises the possibility that the rig was not properly strapped on, and she was attempting to fix it when the AAD fired. (Like the video of the guy with the unattached check strap that was circulating here a short while back; only she was not so lucky.)


topdocker  (D 12018)

Sep 5, 2013, 8:48 AM
Post #12 of 17 (4614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Divalent] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

Divalent wrote:
pchapman wrote:
Actually when I looked at that article in German, it does say that the main was not opened, but that the "reserve had functioned", despite the rig being found farther away from the body...

A reserve only deployment raises the possibility that the rig was not properly strapped on, and she was attempting to fix it when the AAD fired. (Like the video of the guy with the unattached check strap that was circulating here a short while back; only she was not so lucky.)

Or it was off in freefall and as the rig descended on its own, the AAD fired. If the distance from her is pretty great that might be more likely.

top


RMURRAY

Sep 5, 2013, 9:17 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [topdocker] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

standard questions...
what is the rig, reserve and aad involved here?


nutellaontoast  (A 55700)

Sep 6, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [topdocker] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

topdocker wrote:
Divalent wrote:
pchapman wrote:
Actually when I looked at that article in German, it does say that the main was not opened, but that the "reserve had functioned", despite the rig being found farther away from the body...

A reserve only deployment raises the possibility that the rig was not properly strapped on, and she was attempting to fix it when the AAD fired. (Like the video of the guy with the unattached check strap that was circulating here a short while back; only she was not so lucky.)

Or it was off in freefall and as the rig descended on its own, the AAD fired. If the distance from her is pretty great that might be more likely.

top

Wonder what the terminal velocity of a skydiverless rig is. I wouldn't be shocked if it were under AAD activation speed.


devildog  (C 40302)

Sep 6, 2013, 5:30 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nutellaontoast] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

nutellaontoast wrote:
topdocker wrote:
Divalent wrote:
pchapman wrote:
Actually when I looked at that article in German, it does say that the main was not opened, but that the "reserve had functioned", despite the rig being found farther away from the body...

A reserve only deployment raises the possibility that the rig was not properly strapped on, and she was attempting to fix it when the AAD fired. (Like the video of the guy with the unattached check strap that was circulating here a short while back; only she was not so lucky.)

Or it was off in freefall and as the rig descended on its own, the AAD fired. If the distance from her is pretty great that might be more likely.

top

Wonder what the terminal velocity of a skydiverless rig is. I wouldn't be shocked if it were under AAD activation speed.

I would be. Its relatively heavy in a a little amount of space.


Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Moderator
Jan 23, 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skytrooper] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

Was an official report ever released on this?


Susanne_S  (D 5984)

Jan 25, 2014, 1:10 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Fatality - Felde, Germany - 24.08.2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a report last year at the german safty symposium. From my memory:
Rig came off in freefall, Cypres fired later. Very large rig for tiny person. Sad story.



Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

 


Search for (options)